“Amazing Place! Worth the Ride from Manhattan!”
Review of Ovelia

Ovelia
Reserve with OpenTable
Ovelia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 572 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 30th Ave. and 34th Street
Zwolle, The Netherlands
“Amazing Place! Worth the Ride from Manhattan!”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Ovelia is one of those gems that you don't expect to find in Astoria. I know, Astoria is becoming the trendy place to live in Queens these days, but Ovelia exceeds trendy and goes on to legendary. I have eaten in Ovelia several times and every time I go back, I feel like I am family. The owners, Peter (who is also the head chef) and Chris Giannakas are always on hand to chat a little and recommend some new dishes.

This leads me to the food. Imagine your old Greek Yaya meets haute cuisine. The food is an awesome fare of Greek fusion dishes. The salads are amazing, the Greek burgers are succulent and juicy, and you can't leave without tasting the pumpkin galaktoboureko. They even have a Rockin' Ribs night with perfectly smoked ribs and DJ music into the wee hours.

If you're staying in Manhattan, it's worth the subway ride into Queens! It's THAT good!! Enjoy!

• Visited January 2012

• Korean first
plainview
“greek star in astoria”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Went to Ovelia with friends. Really pretty, new, and modern restaurant. Our waitress was delightful. She was really helpful with suggestions from the menu. We had large dip platter and fried eggplant and zucchini for appetizers. We had greek coffee steak, two shrimp dishes and lamb kebabs. All the entrees were delicious and large enough to take some home. The desserts were all homemade and decadent. We will definitely come back again.

• Visited March 2012
New York City, New York
“Totally vexed!”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

This place is always at least 2/3 packed and it is by far one of the poorest restaurants in the area. The kitchen serves food that is amateur at best. Maybe their cocktails are the draw but I would skip this place.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nice But Nothing Special”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I wish I could rate this 3.5 stars. I've been here multiple times, and while I've really enjoyed some things, I tend to be disappointed in the Greek food. I always seem to end up with the same friendly waitress, but the rest of the employees seem to provide great service as well. I think it is a bit over-priced, but you'll have to decide for yourself. Off the top of my head, here are some things I've tried:

APPETIZERS: The Kolokithokeftedes, zucchini croquettes, ($9) are fabulous, and the Tzatziki ($7) with pita is also great!
DINNER: The Village Salad ($9.50) was good and massive but nothing special. The Pasticio ($13) is not one of my favorite dishes, and I can eat only about 1/4 of it before I am sick of it. The Garides Gemistes [Jumbo stuffed shrimp w/ crab] ($24) was good but standard.
DESSERT: The Banana Nutella Crepe ($8) dessert comes with 3 massive stuffed crepes, and I now recreate this dessert at home. They also have a peanut butter banana devil's food cake ($9) that is good, but ask for it to be warmed.

• Visited January 2012
New York City, New York
“Excellent Food - Service Needs Improvement”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

The food is excellent. Unfortunately, the service is in need of improvement. Our server was less then attentive. Having to constantly ask her for a refill on alcoholic beverages and explain what was missing from entrees was very frustrating. To add to the disappointment entrees came out separately. Overall a frustrating service experience. I will still strongly recommend Ovelia based on the quality of food.

• Visited November 2011