Le Meridien Ile des Pins
$208
$155
Priceline
  • Pool
Hotel Kou-Bugny(Ile Des Pins)
$122
  • Beachfront
$193
$177
  • Breakfast included
Relais Kuberka(Ile Des Pins)
TripAdvisor
Gite NATAIWATCH(Ile Des Pins)
All reviewsnatural poolpiscine naturellelow tidefishpaddle boatsnew caledoniastunning locationtable tennisoro bayfood qualitycrystal clear waterday tripperswater sportsstar resorttropical paradiseturn down servicehotel facilities
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had a wonderful week at the le meridian it is in a truly beautiful location.the hotel is very clean room was fantastic we had a garden view room food was very good quality for an island the New Years buffet was amazing the French pastries to die for only down side was staff are not friendly hav been to many islands and at every other island resort people are so warm & friendly sadly not here I also think your staff should learn to speak English it is the universal language of today & here not many could understand it or chose to ignore it possibly French arrogance.very little to offer children we have a 2 year old there isn't a kids club or babysitting this resort is more catered for couples overall we did enjoy our stay & would recommend this hotel to anyone also be prepared to spend a lot of money very expensive overall

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mojca L
LeMeridienNoumea, Manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Mojca L,
Thank you for spending your holidays with us at Le Méridien Isles of Pines. I am very happy to read that you have fully enjoyed our site and the quality of our food. I am very sorry if our staff didn't make enough effort to speak english with you. There is normally always someone that can interact in english to satisfy our clients. Some of them will start in the coming weeks some english lessons so that in a near future they will be more comfortable with foreign clients. Normally, at the reception, when requested, our staff can provide with a baby sitter. We even have one that does speak english. Next time you come at Le Méridien, please ask in advance so that we have the baby sitter ready for your child and for you to fully enjoy a nice diner on the terrace.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

however, with a few simple improvements the hotel should be able to match the natural surroundings.
An incredible place, everything is like a post card. Only real trouble is that it is too far away from civilisation, but perhaps therefore it is worth going. We spotted several large turtles right in front of the hotel.
The hotel has a five star location. But it's service is closer to 3 start (equivalent to 4 French stars).
Everything is expensive in New Caledonia, and the hotel cannot be blamed for that. However, as part of a luxury chain, they simply have to step up to international benchmarks. I never have a problem with paying - as long as it is value for money, and in this case do not expect the Asian treatment of high quality and very attentive service.
E.g. food was always late. Even if we ordered a specific meal 24 hours in advance and asked that it be served as soon as the restaurant opened - it was still 30-60 minutes late. Fine if you are backpacking on your own time, but with hungry kids who are not accustomed to the French dining etiquette this is not ok.
The coffee is the terrible. I suggest to simply buy an nespresso machine and then at least be able to control the quality.
We looked at other resorts but as we booked last minute they were sold out. Which ended up being good for us as this must be the best resort on Isle des Pines. And proportionally the cheaper places would still have been costly.
We took a tour around the island but the guided was actually only a driver who did not speak English.
Almost everything we could think of was sold out, so in peak season remember that there is limited capacity on the island. So stock up and bring what ever you can think of.
I would stay here again, it is suitable for 3-5 nights. After that you would need to have a car to get around and explore the island.

Room Tip: We actually "only" had a garden view room in their bigger building. 62. This was excellent and we had could even see the ocean and bay from our room. I think these are better rooms than the garden villas. Our baby monitor could reach the restaurant so we were able to have a decent Christmas dinner.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dennis A
LeMeridienNoumea, Manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Good Morning Dennis A,

Thank you for posting your detailed comments on your stay at Le Méridien Isles of Pines. I am glad to read that overall your experience was positive and allowed you to enjoy the beauty of our site. As you mentioned our resort is far from any civilization that just makes our place so authentic and relaxing. Of course renting a car helps to discover more about the island, to visit some of the other bays and wonderful beaches around. There is a lot to discover on the Isles of Pines and we propose a wide variety of excursions (boat, pirogues, fishing...).
I am sorry to hear that the service was not always to your expectations. I would like to fully apologize for the waiting time at the restaurant you have experienced. Make sure that we are very concerned about service quality and we are working on improving, through trainings, the professionalism of our teams.
We propose Illy expresso coffee and I am very sorry to read that you didn't had a chance to try it. This coffee is proposed all day long and normally satisfy our clients.
We hope to see you again with your family for you to experience even more the beauty of the Island.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

