“I love this place”

Mundo
Ranked #10 of 594 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Turkish, Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mysterious, adventurous, and decadent, savor our signature eclectic cuisine.
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My husband, daughter and I ate dinner tonight at Mundo. We are long-time fans of this place, but every time we go back there we are reminded of how wonderful it is. We live on Long Island,so it is not exactly around the corner for us but the drive is well worth the food.
Willie, the owner it such an incredible host- he makes you feel so welcome. Lena, a waitress, is such a sweetheart! The food speaks for itself. The Red Sonja, their signature dish, is worth the price of admission. Their menu is ecclectic and can satisfy any palate.
We had tonight veggie empanandas, split pea soup, an amazing vegetarian dish called peruvian causa, etc. I could go on and on. This place is amazing! Treat yourself- and the prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

One of my vegetarian friends took a group of all-meat eaters to this cozy restaurant, back in the holiday season. It's small, but cozy, great music, and the food was great! We were all pleasantly surprised, for she has chosen other places before where the food wasn't very good. I'm not a vegetarian, but I enjoy any food, as long as is well prepared, and tasty. When we arrived, the waitress wasn't very friendly, but she made some room for us since "we didn't have a reservation". The rest of the evening our group was taken care of by the owner, who is an amazing host! by the end of the meal, we have forgotten about the "friendly reception" and enjoyed the food and the music to the fullest. We chose different plates to share, and got some of his recommendations, he took the time to explain about the food, how they make it, overall excellent. The presentation of the plates, the flavors, were incredible. I can honestly say they cook with "love". I will come back soon.

1  Thank dipasaco
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Very small place, cozy, with friendly service. Very good beer and wine selections. Loved the red lentil dish! My husband is not as crazy about this place as I am.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

While it has a Broadway address the Mundo Cafe is actually on 32 St just a few steps south of Broadway, in Astoria, Queens, one block from the "N" & "Q" lines Broadway station (10-15 minutes from midtown Manhattan on the train), Mundo, a small, family run, friendly and unpretentious cafe, is a wildly eclectic dining place, offering original spins on traditional fare from Turkey, Argentina, Peru, Eastern Europe, the Near East and beyond. We've eaten here many times. What we like most? For starters, the Red Sonja, a red lentil patty, is a must; also the Peruvian Causa, a layered cake like concoction of yellow potatoes, mushrooms, beets, avocado & red onions. For mains: the Ottoman dumplings (ground beef or spinach), lobster ravioli, the veggie wrap al pesto or the mundo burger with frites (great frites - by all means get a side of the frites!). And the desserts are sinfully scrumptious - save room for at least one! Many veggie dishes are on offer and one can do tapas too. There are specials that change daily or by season. There is a good selection of reasonably priced wine and beer, but no hard liquor. A complete meal for two, including two starters, two mains, two desserts and a bottle of house wine will run around $100, minus the tip.
We're life long New Yorkers and Mundo is further proof of what we've said here before: in NYC the borough of Queens has the best food! Even if you're staying, or living in Manhattan, Mundo Cafe is very much worth the short subway ride out to Queens.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've eaten here several times, most recently with two friends visiting from out of town. This is the kind of place you will want to bring people to, to impress them with the atmosphere, food, amazing staff who make you feel at home, and with the fact that you know about it! It is small but comfortable, and beautifully decorated as if to make you feel you were perhaps in a sophisticated cafe on a narrow lane in Istanbul, even though you're on a quiet Astoria sidestreet just off of the N train. The owners are from Turkey and Argentina, and the food reflects on these cuisines but also, as the name of the restaurant suggests, takes elements from all over the world. The lentil ball appetizer is absolutely worth all the hype, and their house wine is a great Argentinian blend, especially good after breathing a few minutes. The food is fresh, fresh, fresh, and they take extra steps to make sure to cater to vegetarians and vegans, and that all their ingredients are top quality and natural. The Turkish manti are the best and most authentic I've had anywhere outside of Turkey. Everything else has been fantastic too. Go, and you will be happy that you did!