“Laissez les bons temps rouler at Sugar Freak!”
Review of Sugar Freak - CLOSED

Sugar Freak
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you know anything about me is that I have been to New Orleans so often that I can consider it my second home. So to say that I am a connoisseur of the local cuisine would not be overestimating this statement. I have tried numerous restaurants in NYC that says they are Cajun restaurants and frankly they just did not cut the mustard. However, I can confidently say that Sugar Freak is a seven out of 10. The ambience is cute, the waitstaff and bartender very accommodating and the menu is not too extensive. Meaning that there are enough items on there to pretty much do most of the dishes right. My appetizer was the crawfish boudin balls with homemade potato chips and a dipping sauce which had a very nice kick. Can I say LOVED it! For a main entree, I decided to go with the buttermilk fried chicken, mac and cheese and collard greens all very good, but my favorite surprisingly were the greens. And finally for dessert we decided on the beignets with a banana fosters dipping sauce, not bad but not my favorite out of everything. But to be fair, I am not a fan of any dessert that has too much powdered sugar. Just be warned that it can be a little noisy and during busy times expect a bit of a wait but in my humble opinion, it is well worth the wait.

1  Thank tdmstory

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have been to the French Quarter of NOLA and love the free-loving good-times vibe. I've tried New Orleans food all over the NY metro area, and have always been sort of underwhelmed. Then I went to Sugar Freak and it brought me way back- to the French Quarter. First time, I had their crispy fried chicken, biscuits, and mac and cheese to die for. I washed it down with a couple of glasses of their sweet tea mixed drink. Not to mention, the place uses mostly recycled furniture for it's funky, eclectic, and very cozy decor. Tonight I stopped by for some of the piping hot, fresh beignets and a glass of ice coffee. The service is excellent too- nice down to earth vibe. Everyone comes to have a side of good time with their tasty NOLA food.

2  Thank MondialeNyc
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We came for brunch on a Sunday, the food was excellent and so was the spicy Bloody Mary.
We visit NOLA a couple of times a year and found the food at Sugar Freak to be authentic New Orleans Style with many of our favs on the menu. You wont be dissapointed.

1  Thank Patty718
Reviewed December 29, 2012

we've been here twice and its now one of our solid neighborhood favorites. first trip great brunch- spicy savory bloody marys, tasty shrimp and grits and a jambalaya with eggs that really hit the spot. we tried the fried oysters which were so so (they weren't freshly fried). second time dinner- excellent cajun martini if you like your drinks to punch you in the face with flavor, spicy fried chicken was out of this world- hot, crispy, juicy, perfect. collard greens were flavorful too. the fried okra was so delicious (they were freshly fried this time). we ordered the crawfish mac n cheese-- they definitely mastered the mac n cheese part but next time we'll get it without the crawfish because it doesn't add much. good beer selection. on a whim i ordered swamp juice, which you should skip unless you have the palate of a 5 year old (sugary, blue, gummy worm garnish).

1  Thank Mary A
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was my second time dining here, and in just a little over a year, the quality of the food served has definately gone downhill. First of all, if your looking for anything remotely resembling healthy food, or portions - look elsewhere. the only side dish that was even remotely good for you was also sold out, and this was on a night when most of the tables in the place were empty! The fried fish platter should be retitled "fried batter platter" as aside from a huge piece of catfish, the rest was mainly batter hiding what was supposed to be oysters, and mini mini shrimp....then the popcorn pudding (which sounds interesting) turned out to be this gluey gray mess in a bowl, which made me ill for the rest of the night.....also deserts were served while we still had our dinner plates in front of us....the staff was in the back, celebrating one of their birthdays - guess that that was more important to them.....

1  Thank BobC558