“Enjoyable Dinner at Friendliest Restaurant!”
Review of The Thirsty Koala

The Thirsty Koala
Reserve with OpenTable
The Thirsty Koala is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 575 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
NYC
“Enjoyable Dinner at Friendliest Restaurant!”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My adult son wanted to come for the Kangaroo (which was delicious). Each of us had something different and we were all very pleased. Of special note (besides the Kangaroo) are the sauteed duck breast and the lamb lollies. All the sides were delicious as well. Everyone working there from the Hostess to the Chef (who came out to speak with all the tables on a very busy night) were the friendliest people we've encountered in a long time. The restaurant is small-ish and on the loud side and the crowd trends young and hip. We would certainly go again but might try a weeknight instead of Saturday night. We noted a number of Australians among the staff and the patrons. This boded well from the outset.

• Visited January 2014

Brooklyn, New York
“Wonderful Brunch”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Came here with a few friends and an Aussie friend who was visiting from Perth. I had the wattleswed waffle with ice cream and fresh berries. it turns out it is the seed of the national flower of Australia. It was delicious and gave the waffle a whole grain nutty kind of flavor.
My two other friends had omelettes. One was called Fresca which has their house made farmers cheese, shallots, roasted garlic and fresh spinach. The other was called Kalimera and it had their house made goat cheese, kalamata tapenade, fresh basil and prosciutto. My friends said they were very tasty and fluffy. They came with these delicious potatoes that were herby and citrusy. Last but not least my friend from Perth tried the pikelets, stacked pancakes Aussie style that are bigger than silver dollar pancakes but smaller than regular pancakes. He was pleasantly surprised by how good they were.

The flat white espresso was delicious. The complimentary mimosas and bloody mary's were appreciated. Overall great morning, great experience.

Woodside, NY
“Wow, that was a treat!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Just had a scrumptious lunch at this Australian themed restaurant. I had been searching on-line for a neighborhood cafe with a varied menu including plenty of vegetarian options, and discovered Thirsty Koala. After reading the reviews (not on TripAdvisor), and looking at the menu, I decided to try it out, and I'm so glad I did! Luckily they weren't busy because we asked our patient waiter so many questions that he had to send the cook out to help. The 3 of us ordered different dishes, and all of us were extremely pleased. I was impressed with the variety of menu items, the attractive presentation of the dishes, and the delightful and unexpected taste sensations!The portion sizes were very generous relative to their reasonable prices. I had a difficult time deciding what to eat, and will definitely return and order something else, which I expect will be equally delicious!

• Visited October 2013
NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Astoria Gem”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

This place is fantastic. Food is artisan and delicious. They make their own goat cheese here and it's creamy with just the right amount of tang. I had it in a kale salad that was wonderful.

Love the lamb lollies! They're perfectly seasoned and served with a bright baby arugula salad and outstanding caramelized pumpkin. I also tried the homemade stuffed grape leaves special and they were among the best I ever had.

My companion had grilled pompano. He loved it and was thrilled to find it on the menu. It came with lemon myrtle seasoned rice which was floral and delicious.

We shared a pavlova for dessert. What a wonderful meal. The servers were attentive and very enthusiastic without being intrusive and how can I forget the bar? Excellent selection of Australian and New Zealand wines. I really enjoyed the Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon with the lamb. My partner had the Matua Sauvignon Blanc with his pompano. We will be back.

New York City, New York
“Underwhelming visit”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

New brunch chef wanted. We took our friends to The Thirsty Koala because the brunch menu looked tasty and the reviews were positive. Unfortunately, the meal was regrettable. The G'Day, Loaded and Kalimera were overdone and dry. The potatoes were cold. This as a lukewarm start to a Sunday.

Does The Thirsty Koala actually fly in beef from Aussie? This is not very sustainable. You can still be a thirsty koala and provide an Aussie experience with local ingredients. Something to think about, mate.

Brunch was redeemed by the accompanying juice, tea and coffee choices. The service was nice. The space is somewhat warm. All in all, management should work on the food, so that we can come back and visit again.

Visited May 2013