“Seafood in Astoria”

Elias Corner
Ranked #106 of 572 Restaurants in Astoria
“Seafood in Astoria”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This past weekend a friend and i ended up at Elias after failed attempts to secure reservations at other more hip places in Astoria. Good thing. I have not been here in four years but they have not missed a beat. This place with large windows lets the light in. It has a strong neighborhood feel and is especially perfect if you are a group of 6 (six)or more. You will feel right at home. We started with the Octopus And Calamari. The octopus was very good and the calamari was okay. Here it is the whole fish that is the story. Served simply, the fish is the star not some fancy sauce. My Black Sea Bass was succulent. My amigo had the Monk fish and it was excellent. The story here is excellent seafood in a warm family ambience. It is not an out of the way place. Just a few blocks from the foot of the Robert F. Kennedy(Triborough) bridge and they have room for several cars in their own lot. Remember, you are just a short walk from A NYC Park that has an excellent example of an art deco pool that is open to the public. This is a beautiful area to walk around especially after a meal at Elias'. Check them out.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank nelson c

“Simply Amazing”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Wow, is the correct word to kick off this review. I have been to Elias Corner twice, one a few years back when I lived in Astoria, Queens and recently March 2013 when I was craving fresh seafood. Is "Simply Amazing", because literally their simplicity is what makes them Amazing. One word that pretty much sums up my experience is FRESH, the fish are fresh and all the ingredients are phenomenal. My husband and I ordered the grilled octopus, which is the best I've had by far and then we each ordered the fresh fish, whole fried which was amazing. My husband had a branzino and the Greek salad was delicious. They have no menus, which I loved. The service is very casual but great and the decor very simple. I really love is restaurant, if you want good and fresh seafood look no further this is your place.

• Visited March 2013
Nyc
“No Frills Freshest Fish”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A visit to Elias Corner is for a group of friends 4 or more diners who love fresh fish is the only reason to go there to eat dinner. Ultra casual, no menu, no frills dining offers delicious greens salad, calamari, grilled shrimp, and many types of unusual fish only served in fine restaurants in NYC . Focus on sharing fresh grilled seafood with home grown grilled veggies, etc. with friends who also care about food , and there will be no disappointment. No need for atmosphere, the freshest quality fish around with very reasonable prices.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank K E
New York City, New York
“Poor choice in Astoria. Go elsewhere.....”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

With a couple of old ex-New Yorkers, we went to have dinner at Elias Corner two days ago, for the sake of their nostalgia. And the experience was indeed nostalgic, but for the wrong reasons!

I had gone to Elias a couple of times years ago. It was then a fish restaurant, with a basic menu, generous portions of fish, some desserts, and overall nothing to write home about. Clearly something must have happened, since I could now only describe it as an "eatery".

It was a Tuesday night, at about 9 PM. There were only two large tables occupied by a birthday party, and then our table. We were not presented with a menu. We were told that we could select an appetizer, a fish, and the dinner came with dessert. We ordered a Greek salad for three, under the explanation that it was very large. It was large, but only for one person. The fish entrees were ok, fresh, no frills. They only had one dessert available. All that amounted to $40 per person, which was a ripoff when considering that there was nothing to it.

The service was pretty bad and it deserves a special mention. While our waitress was correct, at one point she disappeared and was being covered by another waiter. We requested more bread (standard bread) and, incredibly, he came back saying that they had run out of bread, only to be seen, shamelessly less than 10 minutes later, bringing abundant bread baskets to the other tables. He deliberately ignored my calls for attention, clearly knowing what I was going to say, and deciding to just ignore us completely.

As to decor and cash-only policy, I can only echo other posts here. Cheap stuff.

There are plenty of nice restaurants a few blocks away in Astoria. Try Broadway, or 30th Avenue, or Steinway. Take your business there.

• Visited January 2013
“Cheesy cheap with total lack of decor and how dare they don't accept credit. With all the money get. get some class all aroun”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Plastic tables chairs and fish on the walls. The owner is do rude he does absolutely nothing to correct any problem or complaint. That might be why the servers are so nasty. They seat you like caged rats even when there are plenty seats available. I Wii give you that I love the food but.....no credit cards for a $100. Meal. How cheap can you get
I have seen people running around looking for a atm on the cold. Overall they should be knocked off their high horses and ho back to Greece