“True Nightmare!”

Cuisines: Czech
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed May 21, 2009

All I can say is "Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares." Let me start by saying I can not understand for the life of me how anyone can give this restaurant positive reviews and stars. Zlata Praha was beyond horrible.

My husband and I took our 2 daughters and their boyfriends out to dinner this past Saturday night. We should have known we were in trouble when there was only one other table with customers at it.

After being seated, we were given room temperature, stale tasting water and our menus. The menu was full of delicious sounding specialties...we were VERY excited! We ordered 2 orders of pierogis, potato pancakes, stuffed cabbage, chicken paprikash, and pork goulash.

We were given "homemade" Mrs. T's frozen pierogis!! Honestly. There was no denying that they were Mrs. T's. The potato pancakes were nothing to write home about, but at least edible. The stuff cabbage tasted as if was made with old meat, tasting very much like some strange animal rather than beef and pork, swimming on a plate covered with an overly cinnamon-like red sauce. It was so bad, we could not swallow it. The chicken paprikash consisted of 3 small chicken 'parts' covered in an orange sour cream type sauce tasting nothing of paprika. I say parts, because you really couldn't tell which pieces they were. The pork goulash contained 5 small pieces of pork that looked as if they had seen better days, and more sauerkraut type soup/sauce than a person could safely consume. And lastly the 2 plates of dumplings were heavy, cold and sponge like.

My husband and I grew up on Russian, Czech and Slovak food. Our grandma's came from the Old Country. The food we were given would make anyone cry. When our waiter checked on us, he noticed our untouched food and asked if we wanted more dumplings. He gave us our bill totaling over $100 with gratuity added.

On the up side, my husband did say the Czech beer was good. The 1 star is for the beer. Sigh.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Pretty decent Czech food, although it's definitely not as good as Koliba, just a few stops away

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook