“What a gem...”

Dining options: Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
New York City, New York
“What a gem...”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Maybe I'm a stuck-up New Yorker, but I would never have expected a restaurant this good in Athens, NY. Top-notch cooking and great service in a spacious and comfy restaurant. It's neither ultra-traditional (they serve "cajun pasta") nor haute cuisine (no fennel pollen here), but every dish on offer is excellent. Bruschetta chicken and the aforementioned cajun pasta are both good bets.

• Visited August 2011

Hudson, NY
“Average food, service could have been better”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Went to Cameo's tonight on the recommendation of friends. Arrived a little earlier than our reservation time, had a short wait and were promptly shown to our table. Cameo's only serves wine and beer, and the wine selection is limited and fairly mediocre, but for the price was fine. Ordered and was served some decent bread, a little doughy and not crispy like good Italian bread, with a very good whipped garlic butter.

Tossed salad came next. Very good and fresh already dressed with a raspberry (?) vinaigrette. Plenty for all. Next came the appetizers. I ordered the calamari, which came pre-sauced with two or three sauces. I like my calamari crunchy and to be able to dip it in as much/little of the sauce to my taste. There was too much sauce that overpowered the flavor of the calamari and made most of it soggy. My partner had the fried mozzarella which was very large but also looked a little too commercial.

We waited a rather long time for the entrees to come out. I had ordered the Chicken Scarpiella (sp?), which was very good and hot. My partner had the linguine with the meat sauce and additional meatballs, which was "just okay". We all had food leftover and, instead of taking our plates to the back to prepare the requested "to-go's", were handed aluminum take out containers with corresponding lids. Our server offered to help with moving the food from the plate to the container, but - really - should the diner have to do this at the table?

Asked if we wanted dessert we said "No. Just coffee thanks." Paid our bill and left. While Cameo's might be great for locals, with all the great Italian restaurants in the area we won't be returning.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Russell G
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great local joint”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Cameo's consistently delivers a quality meal. We eat here several times a month. The new dining room is spacious and warm. The service is always solid. It is a great bang for your buck. Highly recommend it!!!!!

Catskill, New York
“Yum-o-licious!!!!”
Reviewed March 11, 2011

This place is awesome! Everything is delectable starting with the homemade garlic butter with warm bread and the family style salad with a uniquely delicious balsamic vinegrette. The appetizers are scrumptious -- the calamari is my favorite, as well as the mozzerella fritta's. I've tried almost every main course and they are all equally excellent -- my personal favorites are the piled high seafood, linguini with white clam sauce, stuffed salmon with garlic mashed potatoes or one of their many nightly specials -- fettuccini alfredo with grilled steak and balsamic dressing is out of this world! I'm usually too full for dessert, but when I manage to fit it in -- the teramisu is great or the brownie sundae. Even the coffee is delicious! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone -- the prices are very reasonable, and the portions are huge. They offer pizza for take out only, but it really is the best in the whole region! It's a small little place and the service is excellent -- they always make you feel like you're having dinner at your Italian grandmother's house! Good food, good drink, good people.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank ParkersMema
Cairo, New York
“The Absolute Best”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

This is the best place in Greene County !!! I recommend the Calamari app, never had it better than anywhere, and I have lived all over the U.S. Like the previous review the house salad with the balsamic dressing is devine. The portions are hearty, there is a nice ambiance, and everything is delicious !!! We even love the take out pizza and of couse a side of the calamari to go on occasion. Been to a few family parties there as well, You can book the whole place for a great occasion too.