“Deceptive looks”

Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Port Harcourt
lagos
“Deceptive looks”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

After staying at this establishment several times now. The last stay out did the rest for the absolute lackluster performance of staff. Their willingness to deceive and the general disdain shown towards guests staying in the hotel. Upon Arrival the two front counter staff were happily engaged in a conversation and ignored my presence for several minutes. When they finally did attend to me the process was very poorly handled, I got the feeling that they were doing me a favor by giving me a room.
For Dinner I decided to select from the menu and was informed that there was no beef so I was not able to have a burger or a steak and on further inquiry, the beef special chalked up at the restaurant entrance was not available either. So after trawling through several other selections I settled on chicken breast. The outcome was not unexpected, having seen the service and efficiency of the rest of the place. Unceremoniously dumped in front of me, by a gentleman who clearly was more interested in talking to other staff, made me realize that customer satisfaction is not the order of the day. Contrary to what I was expecting the serving staff dropped off ( Literally shoved down) a plate containing a scrawny chicken leg, Hacked up in Lagos street style and some rice.
After asking to see the manager I was told :
1) there is no manager
2) the manager has traveled
Finally the waiting staff tried to pass off one of the kitchen or cleaning staff as "the manager". A novel concept, but having stayed in this hotel before these tricks were no longer working.
So after a long wait a nice gentleman appeared who was clearly dressing the role, and offered to make amends. But seeing his staff and their approach to work, I think he will have a hard time.

The tale of customer disdain continues at breakfast. As usual the omelette station was unmanned, no coffee was ready and staff were not seen, but could be heard debating in the kitchen. So after calling, and some banging on the kitchen door a surly waitress came out to explain that as a guest I was not allowed in the kitchen and they would be with me soon. However, I should avail myself of the buffet in the interim. Old, dry bacon, no name meat sausages and baked beans, a breakfast do not make. The fruit was acceptable however and eventually someone made an appearance with coffee and the omelette station guy came out. After some haggling two eggs were produced on a slice of toasted white bread. It was explained to me that my request for brown bread toast was now satisfied, as the white bread had been turned brown in the toasting process...

Room Tip: Don't get rooms close to the auto closing doors. Whenever the power goes of the slamming will wa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank fred f
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your posting and bringing to our attention the lapses in our service standard during your last stay.
Please accept my most sincere apologies, this is certainly not the high service standard we are known for and I am extremely disappointed to learn of your negative experience. I have personally investigated this matter and have discussed this occurrence with the concerned department.
I would like to inform you that we have taken immediate corrective action and please be rest assured that we will take all the necessary measures to ensure that there is no reoccurrence of this nature in future.
Mr. Fred, once again please accept my sincere apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Clean rooms, good food, nice service. But am a bit worried about the parking space. Little space for parking and you may be forced to park on the streets.

The food was good and the restaurant well located just by the reception. But there's something am not comfortable with at the check in. I can't put my finger to it, but some finesse need be brought to the check in desk. And who were those girls hanging around the reception and accosting people?

My advice is to pick a room with view to the polo field so as to savor the greenery.

Room Tip: Choose room with view to the polo field to enjoy nature.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Victor O
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Victor O.
Your kind and positive comments as regards the state of our Rooms, Food, Services and Restaurant location is very much appreciated.

About the Parking space, we share your concern but i must confess that getting additional space has been quite a challenge, nevertheless, we are looking into it.

Guest Satisfaction to us is paramount, we will do all we can to address all your complaints and observation.

Thank you for your Patronage, We look forward to seeing you again.
Edmond, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

The breakfast buffet was terrible, the staff did not seem to be interested in serving me. So I decided to have room service for all my other meals. Food was better and service was good. AC in the bedroom did not work the first night, a call to the front desk and it was fixed within 30 minutes to acceptable, not cold. Forget he gym, it is not nice and most machines do not work properly. It is time to change the linen it has seen some better days. Cleanliness is still good. Once again, this hotel could be much better with a little bit of attention to details.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the generators as they will be running most of the time.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Vindi S, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Ontheroadagain5154,

Thank you for your observations.

