“Perfect Wedding Anniversary Celebration!”

Al Nahda Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Barka
Muscat, Oman
“Perfect Wedding Anniversary Celebration!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

My Wife and myself are so grateful of the Team at Al Nahda Resort for making our 5th Wedding Anniversary so Special! We couldn't ask for more...from the minute we arrived, we were treated so well and received so many surprises with a personalised service! The entire Team there was very attentive and portrayed a fantastic Can-Do attitude! Special mention to the Chef about the exquisite Dinner we had in the Restaurant Khalab! Thanks a Lot for Everything! Mouncef Bencherif

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mouncef B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

The owner of this hotel is Indian, he don't care about hotel maintenance and mostly their air-conditioning which ice very quickly due to lack of maintenance and when you call them for maintenance, they will reply to you we will Chang your room to a more worst room. They are charging 350$ per night which is too much for this bad experience in this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hamad A

Travelers are raving about these Barka hotels

Tblisi
Reviewed October 10, 2013

About 30 miles south from Muscat airport you'll find this spacious and tranquil resort - in the Bakra area. It's situated in a very nicely maintained parkland with recreational areas like cricket grounds and pool area. Lodging are in small 2-3 storey houses with 4-6 units. The rooms are quite generous, you get ample space, nicely furnished and comfortable.
There is onsite restaurants; quality of the food is good to excellent - especially steaks are of high quality, first class meat and cooked to perfection. During my meal excellent service was provided by Ramchandra, a young man from Nepal, fluent in english and with entertaining tales from his native Nepal and the Hindukush mountains.
I visited during the Ramadan period, and some of the facilities were closed - but normally there are pool bars and several other dining facilities on the grounds.
The staff provided very good to excellent service; a special mention of the Spa/Health Club presided over by the friendly doctor Mary-Ann of Indian/British descent and her very skilled therapists from India and Kenya.
Recommended for a relaxing time in Oman - you should get a car though, since it's a bit out of the trodden path and with wheels you'll be free to explore this friendly and beautiful country at your convenience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Likmi B
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Al Nahda Resort and Spa at Barka, in Oman is a fantastic place for holidaying. I haven't seen any other place as beautiful as this. The price was very cheap, facilities were excellent.

I stayed with my family for two days and it is an unforgettable experience for even children.

Very good breakfast, rich dinner buffet

Room Tip: All Rooms are good
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank George M
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Business Traveler:

My stay at this resort was somewhat unusual. I was here in Oman for business (I'm Australian) to service a telescope for the Royal Court of Oman. As an astronomer, I had to work at night, which required sleep during the day - I also had "special medical needs" with mobility problems. Therefore, please take my comments in regard to a "non-typical" stay.

Airport Transfer:
Exceptional. Porter was at Muscat Airport with correct signage. I had to pay the airport guy for a wheel chair, which I was not happy about. I only needed to tell the hotel driver once to "slow down" (visitors to Oman will be aware they drive crazy here, as the road fatalities are one of the highest in the world) the government is now really cracking down on it and this trip (my 6th) I actually saw a lot of Police stopping drivers breaking the law. The drive is 45 mins and he even stopped so I could "buy some 'smokes"! Very kind (despite the big hints for tips at the end, despite the resort information stating that "tipping is not expected".

Reception and welcome:
Very good. The staff were wonderful, kind and helpful with my "special needs". However, they turn off the lights in the resort well before it gets light and it is somewhat scary. This needs to be fixed (I would have said "exceptional", otherwise). Also, certain staff members need to be a little more discrete about "guest gossip" that got back to me, where personal medical information was given to other staff members that should never have occurred. However, the Duty Manager was very sorry and addressed the issue with much sensitivity.

Porters and trolleys:
Exceptional! Despite some comments on Trip Adviser, they DO and WILL pick you up from your room and drive you back and forward with the electric trolleys. The comment made by a user here that they "only do it on check-in and check-out" is wrong or they have since addressed it.One porter (Said) even drove me into Barca shopping center to buy some clothes and get a phone card. I had to really insist he take the 20 RMO tip I gave him because he wouldn't accept it at first.

WARNING: *NO* Australian mobile carrier will work in Oman. If you have a locked phone, be prepared for it to become useless, when you change flights in the U.A.E!! Get a pre-paid Omantel - do NOT get Nawras (they block everything and anything and it's a real pain).

Facilities:,
Very good. The resort has spa treatments that should not be missed. Spoil yourself, it is worth it! You can get a deep massage and steam for only 18 OMR. The pool is wonderful, as is the wonderful little "touches" of Roman stadiums, statues and lovely central waterfall. The "steam tunnel" was not available as it was September and they said "they had to warm it up", so I never got to use it. What does spoil the resort is this very creepy and revolting "Laughing Park" of statues with faded paint. As many others have mentioned here, they should be removed.

