“mp taverna astoria” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of MP Taverna

MP Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
MP Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 560 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Old Bethpage, New York
“mp taverna astoria”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Really good food and service at a very reasonable price.Many choices for all diners. Server was spot on with recommendations. Excellent choice for house red wine by the glass. Will definitely be back.BTW, we were nine people.

Visited March 2014

Woodmere, New York
“No Wonder They Had to Add a Seocnd Floor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Rather than go into Manhattan, our friends chose this Greek restaurant for a Saturday evening get together. We found street parking 2 blocks away after a 5 minute search. Although quite busy, they honored our 7:30 P.M. reservations promptly and escorted us upstairs. Rest rooms are only on the lower level, but this was not an issue for us. This restaurant seemed well managed. The waiters were helpful and efficient and answered all of our menu-related questions.The bottle of Pinot Noir was a better value than 4 glasses of wine, was quite good, and fairly priced. My salmon included a side-salad and vegetable and was quite good. Our friends enjoyed the swordfish and Greek paella. The food was presented nicely, and more important, was very good. Dinner for four including coffee, wine, and one dessert (with 4 spoons) came to $170 including tax, per couple, plus the tip. Although quite busy, the noise level didn't disturb our table conversation. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to add a third floor.

• Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
“Beautiful restaurant, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

As a self proclaimed foodie, I am very serious when it comes to food.

This restaurant has an average menu, and doesn't feel very Greek. They have a lot to live up to with Taverna Kyclades just a couple of blocks away.

However, if you want to impress a girl and take her out on a date, this is the place to be. It is beautiful, and the staff is wonderful. Make sure you have reservations if you're planning to go during the weekend, as it can get very busy.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York, USA
“The Octopus is a must”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

It was def worth the trek out to queens. Atmosphere is trendy chic. Hostesses are attractive and the octopus app is a must. ! Now if I had 8 tentacles I would certainly be touching a pretty dish and not be on one. :)

Visited January 2014
New York City, New York
“Under seasoned food, not authentic, low cost to benefit ratio”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Came here with a group of 4 people. I was the first to arrive and as soon as I walked into the door, nobody greeted me. Three ladies working the front desk and nothing. No other customer was waiting behind me or in front of me. I was like, okay. I took off my gloves and earmuffs, checked my phone, sent out some text messages, still nothing. Then I approached them myself and told them we had reservations and I was the first one here. Then they started to talk. That's subpar service.

The nice thing was that they let me sit down first before our entire party had arrived. As soon as I sat down, I was greeted by our waitress and gave me water and bread. She was attentive because all throughout service she came by regularly to refill our waters. Even before service when all our members had arrived, the kept coming around to see if we wanted drinks. And I mean she came around A LOT and kept asking if we wanted drinks.

As for the food, in summary, not authentic and subpar in terms of taste, flavors, and pricing. You can get cheaper and better tasting food for cheaper.

Appetizers: meatballs (olives, onion, garlic, tomato sauce) and octopus (mediterranean chickpea salad). Overall, under seasoned dishes.

I liked the presentation of both dishes. That was about it. For the meatball dish, the meatball fell apart very easily and not very flavorful. Not much seasoning within the meat itself. I thought the tomato sauce was watered down. The olives to the dish made it interesting for me as I've never had olives with my meatballs but it couldn't save the dish.

As for the octopus, it was really "mushy" for me and not flavorful at all. It did have some grilled taste to it, and it was minimal, which I like because I don't like to taste burnt food but the rest of the dish didn't work. I thought the dish was too oily and despite having olives in it, I think it needed lemon and seasoning. I was indifferent to the chickpeas in the dish. I don't think it ruined it. If anything, it added texture to the mushy octopus.

Main courses: Grilled lamb chops with sauteed spinach, Dourade with fingerling potatoes, Beef burger, Kale salad & Crispy cod.

The grilled lamb chops came with 4 chops and inconsistently cooked. One was medium rare which is what I ordered, the other 3 were medium to medium well. They got the grill marks on it and it didn't taste burnt which was good. I also had ordered sauteed spinach which they put on the bottom of the dish with the lamp on top. I'm okay with that. However, there was TONS of salt. Definitely enough salt in my dish to be shared for the 2 under seasoned appetizers. The dish was also very oily. I mean, the amount of oil at the bottom looked like some of the asian restaurants that I've been to.

The dourade I felt was over cooked and my friend had very small bones in it even though it was butterflied. That fish didn't wow me.

I didn't get a chance to try the beef burger but i tried the smashed fries. To me, it kind of tasted like Frito Lay chips back in the day (not the baked stuff). It was okay. i don't know if it's necessary to double fry the fries.

I didn't try the kale salad but I did get to try the Crispy cod. The piece I got was crispy but my other friend pointed out that the cod wasn't crispy at all. Granted the crispiness was subtle and they put sauce over the cod so it definitely made it soggy.

Dinner service was excellent. The waitress was very knowledgeable of everything on the menu. No complaints there. Front of the house needs work. They do have a huge alcohol selection which is nice. Unfortunately, I would not come here again nor recommend it, unless you're only coming here for alcohol. Even having said that, I'm sure the prices would turn you away. The value of the money spent here in relation to quality of food is not worth it.

• Visited January 2014