As for the Buffet, I assure you that it will only get better. Concerning the Gym, effort will be

directed at ensuring the equipments are in full operational status, likewise the linen which

already is in Progress.Once again we thank you for the Feedback as we look forward to

welcoming you soon.
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Good property. Definitely the best property in Port Harcourt. Internet speeds are good. Airconditioning could get better, especially in the lobby and bar and restaurant where it is really bad. The buffet food is not so great and is a little expensive so order a-la-carte.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank chait123
Uchenna E, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Mr Charit1,

Thank you for your great observations.

As for the buffet, i assure you that it will surely get better. work on our cooling system is in progres too.

We look forward to welcoming you soon!
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

It is always refreshing and empowering to return home to Nigeria and feel the same old fashion sense of caring, loving, and security that I have experienced and enjoyed in my many years of stay in the United States of America. Le Meridian Ogeyi Place - Port Harcourt not only re-assures and confirms to me that Nigeria is no different from any other five star hotel in New York city or Chicago, but Le Meridian Ogeyi Place - Port Harcourt is actually and uniquely better in many respects, because of its diverse offerings of indeginous dishes and those of the internationals. Every member of the staff, especially the sales segment and the front desk of the hotel went out of their way to offer assistance at all times, and made my stay a memorable one. This friendly and professional treatment are factors that will bring me back to stay at the hotel in the future.

Room Tip: This hotel is welcoming environment for all your needs .....business or pleasure.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gndukwe
Uchenna E, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Mr Gndukwe,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Starwoodhotels ensures we give uniform and consistent service while adapting to local culture.

We would be glad to welcome you again when you are in Nigeria.

Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel and my opinion has not changed; it is overpriced, dated and over rated. The rooms, beverages and food are all over priced. Most of the facilities need updating, especially the bathrooms which have fungus in some crevices. Customer service is average and be prepared to demand to be served in the restaurant.

In my opinion, one of the few positives of this hotel is the secure location and the security provided by armed and unarmed guards within the premises; in Porthacourt, security is priority over comfort and luxury.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SimplySammy
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

If you have a confirmation number for your reservation and you dont stand at the check in counter by latest 4pm you dont get your reservation honored by the hotel- that is what we were told by the reception staff.

Our company called on the day of our arrival to reconfirm our booking AND to inform the hotel of our delay of check in time. When we drove up to the entrance, the parking lot filled up with exceptionally expensive car. The lobby had a very impressive ambiance - too bad that the attitude of the hotel policies do not match the first impression of the wauw factor.
The attitude rapidly changed negatively towards us, once the reception staff realized that we were not "Arig crew". We were arrogantly turned away with a lousy explanation, guests who do not check in by 4pm, are not entitled to have their confirmation number honored.
Simply shameless and unacceptable- considering the fact that our company had taken the trouble to phone the le Meridien on the same day of our arrival to keep them informed and to secure our bookings.

There are only 3 hotels in Port Harcourt known in the market to be safe and of 5 star quality.
These hotels are mostly fully booked as there is not any competition. Clearly the Le Meridien does not have to practice any respect towards their guests or common decency with regards to clients services. Never mind the fact that we are Starwoods Rewards Card Holders.

Given the choice in any way shape or form, the le Meridien will be the last hotel on my list of choice WORLDWIDE
........but as I can imagine with the short sighted attitude of the hotel, they couldn't care less about their business reputation

Room Tip: check in before 4pm to get a room or go home
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ChancebyChanel
Uchenna E, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear Mr. Chancebychance,
Thank you for your review.
At Le Meridien Ogeyi Place, we value our guests and their patronage. We also understand how frustrating it could be for someone to arrive and not have a room available however, we recommend that our valued guests guarantee their booking by any form of payment to avoid such experience.
We apologize for any inconvenience and assure you that your encounter is not our practice. We hope that you would return and give us an opportunity to prove that.