“Pretty - but....if you can't eat eggs - forget Sundays”
Review of MP Taverna

MP Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
MP Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 576 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Pretty - but....if you can't eat eggs - forget Sundays”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Went to my new neighborhood place with a friend on a Sunday afternoon. Passing it EVERYDAY - always full, with a NYC kind of glow about it- I was already apprehensive about the cost.

It is not Greek , but Greek (Mediteranian INSPIRED) - in fact, some of the titles are rather misleading - ask if you are expecting a specific traditional dish or desert.

The Sunday brunch menu (specials?) seemed all about eggs - which I can't eat. There were other options (sandwiches, etc) but...for brunch, I was hoping for ....more.

It is pretty, the lighting is nice, the windows are clean, the staff professional. We noticed the (owner? manager?) stopped and talked to all the tables AROUND US through out our 1.5+ hours there - but never chatted with us (confusing, a bit off putting, as well - did we DO something wrong? not look "downtown" enough? )

So - if you are in the 'hood and need to impress and the lines at Taverna Kyclades is too long - sure - take your credit card here - pretend you are in soho and pay for that privileged illusion.

• Visited October 2013

Astoria, New York
“Good modern Greek food in Astoria”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The overall experience at MP Taverna was very good. I started with a delicious cocktail at the bar. When we transferred to a table, we tried to order wine. Unfortunately, it took us about 30 minutes because they didn't have what we were asking for. Eventually, we found a bottle that was in stock. Other than that, the meal was great. The octopus was DELICIOUS!!! One of the best I've had. The meals were reasonable and large portions. The staff was also great, especially after they didn't have most of our wine choices.

Visited August 2013
Woodside, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!!!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was my first visit but not my last! The ambiance was great, the place was packed but not loud. I loved how comfortable the chairs were and that the tables weren't low making us feel cramped. Our server was nice and quick with out drinks and food. The food was delish and the portions were perfect. Downstairs they had a very nice bar area, which, would be great for a group wanting to stop for drinks and/or a good meal before a night out. The dips were out of this world and had plenty of pita bread to go around. I found the beet salad to be amazing and the Bronzino was out of this world!!!! They had a nice selection of wines to go with everything as well as an extensive bar menu. I topped it off with a non traditional apple baklava, which, was really good! Also great for a date night or quite dinner with friends.

• Visited October 2013
NYC
“Hello Greek”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Amazing vibe. Classic decor with clean updated touches everywhere. Tasty delicious food. Attentive service. Will visit again.

Visited October 2013
NYC
“Astoria w/a downtown vibe”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Everything we tried on the menu was amazing, including the octopus and meatballs and dips. We shared the pasta special as an app as well, really nice with spinach and lemon. My fish entree was prepared perfectly, others at the table had the lamb which was fantastic. The service was a bit overkill, he tried to up sell us on appetizers and wine. But all said it was a lovely evening. I'd advise reservations no later than 7: we met then and when we left the place was mobbed.

Visited September 2013