“My last visit to Salalah Crowne Plaza resort Salalah”

Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Salalah
Reviewed June 27, 2012

It is an Excelent and quiet Resort for vacation and busniess , When I visit this Resort I feel like I am at home , Hotel Staff are very friendly and helpfull , Weather is excelent and hotel managment is great . I feel like I am in Hawai

Room Tip: Ask front Desk
2  Thank Raffi B
GV123, Management Team at Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Raffi,

Greetings from you favorite destination!!

Thank you very much for the wonderful review and choosing Crowne Plaza while in Salalah.

We are extremely delighted to hear that you enjoy the facilities of the Hotel. Nothing else is of greater importance to us than to have our guests remain our guests for every stay.

Out team here is excited to hear that you were happy with the services provided by them.

We thank you for this wonderful review and recommending us to future travelers and at the same time we look forward to your next stay with us.

Regards,

george.verghese@ihg.com

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have just returned from a weekend at the Crowne Plaza and I am amazed that this hotel is billed as 5 star. From the moment I walked in it smelt musty and damp. The main pool was out of commission, which would not have been a problem if i had been told of this when I booked only a few weeks prior. The aircon in the room did not work properly and leaked. The mini bar was empty and was utterly filthy. The bell boy said that there where chairs on the balcony and he would arranged for a table to be delivered so that we could enjoy the sea view. Great I thought, but on our return from a walk on the beach, not only had the table not been delivered, but the chairs had vanished. We ordered lunch , which did arrive promptly, but maybe that was because the staff had forget to warm it! The beach bar and the poolside bar where both closed for the whole weekend, although they were meant to be open. I was served a soft drink that was 8 months out of date. I could go on and you could ask, why didn't I complain. If it wasn't for the fact that I had won the weekend as a prize and I wasn't paying for it I would have. The only plus side was that the settings is beautiful. I definitely will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Dear Gary_Robbo_Robinson,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed at Holiday Inn C.P. Salalah for 8 nights recently.
The hotel is resort style and spread out over a large area directly on the beach.
The area adjacent to the hotel does not have any restaurants or stores

-Reception: Reception experience was ok but a little subdued. Staff did not describe the various features of the hotel.

-Room: Very spacious with nice décor
-Room safe: YES
-Room sound isolation: OK, except I could sometimes hear the furniture scraping on the floor in the adjacent room. The room door has a good pressure closure, so the doors don’t slam.
-Room lighting: Plentiful - 3 lamps + wall and ceiling.
-Room ventilation and air conditioning: Excellent, with easy control panel.
-Room fridge or mini-bar: YES – and they will empty it if you want to store some of your own goodies.
-Room kettle: YES, with free daily water bottles (2) + tea and coffee. Real glasses and mugs.
-Room amenities: YES and plentiful, including some unique items.
-Room bed and sleep quality: Excellent bed comfort with premium linens and great pillows. Included in the amenities is a sleep kit which consists of an aroma therapy spray for your pillows and scented oil for your pulse points that is supposed to calm you before sleep. Neat!!
-Room work desk: Average sized work desk with a glass top (optical computer mouse will not work on glass top). The work chair looks like a dining room style chair (not adjustable). The chair makes a loud scraping noise when moved on the marble floor, as there are no felt pads underneath.
-Room internet and telephone: Reliable internet with a good Wi-Fi signal. Three telephones in the room.
-Room TV: Excellent flat screen TV with many English channels, including free premium channels that broadcast in High definition. During my 8 day stay, all channels worked for the first 4 days, but some of the movie channels didn’t work (OSN Cinema, OSN premiere, Fox) afterwards. A technician investigated, but was not able to fix the problem. He thought the problem was with the satellite service.
-Room storage: Good amount of storage options (drawers, hangers)
-Room iron and ironing board: YES

-Bathroom: Good functional design with many free amenities. Water temperature and pressure was excellent (takes a while for water to become hot). The hair dryer is located in a strange location – in the work desk drawer. A cleaning hose is available instead of bidet.

-Security: Electronic proximity card for room access, but anyone can access the hallways
- Business center: YES

-Housekeeping and cleanliness: When I first checked in, the room was spotless, however over the 8 days I stayed, some cleaning in my room was overlooked (I saw the same stains on mirrors and floors several days in a row) I didn’t see any housekeeping supervisor going around with a checklist (as I’ve seen at some other hotels).

-On site shopping: There is a small shopping arcade on the ground floor; however there are no food items sold. Personal and pharmacy items sold are very limited to one small display case. Hilton on the other hand has their “Pantry” store where weary travellers can purchase a few nice snacks for their room.

-Restaurant: The free breakfast buffet was very good (fresh cut fruits, eggs made to order, whole wheat breads) The dinner was OK, but based on the meals I had it didn’t feel like I was eating in a high end resort.

-Gym and Leisure: The gym is located in a separate building beside the resort where you mix with non-hotel guests. The facilities are very comprehensive, including a squash court, golf driving range and mini golf course. There are several pools and with dining and bar facilities.

-Parking: Free and easy outdoor

-Airport Shuttle: Free and works on a fixed schedule

-Maintenance: During my stay, I saw maintenance activities constantly occurring (emptying the pool to clean it, lawn and garden maintenance, etc…), however it looks like other items are being overlooked, like; one lamp shade in my room had huge brown water stains on it, the other lamp shade was all dented. Other items on the property show signs of neglect, like the beach chairs, where the pads are just left in their positions of disarray, looking dirty. The palm tree coverings are also coming apart.

-Staff: I encountered excellent staff (like Sharif in the restaurant) and others, however other staff seem to walk around looking half asleep or sullen.

