“Used to be great, surprised at my last experience”
Review of Telly's Taverna

Telly's Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Telly's Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 584 Restaurants in Astoria
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 28th and 29th St.
Transit: Astoria - Ditmars Blvd (N, Q) Astoria Blvd (N, Q)
Description: We serve delicious Authentic Greek food and are known for our grilled meats and whole fresh fish along with other fresh seafood. Our authentic Greek cuisine is prepared using recipes directly from our family cookbooks. We make everything to order and use the freshest produce, fish, and meats available. In fact, you can even see how fresh our seafood is as we have it on display.We serve favorites such as saganaki, taramosalta, skordalia, and whole fish including snapper, sea bass, and spearings. We also grill lamb chops, rib-eye steaks, chicken souvlaki, spiced burgers, octopus, salmon, and swordfish. Enjoy our full bar, stocked with wine, beer, and premium liquors. Telly's Taverna is devoted to make your experience exceptional!
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This place really used to be good (as was Stamatis just up the street), but lately the quality of the food has really been lacking. And they're kind of expensive considering how the quality has declined. Servers are OK, knowledgable, friendly, but hit or miss on whether you get your food fast or not (depends on the night). Wouldn't seek this place out to go back, but wouldn't protest too much if a friend wanted to meet me here.

Dianna L, Owner at Telly's Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

I'm sorry to hear that you think the quality of our food has been "lacking" recently. Providing consistent quality is our primary concern, so your review is troubling to me. Is there any further feedback you could offer? We aim to impress all of our customers, so we'd love to know how we could improve!

That said, we would be honored if you would allow us another opportunity to wow you. Most of our customers are overwhelmingly satisfied with all we have to offer--I know we have what it takes to impress you!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I went with a friend and her two kids. We called before coming and were told there were tables outside, but when we arrived, it was a 20 minute wait, followed by service that was initially good, then less so when the inside filled up. But the food was worth it! Tasty and generously proportioned salads, a nice mix of dips, consistently good main courses, especially the fish including outstanding fried octopus, all very reasonably priced. It did take excessively long to get the bill.

2  Thank wilson17

Thanks for taking the time to leave us with some important feedback. I'm very pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our food. We work hard to maintain a consistent quality, so I appreciate what you have to say. The kitchen will be thrilled to hear that they've been successful in consistently providing tasty food!

As for our service, I'm sorry to hear that we were unable to maintain a high level of service. Though we rarely receive this type of feedback, I plan on readdressing the team about the importance of customer service. Everyone deserves the best we have to offer.

I hope all is currently well. We'd love to welcome you back soon--I know we have what it takes to earn a perfect rating from you!

Reviewed January 26, 2012

We had fantastic fish- hard to find these days- the staff were friendly and attentive. It was a really fun evening!

2  Thank haldane42

Thanks for your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed our "fantastic" fish and had a fun evening with us--showing customers a great time is very important to us. I hope you've continued to dine here over the past months. Your fish is waiting for you!

Reviewed December 12, 2011

You have to like fish to like TT. They do have some chops and steaks on the menu, but if you are a carnivore you will be let down. BUT, if you like fish then this place is awesome. Make sure to ask for what’s fresh and don’t worry about preparation. Just my family (14 of us) had the flounder last night and it was great. You don’t think of flounder being able to serve so many, but this fish was enormous- borderline small halibut. The bronzino was very decent and the sand shark was as good as you’ll have. Sides are pretty standard Greek fare and I don’t know what the big deal is about the spicy feta, it is neither spicy or much to write home about. The fried dough they bring you is a nice touch, but again nothing you can’t get at a street fair. Ambiance is ok; service is glacial so if you are not ready for a 3 hour dinner, make sure you go somewhere else. SO, the point here is that if your expectation level is realistic in terms of service and selection, and you want good/fresh fish, then TT’s is still a place to go. Valet parking is a helpful option in this parking poor neighborhood. Beer/Wine selection is limited, but again you are coming for the fish.

1  Thank godzuki24

Thanks for reviewing us last year--I'm sorry for the belated response. I couldn't be happier to hear how much you and your family enjoyed our seafood. We're very proud of the quality of our food, so it's nice when customers acknowledge that we are doing things right! The team will be excited to see this.

I hope you'll be back to see us sometime soon. We'd love the opportunity to prove why we are great, not just good! Take care.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

Telly's has a deservedly good reputation for quality Greek grilled fish. We always ask and get the latest catch. Very fair pricing, large "small" salad, wonderful grilled octopus.
Service can get a bit sketchy if crowded but overall it's "VLV" - worth a trip to Astoria from other city locales, and/or on your way back from LGA into Manhattan.

1  Thank Getitright212