“Strange and uncomfortable pool encounter”
Review of Al Falaj Hotel

Al Falaj Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Ruwi
Reviewed April 9, 2013

On day two of our trip, we decided to go down to the pool in the late afternoon to relax after our day of exploring. It was rather crowded with several families enjoying the main pool. Because my daughter is young (5 years) I insisted she splash only in the children's pool. My older child, a 16 yr old son, decided not to enter the pool at all. (He explained that the bulk of the people in the main pool were pre-teen boys and he didn't feel comfortable knowing the things boys of that age sometimes do in the pool.) This is the reason that I, also, decided to stay out and instead kept near my daughter in the kiddie pool. We were at the pool area for a total of 43 minutes during which time I took notice of the pool staff walking about surveying the guests and periodically readjusting equipment. One of them approached me and asked if I was a guest and after I responded that I, indeed, was also asked for my room number. Once I had responded, he proceeded to walk away so I called to him "Is there a problem?" and he said "No. Not at all."

I must explain that we were the only persons of African descent at the pool, and apparently at the entire hotel during our stay. The bulk of the other guests at the pool were Indian although there were also a few Arabs as well. I am not generally one to pay much attention to racial disparities nor would I attempt to find race as the driving factor for our being singled out. We remained approximately 12 minutes after this during which time the staff person did not approach nor question any other guests. We finally left the pool when several older boys went into the children's pool and became rowdy, splashing wildly and my daughter decided to get out. I informed the front desk staff, who had no explanation for it, and decided then that we would check out a day early.

We were already disappointed about the size and quality of our room due to the reviews of others of this hotel which I checked prior to booking, so this didn't help my perception of th hotel at all. I was uncertain as to whether or not we should stay on after seeing the room because there were three of us and we planned to stay for three days. However, when I checked the map of locations that we planned to visit, I found that it was ideally located for acces to the Mutrah Souk and Old Muscat which were tops on our list, which is why we gave it a shot. I will also add that the surrounding neighborhood was somewhat dodgy which I found troubling as I was travelling with children.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Magenta_Sunrise
alwasil, General Manager at Al Falaj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your email. We appreciate customers who let us know when things aren’t right. On behalf the team I am sorry for any inconvenience this misunderstanding may have caused you.”Our procedure at the pool is that all our clients are asked to produce an ID when entering the pool at the pool reception. Most of our health and sports center clients are regular local residents who come through the pool entrance by showing heir Health Club Membership cards to the receptionist at the entrance. Every ones identification is checked before entering pool area at the entrance and pool staff are well aware of the members. In case of any doubt of any identification pool staff may ask for identifications. The Hotel pool is very popular among the local resident’s families and summer evening can be very busy on some days.
You may also be interested to know that our regular standard room has an space of 25 square meters and equipped with a large bed and facilities to accommodate two adults.
The hotel is ideally located in near the historical old city of Muscat and near very well reputed residential arrear with major financial institutors and educational institutes within close proximity.
“I’m sorry for any disappointment you may have experienced at the pool side. Once again please do accept our apologies and we look forward to welcome you bank again next time you are visiting Muscat.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

At the start trying to book this hotel online and by email was a bit of a hassle. Online it kept saying rooms were not available even though I was told by email that they were. I wanted to book online to redeem the stay 3 days but pay for 2 offer which the consultant I was emailing wouldn't let me use if I book with him. In the end I booked via email. This was a tad annoying as if a deal is available on the internet it should also be available via email communications.
Anyway we arrived at the hotel and I am glad I did check in here, we got there quite early but instead of making us wait until afternoon to check in they showed us our room at about 9 am.

The room was a nice decent size for a twin room which was very clean, my own qualm is the bathroom...its not a major problem but its not as new as the rest of the bedroom is...it has a little mildew in some of the corner but this wasn't enough to put me off.

The hotel is in a good location, its about 25 minutes from the airport and not too far from the Corniche and Souk! There are cabs outside all the time willing to take you anywhere, you just need to haggle with them! A ride from the airport is 10 Riyal and a ride to the Corniche/Souk is about 2 and a half/3 Riyal. If you want to be able to have a quiet night at the end of a busy day but yet still explore what Muscat has to offer then I would say stay here, if you want a hotel on the beach then this isn't the place for you.

The hotel guests have full use of a gym on site, the gym boasts a sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi so this is definetly worth checking out.

The swimming pool facilities are clean and a nice temperature, you are able to hire out beach towels for the day from a little room just off the side of the swimming pools. This facility is free. We actually took these down to the beach with us on a number of occasions and there was no problem with this.

The restaurants in the hotel are probably its best features. There are three...an Indian, Japanese and International.

