“Passable food, subpar service”
Review of Bahari Estiatorio

Bahari Estiatorio
Ranked #7 of 572 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Columbia Heights, Minnesota
“Passable food, subpar service”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was seated immediately...And the food (baby lamb shank stewed in a mild tomato sauce, plus a side of veggies sautéed in olive oil and garlic) was tasty but, well, meh. What detracted from the meal was the impatient service by the waitress, who served a glass of wine and then expected a quick decision on my menu choice. I don't need much but five minutes usually, but I did want to peruse the menu of what is for me an unfamiliar restaurant in an unfamiliar city. Once I'd decided, the food arrived in seconds (the place wasn't crowded, so there weren't people waiting for a table). The two bussers then stood there next to me with nothing to do, apparently waiting for me to do anything to give them a used plate to remove. It was as if they couldn't wait for me to leave. The whole evening lasted no more than 30 minutes from the time I arrived until I left. Never again.

• Visited July 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great Birthday Celebration”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My daughter planned my birthday dinner for 15 people at Bahari Estiatorio and they did a fabulous job. We had a little of everything so everyone could try a variety of menu items. The eggplant dip and potato garlic dip were wonderful. Also the grilled calamari and grilled shrimp. They had the best spinach pie I have ever had and the service was excellent. They could not have been nicer. The restaurant has been redone and the ambience is very nice. All in all, a great dinner on a special day.

• Visited June 2012
New York City, New York
“If you eat here once, you'll get hooked.”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I was talking to a friend at work at how I miss eating some good dorado, a fish that is very popular in the Mediterranean. He told me to go to Bahari. I walked past the restaurant and wasn't impressed. Finally I went there with may wife, and was blown away. The food is very fresh, expertly cooked and the service is friendly, efficient and not overbearing. Since that first visit, we have been back a few times, with friends and family. I recommended this restaurant and all my friends that went there had nothing but praise. The dorado and branzini are some of the best I've eaten, and I even tried the calf liver, which surprised me with its tenderness and how expertly it was cooked. We highly recommend Bahari.

• Visited March 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A good Greek restaurant”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

A good Greek family restaurant. Busy, efficient with good food. Nothing too flashy, a solid night out with friends, food and wine. Recommended.

• Visited February 2012
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I stopped in when I was in the neighborhood with my father. Had the grilled octopus and grilled sausage to start, and both were fantastic. Then we had the whole grilled branzino, which was also very good. I would defintiely return when I am next in Astoria.

• Visited December 2011