The location is perfect, the hotel is clean but the service is not poor for a 4 stars.
They broke one of my luggage and they said it was another customer who broke it (I don't care,I gave my luggage to the hotel).
During the check out they sent all our luggage to the airport but we were going to another hostel. They even didn't apologies for that and we waited 2 hours without being able to eat because they think your are not a customer after the check out.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Manu31670
LeMeridienNoumea, Manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Bonjour Manu31670,
I am very sorry that the service didn't meet your expectations and I would like to apologize for the inconveniences. Nevertheless, regarding your luggage, I would like to state that the person in charge of your luggage explained that he didn't break it. We understand this have caused you some troubles we were very happy to offer you your meal at lunch time.
We hope you appreciated our gesture.
During your check out, it seems that your credit card didn't work to pay your extras. We fully understand this can happen and agreed to standby your invoice to be paid two days later. Again, my team thought they had been helpful on that point and had shown some willingness to find solutions. Finally, your luggage had been sent to the aerodrome while you were staying at another resort. However, as soon as the mini bus came back, your luggage have been delivered strait away to you. I believe that our team has been prompt to find solutions. I am sorry if all our efforts to help you didn't match your expectations but be assured that our team paid much attention to you and the quality of your stay.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

The Le Meridien Noumea has not changed much since we last stayed at the hotel almost ten years ago. We had changed after our lives had been turned upside almost nine years ago after our boy was diagnosed with autism. This was to be our first family holiday in as many years and we were excited to be returning to Noumea for a much needed 12 night break at Noumea and the Ile Des Pines.

We are Starwood Gold Preferred Guests and had booked a suite online and arrived at the hotel on the 13th April. To my surprise we were greeted by the very pleasant Michael at reception who was also there the last time we stayed. Our suite on the 5th floor was room 554 and 556, two a joining rooms with one room containing a king bed and the other a sofa lounge set. At least we had two bathrooms. The rooms were tired and the furniture in need up an upgrade or replacement. We did have a spectacular view from our large double balcony across the ocean, out to the helipad and down to the hotel pool. Unfortunately, the balcony stone floor was in such terrible condition that it was like walking on sharp gravel.

The first thing that went wrong was with room service on the first night. We ordered a child’s spaghetti, an adults spaghetti, a steak well done and plain vanilla ice cream. After some time the food arrived, we received one spaghetti, a steak and a chocolate mouse. After some discussion about the order the waiter radioed the kitchen for another spaghetti and left. Our autistic son is used to routine and only eats certain food so the spaghetti was good. The well done steak was swimming in a small pool of blood and when cut into was cooked more blue than well done. We rang the room service to take to plate away and to cancel the other spaghetti, just replace the mouse with vanilla ice cream. Upon inspecting the rare steak, the room service waiter proceeded to tell us that this was how they cooked a steak well done in this country. Now really, a well done steak should be the same in what ever 4 star hotel you stay in.

The next morning we went to Le Sextant for the buffet breakfast. It had not changed since our last visit and offered a simple but adequate selection. The staff were a mixture of friendly and rude. We were greeted well but it seemed we were inconveniencing them if we requested something or asked for something that had run out to be replenished. My wife ordered two poached eggs and when the plate arrived was absolutely horrified to find some glass fragments on her plate. Various staff members came in and out to join a conference discussing the situation but did not seem to keen to show concern to us.

After the room service order mix up, the well done steak comment and the glass fragments on the plate I had to go and tell reception how I felt. Michael could not be more apologetic and went off to the kitchen to investigate. For our troubles we were given a bottle of Frederic Thomas Champagne. Frederic who?

Part of the reason we returned to Noumea was to enjoy some reasonably priced French wine and champagne. The next few days we took drove our hire car around the streets of Noumea.

The hotel pool was nice and it was relaxing to sit by the pool for an hour or as long as our son could manage before needing to move on. Probably one of the best experiences of the hotel is lunch at the Le Fare. We enjoyed most of the items on the menu, the house French white was great and the relaxed setting looking over the lagoon was worth savouring every moment.

