“Brick Row Red is my favorite--real beer!!”
Review of Crossroads Brewing

Crossroads Brewing
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: American
Description: Brew pub has been open for a year or so. They have just today opened their kitchen. We just got back from our first meal and it has been worth the wait. They are using as much local produce and meats as is available. As newly starting the restaurant we were very impress. It is going to get better. Congratulations Crossroads !! It has been worth the wait !!
Athens, New York
“Brick Row Red is my favorite--real beer!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Locals meeting place. Great beer! Building has great history.
Owners are doing everything right to become a permanent local establishment!

• Visited December 2013

Clifton Park, NY
“Good tasting, fresh brewed beers and real comfort food.”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I've been wanting to check this place out for at least a couple of years. My understanding is that it is a former opera house built in the late 1890s. According to the Greene County Industrial Development Agency, it has also been used as a vaudeville theater, a silent movie house, a public hall, a campaign stop for Theodore Roosevelt in 1912, a site for basketball games, and most recently used by a clothing manufacturer. All that should be reason enough to visit this place.

But now you add a brewpub and you definitely have my attention and interest. Since they offer beer flights (six 5 oz glasses, $11.11), and had 10 brews on tap, we ordered two flights and requested that two of their darker beers be repeated to total twelve. While all ten were very good, our favorites were Brady's Bay Cream Ale (IBU:18; ABV 5.0), Blackrock Stout (IBU:44; ABV 6.8), Unnamed Belgian Ale (IBU:22; ABV 4.7), and IknowPA (IBU:30; ABV 4.9).

Another attraction of the brewpub is the fact that they make every effort to locally source many of the ingredients for the food they serve. For an appetizer I was excited to see a Scotch Egg ($10) - a hard boiled local egg wrapped in L'Ultimo pork sausage, breaded and fried, and served with Sriracha aioli and a savory herbed waffle. This was delicious and I was surprised at how much I even enjoyed the herbed waffle. We also ordered a half dozen Wings ($6) smoked with Black Rock Stout BBQ sauce. They were crispy on the outside, meaty, and the sauce was tasty but not with a very smokey flavor.

Our server was very friendly and helpful in recommending main courses from the menu. We asked her what was popular and she almost ended up reciting the entire entree listing. So we asked her what her favorite was and I think she only eliminated two or three dishes from what she already told us. In any event, she had included the Country Style Meatloaf ($15), one of the dishes that I had been considering, and the Pub Grilled Cheese ($12) which was one of my wife's toss-ups.

I don't know when was the last time I ordered meatloaf at a restaurant. My Mom made a great meatloaf and it just seemed like something that you should only eat at home. But Mom's (r.i.p.) meatloaf never had a mixture of free range beef and beer braised pork served with herb smashed potatoes, let alone a Black Rock stout gravy with a warm brussel sprout salad. This was truly, real comfort food. It was the best meatloaf I've ever had (sorry, Mom) with a nice crusty surface and wonderful flavors.

One of our server's selling points for the pub Grilled Cheese was that while the bread was thick sliced, it was light enough that it didn't seem like a lot of bread. She said it came from a bakery in Woodstock. She was so right about her description. I had a taste of the sandwich and with the hopped tilsit and cheddar cheese, the grilled brioche bread was perfect with a balsamic tomato jam, sweet apple slaw, optional mushrooms ($1) and fries. Another delicious comfort food.

The drive from Albany was just under an hour. Our arrival was at dusk, so we could not appreciate the full effect of the three-story building with its bell tower. A Summer trip is definitely in our future... and more beer and comfort food!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Roger K
“Out of the Way Gem”
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

A few unusual menu items are worth a try. Try the Scotch Egg. Pub grilled cheese is excellent as well. Nothing you would expect in the line of a grilled cheese sandwich. The Highland Farm Game Plate is excellent for the non vegans. Loved the rabbit. The brew at this brewery is very good, having won some awards and trophies in 2012. IPA lovers will not want to pass on the Outrage IPA - it is excellent. A well rounded brewery beer menu board is front and center at the bar. Nice atmosphere as well with lots of wood.

ny
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Went there for late lunch on a Sunday and got their half price mussels, which was barely edible because it was overcooked, too peppery and smelled bad. Brewed beer wasn`t too good either, when i looked in actual brewery it wasn't clean as it had a lot of flies.
I do not recommend.

• Visited September 2013
Albany, New York
“Hidden Gem Pub in Upstate”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went there for lunch after a morning of antiquing in Coxsackie. The building was renovated beautifully and seating was ample. We sat ourselves in a corner in front of a window, and it took staff a while to come ask us for drinks. Not sure if it was because we were kind of hidden or not. The beer flights were 5oz which was good, however it's $12 for six samples which is on the high end from our experience for flights. The menu was small as their entrees are not served until after 4pm. However, we knew that and had looked at their menu before heading down. They had a great mussel deal on Sundays..30 for only $6. Their chicken sandwich was very good. I especially enjoyed the mozzarella slices with the pesto. The wait staff could be better as it wasn't busy at all but it seemed to take them forever to stop over and check on us. The food also took a while to come out. Thankfully it was a nice day and we were not in a rush. Overall it's a good place to go to sample some great tasty beer and some lunch. Again, staff could be better but the food and beer made up for it. Favorite beer in the flight was the Outrage IPA. If you have time walk down the street to the water, there are benches and it's quite nice. There was no parking lot that we saw, but ample street and municipal parking lots near by.

Visited September 2013