I would have said "exceptional", except for one revolting incident: The pool man who handles the towels, "hacked and spat" into the pool, in front of me and other guests, which was totally unacceptable and revolting! He didn't speak English, so I used sign language and copied what he did and he definitely got the message that what he did made me very angry.

Restaurant:

EXCEPTIONAL food! However when the buffet isn't available and you have stayed here for 16 nights, like I did, the food choice starts to get very boring. Also, one staff member kept on interrupting me and my guests asking "is everything ok?" when I had my mouth full and in the end, he got me so mad, that I lost my temper and took my dinner outside to eat in peace! The other staff were very nice. Room service was fast.

Bar:

There is a bar but I only visited it once, as I do not drink and "do not do bars". There is a security guard there at night, which was a comfort. Pool table and light jazz but not live entertainment. Gets busy with local Omani's Friday and Saturday nights.

Room:

FAIR. This is where I felt a little let down, despite being given a free upgrade. The rooms are a little old and tired and need re-painting. Some of the curtains were torn. I had to ask 4 times for the plug in the bathroom sink to be fixed. It was surprising to find that the room only had a small 4 x 3 ratio old CRT TV. For a "5 star" hotel, there should at least be a 50" flat screen TV in all the executive and above rooms. The king size bed was amazing and with the spa treatments and the lovely soft bed, I felt I had a new body by the time I checked out!!! Iron and hair dryer is supplied. Considering the very late hours and that I only awake at 2pm, the housekeeping were very kind to work around my different times. Also, I recommend that the hotel provide the "standard" disposable slippers that all other Omani hotels provide. You have to ask for a bath robe. I can't comment about the mini bar because I had requested it to be removed, prior to arrival as I do want alcohol in the same room as I sleep. Prayer mat for Muslims is provided but I found it stained and used my own.

Summary:

The relaxed feel and "Omani Timing" does not really suit the business traveller. However, to be fair, it only happened once that the trolley took 30 mins to arrive to my room, while my driver was waiting outside of reception and I got into trouble for being late at work.

However, if you want to spoil yourself with great value for money and you want to bring your family with you, then this is certainly the place for you and I highly recommend it.

Would I stay here again? In the "off" months, certainly. It's only 15 kms from my work at the telescope (and will be better once these TERRIBLE road works are completed in the area) however, if it got busy with kids yelling while I am trying to sleep during the day, probably not. Would like to see the rooms improved with better TV's and some extra "touches" for guests. Doesn't really earn the "4 stars" but with the above improvements, would certainly do so.

As a very worn world traveler, where I go around installing major telescopes, I would rate this hotel as "3.5 stars" and very good - exceptional.

Room Tip: Get a room that is central to the facilities or be prepared for a long walk.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank DrHasen
Muscat
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The hotel is per se offers a refreshing break. However, it requires a lot of improvements. Firstly, given the sprawling complex, it is a tiring walk in the hot sun during the summer months to the restaurant, spa or swimming pool. Buggies are available only for check-in and check-out. Cycles though are available on hire.
Secondly, calling the maintenance man for the balcony door that does not open or the iron that does not work, or small cockroaches in the bathroom, takes away the charm of a hotel stay. You come to relax and then wonder whether it would be better to stay at home.

Also the place is scary at night, especially the Laughing Park with the statues which should be pulled down. Then it's time to check-out and you wonder; why did I ever come at all with my family?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sdcruz1
Marketing M, General Manager at Al Nahda Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear sdcruz1

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay with us. We are sorry that your experience did not match your expectations.

We have taken into consideration the issues you raise and will share with the whole team.

We hope you will consider returning to visit us in the future.

Best regards
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 13, 2013

If you live in Muscat and want to have a we of relax while your kids are fully involved in outdoors activities such as riding bicycles, playing in the pool, steam passage and many more Al Nahda is surely a place not to miss.The garden is huge, the swimming pool is big and centrally located , the spa treatments are excellent and last but not least, the restaurant has a wide range of food to choose from: the buffet is simply great! Also staff is very kind and willing to help . If you are a family, I would strongly recommend staying at Al Nahda.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Marketing M, General Manager at Al Nahda Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Guisiron

Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay with us. Thank you for giving us top ratings for location, sleep quality and cleanliness.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and found the spa treatments to be “excellent”, the buffet “simply great” and the staff “very kind”.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barka
Millennium Resort Mussanah
Oman Palm Hotel Suites
Hotel Summersands
Hotel Summersands
#4 of 5 in Seeb

Been to Al Nahda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!