“very nice hotel, not a very nice location”
Review of Hilton Salalah

Hilton Salalah
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Salalah
Reviewed March 13, 2009

I chose to stay at the Hilton because I was in Salalah for work at the port, which is nearby. But that's this hotel's problem. The rooms are big and comfortable, the grounds are very pleasent, the service is friendly, the food is fine, the room's Internet connection was excellent. But as you sit on the beautiful wide sandy beach with the Indian Ocean lapping at your feet, the port facilities are clearly visible right in front of you, container ships are off in the distance, and there's a power station about a mile or so to your right. It really shouldn't matter. The water is clean and the beach is quiet (the isolated location is about a 10-minute $15 cab ride into town). But somehow it ruins the resort hotel effect. It didn't bother me because I was there for work, and was able to get in a nice swim at the begining and end of every work day, which is my idea of paradise. I wouldn't choose this hotel for a destination holiday. But if you are traveling through Oman for work or pleasure, and want to unwind at the sea for a few days, this place would be perfectly fine. I don't like swimming pools but the one here is attractive. There's a kid's pool and a children's play set. The hotel is generous with beach towels. The buffet dinners and breakfasts were well prepared, tasty and abundant. They were just too ``international'' for my tastes. After several days there I never got any idea what Omanis eat. I've read complaints about service, but I found everyone pleasant and helpful. From everything I've heard and read, there are stunning full day excursions that can be done from the hotel to deserted beaches and into the mountains. I didn't have time. The clientele is an odd mix. The main groups seemed to be Swedes on package tour holidays and Western oil and security workers from the Gulf getting some R&R. The latter included a few too many burly incomprehensible tattooed Brits drinking beer, but they kept out of everyone's way and behaved. There's a rather surreal pub/disco with a Filippina girls band at night. My room was large, clean and quiet. All in all, a good well run property, just a shame about the view.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank marcopolo1964
Write a ReviewReviews (1,027)

Reviewed February 24, 2009

This was a lovely clean modern hotel and I couldn't fault the rooms. Large comfortable bed, internet access, tea/coffee making facilities. The only let down was the view from the beach. The hotel was situated out of town which was fine but was near to the biggest port in southern Arabia so there were mostly container ships going across the sky line in front of the hotel and a lovely view of the cranes!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daisynook2
Reviewed June 8, 2008

This was in May 2008 when my wife and me after a long business trip to Muscat decided to unwind ourselves and were suggested to go Salalah , as usual I booked the hotel by calling the property.
This hotel was a total misfit as a choice since we had to experience a substandard quality of food and overall services.Room ambience was too ordinary. A simple request took them ages to deliver. When we talk about product, Crowne Plaza Salalah was much better since we went for dinner couple of times and found their quality and services as per the 5 star standards. It was a mistake to book Hilton Salalah since it never gave us anything which could even meet our small expectations. Last but not least their swimming pool area is also not great and we will always prefer Crowne Plaza intead of Hilton incase we plan to visit again to Salalah.

Thanks

Jason Barbour

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank Jasonbarbour
Reviewed May 17, 2008

The Hotel itself is small, 4 floors, and kind of secluded. So, if you are looking to just get away from it all and stay in the resort, with not too big of a crowd then this is the place for you. However, If you are looking for a more lively resort with more people and on a much larger scale, then the crown plaza is the choice for you.

As for the hotel itself. The hotel is very nice, rooms are very spacious, and overall aesthetics are very good, although I must point out that the beach was not very nice, in fact, the whole time I was there nobody ventured onto the beach, they just stayed within the confines of the pool area.

Service is ok, we had a bit of a problem with our booking, having booked a 1 room 4 adult on expedia, the "front counter manager" informed us that they do not allow that (even though we were able to book that way online) and that we have to pay for a second room. He was pretty rude, made snide remarks and was not willing to budge, even though it wasn't our fault. After much arguing, we were able to talk to the reservations manager, who was very polite and understanding and found some loop hole to get us 50% off, thus making it the same price.

Like I said before, the beach is poor, and you can see huge oil rigs and equipment in the distance, but the pool area is very nice. This however, does not even come close to the Crowne Plaza, which is very well organized and has a huge private beach that just looked more appealing, and the pool area also had driving ranges, mini golf, areas for the kids, 3 drinks stations, massage tables for him and her, and just seemed better overall.

Also, the subaqua diving people at the Hilton are very friendly and did a great job for our dolphin sighting adventure (saw more than 5 whales!).

Finally, the food. Ate breakfast both days we stayed there, and It was very good, good selection, custom made omelettes and pancakes and waffles. Ate dinner once, which was also very good, the canaloni was delicious. We ate once at the Crowne Plaza, and the food seemed to be ok, but not great.

For me, if I go to Salalah again, I will definitely stay at the Crowne Plaza. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't recommend Hilton to some (especially older couples, people looking for some peace and quite)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank tottihead
Reviewed April 23, 2008

The hotel rooms are very pleasant indeed. They are spacious, clean and have good facilities.

The hotel does let itself down though on the quality of the service. The food in the restaurant buffet is of good quality but, you have to repeatedly ask for staff to remove plates so that you can continue with your next course.

Service around the pool is also virtually non-existent. We were left with a tray of dirty plates, glasses etc for four hours by our sunbeds. I am quite sure it would have been longer, had we not left then.!

There is no entertainment for families, just a very bad band playing in a bar that will not allow children in.

It is a great place to escape to if you don't mind the lack of service and entertainment. The location on the beach is lovely although they don't show any photo's of the huge great port that is just to the right of the hotel or the cement works just down the road!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank its2hot
Reviewed September 20, 2007

We stayed here during a work trip, it was an excellent way to un wind and was extremely luxirous. The location is bizarre but set on a nice beach, shared with Camels though.

The hotels facilities are fantastic, lovely pool and area.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank matt_williams386
Reviewed August 14, 2007

I liked this hotel for one major reason "REVIEWS" I love this site and reviews on it. As said by other reviewers it was fantastic hotel, with great garden and pool design. When i went with my family "as middle eastern" we liked this hotel for its calmness and different services. The rooms is tidy , but the air condition is that much cold, may be i wasnt lucky with my roomm but it was always around 23c which is not that cold for me in counting the humidity out side. The breakfast and different restaurants, specially the one near the coast are very good and very good barbique. After the breakfast you can go out and take a taxi for a full day for only 25 Omani Rials, which you take you for mostly every scenary in Salalah. In the night you can choose from swimming in the pool or set in the out side cafe and have some Shisha which very good. Nice stay and perfect hotel. But i hope they improve the air conditioner.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family