The beach is right next to the hotel and offers the opportunity to swim in high tide or when the tide is out you need to wade out along way to deeper water. Unfortunately, our son had a small accident in the ocean water and as a consequence he has refused to get back in the water ever since. He was swimming near one of the yellow buoys when he must have stepped on the ground and trod on a sea urchin. Being autistic he can’t talk just screamed out loud. When I went to rescue him, I too stepped on one and had a couple of needles in my foot. My son however, had about 20 needles on his toes, heal and sole. I carried him to the guy who looks after the beach towels and he told us to go to our room and he will ring for a doctor.

About 10 minutes later a local doctor was put through to our room and instructed us to bath our feet in hot water for 30 minutes and then come to his local surgery. He said the front desk will know where to send us. I believe I stood on the urchin so that I could gauge the pain my son was in and be able to demonstrate to him what we had to do. It really is the simple things in life that you take for granted and are just not easy when you are dealing with a disability.

At reception, they knew us by name by now but were surprised when I said the doctor who was put through to our room said to come to them for directions to his surgery. After a couple of phone calls they gave me directions to drive a couple of km’s and said the surgery was next door to the chemist. Turned out it was actually about 800m down the road from the chemist.

We had booked some nights at the Ile Des Pines and had not yet made arrangements on how we were going to get there. Originally, we thought our son would find the small plane too traumatic and decided the ferry might be the better option. Whilst the tourist websites state the ferry goes daily, it does not and the day we needed to travel it did not run. The staff on reception were very helpful in assisting us with booking return flights to the island.

We arrived at the airport in Ile De Pins and the hotel taxi took us on the short drive to the hotel. The ride was a bit of a white knuckle ride but we got there safely. It seems a real surprise that for a 5star hotel in a remote spot on an island that you have to pay extra for the shuttle service.

On arrival at the hotel we were a bit early and had to wait around until our room was ready. The location of the resort was pretty much picture perfect with nice lush tropical gardens, a nice pool, large open lounge and seating areas and a spectacular view out to the turquoise lagoon of Oro Bay. In the distance, your could hear the constant roar of the ocean crashing onto the reef.

Our bungalow was one of the few that was detached and only a short walk from the main hotel to the point where the river meets the lagoon. The balcony overlooked the river and to the front you looked out past a couple of chairs under an umbrella overlooking the lagoon and ocean. The room had plenty of security on the front door and it appeared the two sliding doors to the balcony deck at the back were only assessable from inside. The bungalow had a nice living area, separate bedroom and large dressing room and bathroom. Everything that the you would expect for the price tag. The one thing that did seem confusing was that the modem did not work in the room and wifi was only available in the reception area. Of course Internet connection was extra.

The food at the Ile Des Pins was far superior to the food available at Noumea and we enjoyed both breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you have children, you should certainly take out the kids club pass.

Once again our experience with the staff left a few things to be desired. The consistency of both the Le Meridien resorts was very up and down. Some staff were extremely helpful and other seemed like the guest were ruining their day.

I was really shocked one morning at about 10am when I went to the pool shed to ask for the lounge cushions for the pool chairs and was told no because it might rain. As a paying guest in a hotel, I’d expect that if I want to sit out on the sun loungers then that would be my choice and not that of the staff. Needless to say, it threatened but did not rain that day.

One dinner time we ordered our food and a nice bottle of Chateauneuf-du-pape from the menu. Even though we reminded the staff about our wine order during our entree, the bottle did not arrive until after we had finished our main course.

How a holiday can quickly turn to an absolute disaster in a minute. On our second night we were in bed at about 9.30 with our son asleep and my wife and I just dozing off. We heard a loud dragging noise and then awoke to see a torch flickering around in our bungalow room. My wife being more awake than I, turned to me saying “there is someone in our room”. I immediately jumped to my feet to see a man running out of the back door and across the sand along the beech with my heart pumping a million times a minute.

We called reception to explain what had happened and a man came to our door within a few minutes. My wife and I were really shaken and concerned that someone was able to break into our room whilst we were lying in bed. The door does not have any handles on the outside and can apparently only be opened from the inside by lifting the handle and sliding the door along the runner. The reception night manager proceeded to suggest that we may have left the door unlocked or not closed it properly. He also told us that a break in had never occurred before and that the resort is protected by security guards. He would make sure that a security guard would do extra rounds for the remainder of the evening.

For us the horse had already bolted as they say and there was no way we were going to be able to sleep that night. I pulled all of the chairs and tables together to barricade the inside of the door and used the curtain ropes to tie the doors closed. Needless to say my wife and did not sleep for a second for the remainder of the night. The isolation of the hotel meant that we had to at least wait until morning before we could leave the resort.