-What I liked
> Good ambience in a resort style with lots of potential
> Sleep quality
> The room features and amenities
> The best TV system I’ve seen in a hotel (except for the channels that stopped working)
> The breakfast

-To Improve
> Improve staff training for people engagement skills. Also, when the TV channels didn’t work, I asked the maintenance person to contact me with the reason, but there was not follow-up
> Use a housekeeping supervisor with check-list so that room cleaning items don’t get overlooked
> Re-focus the maintenance efforts (make cleaning or replacing stained lamp shades a priority)
> Add an adjustable work chair for business travellers
> Add felt to the bottom of furniture so it doesn’t scrape loudly
> Allow guest to purchase a few small food and personal hygiene items in the shopping arcade

-Conclusion
I like this hotel a lot, but there are some items that bug me. What bugs me the most is the items to improve look to be easily fixable with no large investment. I’ve read previous reviews which also point out some of these items, with management responding that they will immediately rectify the situation. Only time will tell if the wake-up call comes.

Room Tip: My room was at the end of the hallway, so there was very little traffic
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank deathracer
GV123, Management Team at Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write a review that is so detailed and so specific. Certainly a review that is so detailed from a senior reviewer will help us tremendously and this is very much appreciated.

We have gone through the points in detail and are pleased to note that at the outset you like the hotel a lot and there were specific services such as the breakfast, TV in the room, amenities, the quality of pillows and the bed that you liked extremely along with the ambiance of the resort.

However we are disappointed that we still had areas that we could improve on to ensure your stay was truly a remarkable experience.

We will ensure that the points for improvement that you have mentioned are taken care off and are fixed at the earliest. Some of them are already on our list and we have been working on them

Our goal is to exceed the needs of our guest and we want to ensure that you experience this when you stay with us next time. Please let me know on george.verghese@ihg.com if you have plans to travel to this part of the world soon and I will be happy to take if forward to ensure you have a great experience.

Once again we thank you for such a great and honest review and we look forward to having you with us sometime soon.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was my first time in Salalah and wont be my last. There are basically 3 hotels to choose from -The Marriott (which is a little remote), The Hilton (which is rated just above this hotel but had a poor review from one of my colleagues) or the Crowne Plaza. I decided therefore to give the CP a go whilst here on business. At the time of my visit ( May) the hotel was a little quiet.However, the staff, food and facilities were all excellent and certainly far better than the Crowne Plaza's sister hotel in Muscat. The private beach which adjoins the hotel is very well kept and a life guard was on duty throughout despite guest numbers being very low. The Dolphin Restaurant is without doubt the place to eat with BBQ's and Theme nights continuously changing throughout the week. The rooms are clean, spacious with good air con and a well stocked fridge.The hotel also has a pub which serves bar snacks, a extensive selection of alcoholic drinks,sports TV and a band from South America playing most nights. All in all this hotel exceeded my expectations and considering the lack of choice for good quality hotels in the area I would say that you cant go wrong with this one.

Room Tip: Just got to overlook the pools and beach

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the review and choosing Crowne Plaza Salalah for your stay during your first visit to Salalah.

We are proud that you choose us over our competitors during your recent stay and at the same time we are happy that we were able to surprise you and exceeded your expectation.

We at Crowne Plaza believe that our Guests are Travelling for Success and we play a major role in this. We want to do this by offering great service and the best facilities.

This being our goal we thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to having you with us for continuous success when you stay with us for business or leisure.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

The hotel has the best location in Salalah comparing to the other beach properties in the city. Also they have the best beach in the area. The hotel is quite old but the standard is maintained.

Rooms are quite good however not all the rooms with balconies!

Breakfast was very good. We tried dinner at the dolphin restaurant by the beach and this was an amazing experience.

Rates are competitive and reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mohi_Khater

Dear Mr. Khater,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review and choosing Crowne Plaza while in Salalah for your recent stay.

We are extremely delighted to hear that you enjoyed the rooms, the beach and food offered in our resort.

We at Crowne Plaza Salalah strive to deliver Seamless Service to our guests who are travelling for success during business or leisure and we are delighted that this objective of ours has been met.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was an overall nice experience however do not eat or drink at the resort. It is extremely expensive. I can really recommend this place for a couple!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MABE_82

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to write your comments. We constantly strive to exceed our guest expectation and offer different and better experience every time.

We respect your view pertaining to prices of food & beverage and would like to share that our prices have not been changed for some time now and these prices are competitive compared to similar standard hotels in the region.

As a Resort, we not only provide a product but also an experience and a level of quality that is expected from Crowne Plaza Hotels.

As we are committed to create a memorable experience for all our guest, we look forward to having you with us in the near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

I originally booked the Marriott, but found a better deal at the Crowne Plaza and appreciated being much closer to Salalah. The hotel is a somewhat older property but well kept with good ammenities and the staff at the desk are incredibly helpful. The private beach is excellent and Salalah is only a few minutes away. The quality of the food is good, a bit pricey, but food service is quite slow. I got a rate that included the breakfast buffet only, so we ate some dinners on the property and went out other times. Taxis can be expensive but renting a car at the hotel is cheap. I also enjoyed sitting at the Arabic Majlis in the evening to enjoy drinks at the Dolphin Bar. It's a great setting to relax and enjoy the beach.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Dear Patrick,

Thank you very much for your time writing this review and choosing Crowne Plaza Salalah for your recent stay though you were booked at another hotel.

We are happy that you liked the hotel overall as a great product and you found the place great for Relaxation and Restoration.

However we understand from your review that we still have some improvement to do in areas such as speed of service, which we assure will be taken care off with the help of training of our colleagues.

Once again we thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Salalah and look forward to having you with us for another successful stay.