We tried the Japanese on the 8th floor and the food and service was just really good!
The International restaurant (Souq cafe) also doubles up as the breakfast area. Breakfast at the hotel is one of the best I have ever had at a hotel, I would recommend the omelettes made to order. We had dinner at the restaurant on one of the evenings also and the waiters could not do enough for us. They have a buffet option in the evening plus the ability to order off the menu.

Some parts of the hotel and the furthest lift to the reception have a weird musty smell in them, its not too off putting but definetly noticeable. Maybe something the hotel could address.

I would definetly stay in this hotel again and it was a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at the Al Falaj hotel for roughly 4 months while working in Oman and from the friendly helpful staff to the delicious cuisines in the restaurants, I truly did find it sad to leave what I had come to consider a home away from home. The beds are very comfortable, more so than others I had slept in in Oman. You would think that eating at the same restaurants nearly every meal for 4 month would become tiresome, although this is not the case. I highly suggest the salmon roll appetizer with hummus, and anything at the Japanese restaurant! Delicious! I became friends with the staff and cannot wait to visit them all again. Thank you for your Omani hospitality and making a foreign land seem more familiar and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Right from my arrival at Al Falaj hotel, till the very end of my 2 month stay there, I was treated with friendliness and attentiveness. I even had a fruit basket waiting for me upon arrival!

Al Falaj's selling points are the incredible food (downstairs and at Japanese sushi restaurant), cleanliness, friendly service and hands-on approach to management.

Although somewhat outside of the city centre, the hotel is close to some of my favourite hang-outs - Al Bustan Palace and the Yacht Club.

I was sad to leave my home away from home and will surely be back one day.

- Hannah, Asia Business Channel

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed March 17, 2013

100 euros for a "4 star hotel", but what you get is:

-a very small room which, despite having asked to be non-smoking, smelled of smoke

-a broken shower

-very old-looking and stained bathroom.

The pool is nice, and breakfast was good, but this hotel definitely doesn't deserve 4 stars.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mvt21
alwasil, General Manager at Al Falaj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our product did not meet your expectations. We are one of the most competitively priced Four star hotels in Muscat and we have every desire to address your needs and provide the best available option for our clients Some days due to high occupancy we may not be in a position to offer a room on our non smoking floor. Our normal procedure in this kind of a situation would be to offer a non smoking room on a different floor. You may also be interested to learn that we will be refurbishing all our bathroom in few months.

I will certainly take up your comments about the broken shower and stains with our Engineering team. In addition, we will further evaluate how we can prevent this problem from occurring again in the future.

Please accept our sincere apology for any trouble or inconvenience caused during your stay with us. Again, we highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future. We look forward to see you in the near future and take care of your stay.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I travelled to Muscat on Business on the 17-18 FEB 2013, and was booked into the Al Falaj, since they also offered a late checkout - my flight out was at 1:35 am on 18th FEB. I would say this is a good place to be in for a short visit. If the distance to the airport does not bother you, it would be a good option. It would also be a good place to stay if you have business in Ruwi, as it's location is well suited for that.

If you are some one who wishes to be in the hub of action, then you should probably choose some hotel nearer the airport.

I was happy about their airport drop in the night. Since it would have been difficult to find any taxi for cheaper !

Thanks Al Falaj folks.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
alwasil, General Manager at Al Falaj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very for the valuable feedback. Indeed it is a pleasure to hear from our clients about our services. We are very happy to know that our services and facilities met you expectations. We appreciate the time that you have the time you have taken to let us know that we are doing a great job for you.
We look forward to see you again next time you are in Muscat and to make your next business trip a memorable one.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We chose the Al Falaj Hotel, Muscat because of it's reviews from tripadvisor of being nearer to the souq and other local attractions. I am so happy that we did. it was far more than we expected, The staff was extremely helpful and did everything they could to meet our needs. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The location is a short cab ride away from many of the attractions and the cabs are reasonably priced. Breakfast buffet was wonderful. Pool was very clean and in my opinion so was the entire hotel. Very happy with our stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you so very much for the feedback and complimenting us online for the services we offer and the team efforts and recognizing the good services of the staff. Much appreciate the time that you took to let us know that we are doing a great job for you.
I will be sure to pass along your kind words as it helps us when we know we have truly made a difference to those we serve each and every day. You are the type of customer we look forward to serving every day and make my team Job more enjoyable.
Hope the rest of your stay in Muscat was memorable one. On behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for choosing Al Falaj Hotel as your preferred place in Muscat. We look forward to see you again next time your are visiting Oman and make your stay a, memorable one.

Once again we highly appreciate your valuable feed back.

Binny Ramachandra

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruwi
Tulip Inn Downtown Muscat
The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel
Crowne Plaza Muscat
Crowne Plaza Muscat
#8 of 60 in Muscat

Been to Al Falaj Hotel? Share your experiences!