Still shaken from our experience the night before we had breakfast and it was not until about 9.30 that the hotel manager came to see us about the previous evening. It was clear that we had had an intruder as the mans sandy footprints could be seen across the deck, into our room and then a line of footprints in the sand as he ran off along the beach.

Once the hotel manager pulled himself away from a couple of business men, he showed us some compassion and again stressed that this had not occurred at the resort before. He offered us a free cup of coffee while we sat around the pool and said we could stay in the room until we were due to leave at 2pm for our flight even though check out is normally at 12.

Somehow, he did not tell reception that we could be in our room until 2pm because when we returned after lunch to pick up our bags the room was locked. Here I am thinking the intruder did it, so how easy can it be to break into a bungalow. All you need to do is go onto the balcony, lift the heavy wooden door very slightly on the right hand side so the handle look is clear of the hole and simply slide the door open. It made a bit of noise as the door slides along the runners, but I can see how easy it was for our intruder to gain access to the room. I am just thankful that we woke to scare him away when we did and the hotel were not consequently dealing with an even more serious situation of three dead guests.

On checking out, the hotel manager assured us that it was a one off and as compensation for our situation we would be given some points on our SPG card. He also waived a small upgrade charge that we had incurred for the bungalow stay. Nothing about any other room or food charge we had incurred. For having to experience an intruder in your room during the night, we were given 10,000 SPG points. I’m not sure what I expected, but it was not 10,000.

On our return to the Le Meridien Noumea we had a further two nights before our departure back to Sydney. At this stage, all we wanted to do was get home but could not change our flights and had to wait. The reception staff recognised us instantly and were aware of our ordeal, they seemed sympathetic and had offered us that the hotel would have more security. I should think so, it was a large hotel complex.

On the promise that they would look after us for our final two nights, I once again anticipated what I would call being looked after. Expecting to be offered a nicer room that the suite we had pre-booked, we were put into a suite on the third floor looking into the complex and across from the Hippocampe restaurant. The room was not even on the higher Starwood Preferred guest levels that a gold member should usually enjoy. After some negotiation, we were given the previous room 554/556 we had stayed in.

That afternoon the hotel general manager called and asked if I would meet him before I left. Not wanting to wait to see what he had to say, I met him straight away. He was sincere in his apology for our experience and offered us to have dinner at the hotels cost. It had been impossible to eat out the entire holiday with our autistic son only wanting room service spaghetti, so we agreed to have room service from the restaurant menu. He offered to send us up a bottle of French wine.

Expecting to be paid off by a nice bottle of red wine I was shocked when the waiter delivered a red that was a screw cap. This was the first time I had ever seen a French bottle of red in a screw cap and after a search on the Internet found it retained for less than $5. It tasted like it too.

I really felt that the hotel could think they could buy us off for 10,000 points, a cheap bottle of red wine and a free dinner.

Our final day came with one small surprise that really did put the icing on the cake for our holiday to remember. One of the windows in our hire car in the hotel car park had been smashed! I reported it to the hotel reception and then had to take the car back to the rental company for a replacement. I believe that the hotel took care of the repair charges on the car window.

It has taken me quite some time to feel up to writing about my experience. My wife still after 7 months will wake at night over this break in incident. I found the experience incredibly stressful and upon return from our holiday suffered a very painful break out of singles across my face. I needed to take three weeks off work and the blisters have permanently scared my forehead.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
15  Thank Kevin S
LeMeridienNoumea, Marketing and communication manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear KFexis,
Thank you for your comment. Our hotel manager will contact you by telephone shortly.
Best regards

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Resort is amazing, you can stay here for 3 days without going to any other attractions. However, this island English is an issue and the staff are REALLY REALLY slow. We stayed in a garden villa over-looking the pool and the room and view was absolutely amazing! Food in the restaurant is very good too (you will probably only eat here as you will need to call a taxi to travel to the other restaurants on the island) When we checked out, we were overcharged for room service which we didn't order and it took them 15-20 min to sort it out. For the price paid, I would expect better service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
LeMeridienNoumea, Manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Dear Siusin206,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am glad you have appreciated the site, the beauty of the view from the resort and the food quality in our restaurant. We are very concerned that all our staff is not capable of speaking english that is why we are going to reinforce training in that subject. We are always trying to improve service to our clients and be assured that managers are doing their best to supervise and train their team.
Warm Regards,