“Yes it is true. Best Paninis in Astoria, Queens, NYC and 31st Avenue.”
Review of Il Bambino

Il Bambino
Ranked #25 of 567 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Astoria, New York
“Yes it is true. Best Paninis in Astoria, Queens, NYC and 31st Avenue.”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Perhaps the best know restaurant on 31st Avenue, Astoria and top rated restaurant in Astoria Queens, this gem of a restaurant attracts the young, hip and local food connoisseurs of Queens.

Off the beaten paths of Broadway Long Island City or 30th (Grand) Avenue, Astoria, Il Bambino is one of a growing number of trendy restaurants sprouting up on 31st Avenue in Astoria. I have been coming here since 2008, and have lived on 31st Avenue nearly half my life, so I have seen many restaurants come and go. Il Bambino has survived the ups and down of our great recession and bucked the average closure rate for most eateries in NYC.

Over the years, the co-owner, Darren Lawless, has worked tirelessly to maintain and run this restaurant at very high level, and this is also reflected in the fact that there has not been much staff turnover recently. You can usually find the same crew ready to serve food or coffee to those who come and go on a regular basis.

My favorite is the Prosciutto panini, on the menu.

Oh, and did I forget -most items on the menu go for the less than $15 and in many cases less than $10/item.

Il Bambino provides outdoor seating, but no scenic view I am afraid, just a view of other apartment blocks and buildings facing 31st Avenue. However, in the summer it is nice to have a beer here with a sandwich.

Restaurant is Rated A, but I will give them an A+ for excellence. They are also Zagat rated.

Kudos Il Bambino -. KEEP ON COOKIN'

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank neil102

• Korean first
Portland, Maine
“A Never Fail with our Astoria Guests”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I know the Il Bambino staff on a first-name basis which speaks to how regularly I frequent the restaurant. Paninis and crostinis are the staples of the menu with never-fail favorites such as the truffle egg salad and shaved speck crostini. Be forewarned that most of the dishes are quite hearty. As I am now on a diet, I sampled some of the less carb-rich dishes. The roasted carrot salad, marinated sardines, and baby string beans are some of my favorites - even with the excellent selection of cold meats offered. This restaurant has NEVER disappointed a single out-of-town guest and many ask to return to Il Bambino when visiting despite the vast array of excellent Astoria restaurants available to them. Sitting on the back patio on a warm summer evening sharing crostinis, wine, and conversation with friends while watching the fireflies hover nearby makes you feel like you are far away from NYC. Note that there is a Monday half-priced wine special and an excellent selection of wines available. This restaurant is a MUST for those visiting Astoria.

5 Thank Michael D
Richmond, Virginia
“Extraordinary and hearty!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My son and daughter-in-law love this place and shared it with me. Great big hearty breakfast paninis that can easily be shared with accompanying salad. Interesting meats and cheeses make delicious paninis. Specials were available but we ordered from the menu. Coffee smelled heavenly but I didn't have any as it was a warm day. Busy place but worth the wait if you have to. Outdoor seating was pleasant, shaded and had good service. Can't go wrong with this place.

4 Thank wgs
florence
“One of the best in Astoria!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've been here a few times now and have gotten something different each time. Everything has been delicious, and the panini are huge. The brunch sandwiches are really good as well. I lived in Italy for 2 years and often am unimpressed by Italian food I've had elsewhere, but I have to say Il Bambino makes me feel a little bit like I'm back in Florence!

5 Thank mhoulm
Hong Kong
“Good Paninis”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

A nice place with good Paninis and reasonable wine. Try it.
Remember that they serve American sizes and you can easily share one.

• Visited June 2012