“Great for outdoor eating along the river”
Review of Hagar's Harbor

Hagar's Harbor
Ranked #4 of 6 Restaurants in Athens
Reviewed February 11, 2020 via mobile

Nice outdoor seating area and bar right along the river. Prices are very reasonable and food is pretty good for drinks and a bite to eat with a view.

Date of visit: November 2019
Write a reviewReviews (30)

Reviewed August 10, 2019

Went out to dinner for Friday steak special. My chair seat was torn and sagging and couldn't be replaced.Potatoes and corn on the cob were stone cold and no butter. Half the ribeye was fat and the only dessert was coconut cream pie. The service was ridiculously slow

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 15, 2019

I used to like going to Hagar's Harbor when the original owner's and chef were there.
I like to sit outside and watch the river while I eat. The food and service were great.

The other day I ordered A chicken sandwich which was supposed to consist of caramelized onions, cheese, a garlic sauce served on the side and parsnip fries.

The caramelized onions were wet mush at the top of the sandwich followed by what appeared to be and tasted like a slice of semi-melted Kraft American cheese. There was no accompanying sauce on the side and the parsnip fries looked as if they were at the end of the last cook run and they couldn't be bothered to make more.

I have had multiple meals there. It's hit or miss with more misses than hits. It is hard to believe any chef would allow a meal to be presented this way. I cannot get over their use of some manufactured slice cheese. Some will say I should have complained to the waitress. Well. the waitress (who was attentive) was busy with multiple tables. Also, this wasn't a matter of over or undercooked food, this was a lack of pride in the product they were presenting.

When I go out for a meal I would appreciate one that tastes better than I can make

I will miss the river view.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed May 27, 2019 via mobile

My wife and I went to Hager’s Harbor. Nice view. That’s the good part. We both ordered burgers at the bar. 30 minutes later, after 10 minutes of trying to get someone’s attention, I asked about our order. She went right into the kitchen and returned with the order. She plopped it in front of us and left without a word. The burger was good but I can get that almost anywhere and in much less time than 30 minutes, and still hot.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed September 24, 2018

Haters is a great place to eat. Outside dining on a nice day is the place to be. The food is very good and the service is wonderful. The only drawback is that you have to wait a long time for the food to come out. I don’t know for sure but my Gus’s is that the kitchen is tiny and has room for one person doing all the cooking. It’s either that of they hope that the longer the wait the more people will drink. Good food, good service, good atmosphere but plan on being there longer than you expect.

Date of visit: August 2018