“good hotel”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Salalah
veendam, The Netherlands
“good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

price for beer too high. hotel nice and clean! location good close to work. for tourist a little bit out of city center. service very good and helpfull. for a sun vacation the best place. rooms are very quiet.

Nader H, Manager at Hilton Salalah, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Hermannus R , We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the time you took to send us this message regarding your recent stay in our Resort. We are pleased to note that in general you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to make your experience memorable. Looking forwarded to welcoming you back to our resort till then, wish you and your good family all the best.
Have a very nice day!
nader.halim@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I don't want to sound negative, because really it wasn't bad. However there were some simple things that could've improved the overall impression.

Upon arrival we've been informed that our room is ready (earlier than expected). Positive. However the room has two single beds. Negative. (Especially for a newly wed couple).

The issue was resolved quickly and we were even sent a lovely complimentary cake.

The hotel is mostly occupied by middle-aged guests from Northern Europe who escape the frost on an "all in" package charter tour. It's not a party place. Very peaceful. Good for kids too.

The hotel has a number of restaurants and bars all of which are ok, albeit rather expensive.

We were bothered by mosquitos. When asked at the reception it was suggested we buy a cream. Negative. This is not the answer you expect at a 5 star resort. Midnight hunt with towels and newspapers took care of that, but this isn't the most efficient solution. Hotel staff take note. There are special anti mosquito gadgets YOU can by at the shop.

Moving around is best done in a rented car. There are taxis that tend to cost 7 Riyals (20 USD), which is unreasonable. If you don't mind walking 100m, you can catch a cab from the street for 1,5-2 riyals (6-7 USD), which is acceptable. Exploring the regional landmarks can be done by yourselves or with a guide. A good local guide with an SUV will charge around 65-80 riyals for a 6-7 hour excursion. It is worth sharing that price between 4 travellers.

The beach is nice, but the view is a little obscured by the local port which is nearby.

The region has a different climate to the rest of GCC. In the summer there is a monsoon season. The whole desert turns green. To enjoy this you should come in August - September.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nader H, Manager at Hilton Salalah, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Dimtorch, Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Salalah Resort, Sultanate of Oman and for taking the time to write to us. I would like to start my reply with an appreciation note for the constructive feedback and pointing to the good things which you have experienced in our resort. Kindly be acknowledged that your comments are noted and will be communicated with the concerned departments. Please feel free to contact me personally for the next visit while I ensure you that the team and I will do the utmost to accommodate all of your requests and preferences. Looking forwarded to welcoming you back to our resort till then, wish you and your good family all the best.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Am writing this on behalf of myself and colleagues.
We recently stayed at the Hilton Salalah. There were more than 25 of us patronizing the hotel, as we were there for a company retreat. After checking in around 10.30pm after a long flight, I found out that my ground floor balcony door could not be locked. Called the reception and they sent an engineering staff, who took almost an hour to sort out the problem. By then it was almost midnight and I had an early start the next day. I called reception to make a complaint that the room should have been checked before any guest checks in. The response I got from the reception was I have the right to complain if I want and that they can't stop me. I asked for late checkout on the departure day. The response I got was to keep trying and maybe I might be lucky. The reception staff told me to try again in the night before, and when I did, I was told to try again next morning. When I checked again with reception the next morning, they asked me to try again in two hours, and it went on and on, and finally, I got the same answer: hotel was full, no way I could get a late check out beyond 12 pm - not even an hour. on the first night, I called about the noise outside by the pool due to a party going on, and the response from the reception was they could not do anything about that, and the party would end by 2.30am.

Overall all my colleagues were very disappointed with the poor service - guests get locked out of their room before check out time. Card key was automatically disabled at 12pm, regardless of whether the guests have checked out or not. Extremely inflexible. Also around 10.30 am onwards of the check out day, hotel staff started knocking on doors to constantly remind guests to check out, and also kept calling the guest on the phone to ask if they were ready to check out.

Very unprofessional. Hotel staff did not apologize or pretend to be apologetic at all but blamed their system for this.

Poor quality of food in the hotel - not worth the price.

No wireless in room and everything must be paid for. I had to request for slippers and bathrobe. No cotton bud or vanity set provided unlike other hotels in the same category.

Better off staying in Crowne Plaza hotel. Better value for money. Hilton Salalah is TOO EXPENSIVE.

Overall a lousy experience - paying 4/5 Star hotel price but getting 2/3 star service.

3 Thank WillC426
Nader H, Manager at Hilton Salalah, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear WillC426, I would like to start my reply with an appreciation note for the constructive and detailed feedback. Meantime, please accept my apology for not having the recent stay up to your expectation . Rest assured that the management has seriously taken your valuable comment into consideration for the immediate action.Looking forwarded to welcoming you back to our resort till then, wish you and your good family all the best.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Have just had a two week's of Bliss at the Hilton Salalah, Oman...
Fantastic weather, Beautiful hotel, Warm friendly staff and excellent food, Needless to say I returned to work in the UK fully recharged for 2014.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Nader H, Manager at Hilton Salalah, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear KellyO423, Many thanks for your constructive feedback and for giving us the chance to know about your experience. Pleased to learn about your satisfaction with your stay and looking forwarded to welcoming you back to our resort .Till then, wish you and your good family all the best.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have had nothing but good vibes all through my visits to Hitlon Hotels. All Hilton hotels and affiliates were a breathe of fresh air and will definitely take my family back to pure bliss, professionalism and respect. Thank you Hilton for a great stay as always!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Nader H, Manager at Hilton Salalah, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Dj M, Thank you very much for your nice comment and looking forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future, till then, wish you all the best.
Mannheim, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

very pleasant overall athmosphere. very comitted and friendly staff. There is nothing more to say. It's nonesense that trip advisor requiers at least 200 characters for this assesment!_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Nader H, Manager at Hilton Salalah, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Jochen K , I would like to start my reply with an appreciation note for the constructive feedback and pointing to the good things which you have experienced in our resort. We are pleased to note that you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to make your experience memorable. Looking forwarded to welcoming you back to our resort till then, wish you and your good family all the best.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Nice hotel and friendly service, location is very near to port, convenient for our work, hotel beach view is good. rate is ok, can acceptable and staff very nice attitude,feel like staying at home. Nice hotel and friendly service, location is very near to port, convenient for our work, hotel beach view is good. rate is ok, can acceptable and staff very nice attitude,feel like staying at home.

Nader H, Manager at Hilton Salalah, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Guo D , Thank you very much for you nice comment and looking forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future, till then, wish you all the best.