“Good stay near LaGuardia airport”

Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport/Astoria
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed here for my first night in NYC before the weekend of the NYC Marathon. I was pleased with the stay. The hotel room was small and the bedding was good. However, it is not a pillow top mattress which is my preference. The staff was very pleasant and the shuttle drivers from the airport and subway were outstanding. They will not only take you to the subway station they will come pick you up. This was perfect for me to get to Manhattan to pick up my race packet. The staff also recommended a great little pizza place two blocks away that was excellent. Breakfast was good typical Marriott but the staff person for the kitchen was not very friendly - she was the one the only unpleasant staff person but maybe it was just a bad day for her.

Room Tip: There was so hall noise so I would recommend staying away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank David B

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I'm so glad we stayed here. We didn't bother calling for a shuttle because it was an easy walk from the Astoria subway station. The walk isn't the prettiest, but I was glad to see a police station and fire station between the hotel and the train station because I couldn't have felt any safer.
I sense that many of the people who posted complaints are high-maintenance chronic complainers and not savvy travellers. Some of the complaints are clearly unjustified, such as a complaint about the size of the breakfast room. You know that the room is small, so you get there at 7 am. Problem solved. They can only work with the space they have. Complaints about it not being like other Marriott hotels are ridiculous too. The place doesn't hold itself out to be a JW Marriott (we like the JW Marriotts...we just don't need to be at one in NYC when we're like most people out there sampling what the city has to offer). To resolve some of the ridiculous complaints they'd have to rebuild and then hike the rates.
The front desk staff was pleasant. Everything worked correctly in the room. It was clean. We got a good, FREE breakfast. The location is close to the subway with lines that took us right into Manhattan (for us right to the Bloomingdale's subway stop). We couldn't have asked for more.
Next time we stay at Fairfield Inn Astoria we want to dine out at a few of the many nearby Middle Eastern restaurants. The pastries we could see from one of the windows really caught our eyes.

Room Tip: Who needs a choose a room? Have so much fun in the city that you're so tired at the end of the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GuyInCLE
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This certainly was not up to the normal Marriott standard. One single elevator which was OK for us since we did not mind taking the stairs occcasionaly but could be a problem for some. Breakfast was crowded without not enough seats for the guests. The rooms have a microwave and smaller than most Marriotts I have stayed in. On the upside it is on the the second to last stop on the Q subway line which goes directly to Times Square (About 20 minutes subway trip).The hotel is a 20 minute walk from the subway and the subway is on the same road so it is easy to find the hotel. They will send a shuttle if you prefer not to walk but we did not bother with that. We checked out the museum of moving images which is about a 25 minute walk away, great museum if you are a big movie fan. About 10 minutes away are some middle eastern hookah bars and some interesting restaurants. The hotel is really pretty expensive for what you get but what do you expect for a hotel in NYC on the subway line. The wireless was free and the breakfast was slightly better tha ordinary, cherios, waffles, boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit etc.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked this hotel as a last resort since there wasn't any other hotels available since I did not book weeks in advance. Although this is a Marriott hotel, it didn't feel like it. The room was extremely small with the bed taking up most of the space. It was not easy moving around the room. The AC/Heater unit was extremely loud when it came on. I suspect this is due to the aging building or lack of upkeep. Although we were on the 3rd floor of a 4 story building, we could hear all the traffic coming directly from the highway across the street and the walls were so thin we could hear the people staying in the surrounding room. This would not have been so bad if there wasn't a baby crying all night. The lack of soundproofing makes this one of the worst hotels I've stayed in the boroughs on New York.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for high rooms and rear facing. On site parking is extremely limited and...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jerseyxguy
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel definitely does not represent the Marriott brand name. Room with sliding wood closet doors from the 80's. Not worth the money! Shuttle to airport a benefit. Coffee was cold, seemed had been sitting there all night, yuk!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My GF and I had a great experience here for New Years last year. The one feature that sold us on this hotel was the subway pick up/ drop off that the hotel provides. The subway is in walking distance but the convenience of the hotel shuttle is something that should not be over looked. I will be staying here again, probably just because of the shuttle lol.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I did one night stay there. It's a low rise hotel near LGA.
It has shuttle to LGA and to subway station Astoria Blvd on N, Q lines. You have to call front desk to pick you up. A lot of trafic around this area.
Room was clean with small refrigerator, microwave.
Internet is free. It has two PC with Internet and printer in the lobby and Wi-Fi in the room
No self service laundry, but there is a pay for service laundry.
Breakfast was quite remarkable: a lot of choices, food were fresh, dining area was clean.
Might be a bit pricey, otherwise I would return and recommend.

Room Tip: Third floor was OK for me.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Astoria
The Paper Factory Hotel
The Paper Factory Hotel
#7 of 34 in Long Island City
Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport/Flushing
2 mi away
Hampton Inn New York - LaGuardia Airport
Home2 Suites by Hilton New York Long Island City/ Manhattan View
Home2 Suites by Hilton New York ...
#1 of 34 in Long Island City
Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport
SpringHill Suites by Marriott New York LaGuardia Airport

Been to Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport/Astoria? Share your experiences!