All reviewsnatural poolpiscine naturellefishlow tidepaddle boatsnew caledoniastunning locationtable tennisoro bayfood qualityday tripperstropical paradisewater sportsmeal timesstayed for nightspine treesend of the day
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Couldn't have been more impressed with level of service offered during our all too brief stay. Thanks especially to the chef and Xavier who organised the 12 year old's freshly caught fish to be presented as a beautiful meal only hours later.
The rooms were comfortable and beautifully maintained, there was plenty to do if one had the urge and the setting is stunning. The kids appreciated the ping pong table, the kayaks and the pool table, games and DVD's when the weather got dodgy.
Yes, the food is on the pricey side, but it's an island where supply is an issue. Expect it.
The only issue my daughter and I had revolved around the outrigger excursion, where we had elected to catch a bus back rather than walk on an inland track to the hotel. Given that we were two females on our own, I thought this would be the safer option. We were not told at which point the bus would collect us and got off at the end of the trip only to find the track with no vehicle access. We ended up in the company of some really lovely people and enjoyed the walk but would have appreciated instructions detailing pick up point arrangements. Presumably we were supposed to stay on the pirogue for the return journey???Anyway, I paid for seats on a bus that we did not use and nobody from the resort followed up on what had happened to us.
Otherwise, the time we spent at Le Meridien was fabulous. It's such a gorgeous part of the world. And if you're into fishing, my boys had a ball out on the kayaks with lures and poppers. They brought their own rods and caught more fish here than anywhere else they threw a line in. All released again apart from the one delicious dinner experience!

Room Tip: We had rooms looking out over the pool. They were great. Hated the feather pillows though- sounds posh but they're just not comfy.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ALG70
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We had lunch at the restaurant- 3 burgers and a tiny tiny wrap, plus 2 beers and 2 lemonades will set you back $200 Australian- the service is slow and the food mediocre. There was only one other occupied table while we were there- and the staff DO NOT speak English- which is fine, but a pain when your French is very bad.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank HermoineGrainger
LeMeridienNoumea, marketing and communication manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Dear guest,

We are truly disappointed to learn that your experience at Le Méridien Ile des Pins did not meet your expectations.
However we are very thankful for the time you took to give us your comments, and please be sure that they will help us improve our service.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future and show you the changes!

Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stayed at Le Meridien Ile des Pin from 2nd to 4th July 2010 and found this resort to be located close to the Piscine Naturelle (natural swimming pool) where the views are stunning! In just a few minutes walk and you are at this amazing scenic spot where the skyline all around you is bordered with pine trees, and the water, different shades of blue and green.

The Hotel Check-in was smooth with the usual welcome drinks and towels. Noted the presence of a fireplace in the hall, a strange sight at a beach resort!

The rooms are clean, very spacious and the amenities adequate with well renowned French brand toiletries. A separate table for writing and as a dressing table is provided, a TV, a good size room table, in-room bar, combo set, etc. The toilet/shower is dark and needs the lights to be on when you’re using these. Our pool view room has a shutter window between the bedroom and toilet. When opened, the room appears even larger with a see through view from the toilet-bedroom to verandah. The verandah is also very large fitted with two comfortable chairs and a large table.
We have no complaints about the food. The staff was pleasant and courteous. The resort very quiet, probably as there were not that many other guests. The breakfast selection was not that wide, but it was adequate with a good section of breads.

From the hall, a staircase takes you up to the loft where there is a well-stocked library, a snooker table and a chess set.

We would class this resort between four to four and a half stars, and yes, service is slow, food expensive, no internet, etc. but the grounds are quite lovely and it’s truly a place to chill out. There is a certain ‘tropical’ feel to the place probably because of the coconut palms, ferns, bamboos and cycads! Instead of communicating with our hand phones, which can prove very expensive, we brought along walkie-talkies. As it was their ‘winter’ period and the weather chilly, we didn’t take to the waters, but with a rented car from the airport, drove around the island exploring the various scenic spots, including caves up in the north.

I include some pictures not shown in the selection of reviews for this Resort to give more insights to the place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank John-KT-Lim
Reviewed May 23, 2011

The nature in Ile de Pins is OK, but nothing exceptional.
The island does not have any infrastructure at all.
The hotel Meridien is a small hotel, witha swimming pool not bigger than a regular luxury home, a very small restaurant with few options, and does not have a fitness center.
The room is OK. But that's all.
After one day day there you fall in the same routine. Because the hotel has very little fun options. And the island has absolute nothing to do, even a good restaurant.
And if you think using the internet, think twice because they charge you something like 6 DOLLAR PER HOUR.
SO PLEASE, DON'T GO THERE. IS REALLY, REALLY BORING. BORINNNNNGGGGG!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank BEMVENUTTI
LeMeridienNoumea, Marketing & Communication manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2011

Dear guest,

Many thanks for valuable comments regarding your experience at our property!
We apologize if the hotel and destination did not live up to your expectations and that you found everything boring! We’re very disappointed to learn this given that, despite the tranquil, pristine and unspoilt beauty of the Isle of Pines, there’s really quite a lot to do such as: lagoon tour to explore the southern islets, scuba diving, an island tour to discover Vao village and main sites, authentic outrigger tour on Oro or Upi bay, bush walks and so on.

We are all the more sorry that you we’re able to enjoy some of Le Meridien suggested on-site activities such as: morning tai-chi class, green coconut tasting, traditional “bougna” cooking, discovering the traditional ways to fish, or local cultural activities, visiting our cooking and cultural gardens. What a shame that we failed in our mission to fulfil your curiosity and discover something new!
We do hope that we will nevertheless welcome you back when you’re in the mood for atmosphere and ambiance that Isle of Pines and Le Meridien Ile des Pins offers and perhaps enjoy some of the activities on and off site that you might have missed. Merci and à bientôt!

Reviewed May 1, 2011

Have just returned from a 7 nights 8 day stay at Le Meridien Ile des Pins. The location is stunning, best swimming/paddling lagoon at high tide but also great wading at low tide, and if you ever get sick of the sea, the pool is also great. We had a deluxe bungalow (Bungalow 36) - this is the bungalow to have (even better than the cliff top bungalows) with fantastic lagoon/sea and channel views from all windows, so long as you don't mind being in a potential fishbowl. However, this was as good as it got – the hotel service from the restaurant to reception to room cleaning left quite a lot to be desired.

I had read the trip advisor reviews for Le Meridien Ile des Pins before booking the trip and had decided to take it all with a grain of salt – well more fool me. The first day or so, I had my "happy holiday" goggles on, so overlooked the obvious flaws in the standard and consistency of service that, with the benefit of hindsight and had I not turned a blind eye to those flaws, I would now be deaf from all the warning bells that began ringing from the minute I sat down for lunch on the first day.

There is only the one restaurant at the place which managed to serve a mixture of mediocre to really bad food for the entire length of the stay (try fish that you couldn’t cut through (what the …), dried out chicken and veal dishes, main meals of scallops and risotto, and a prawn/lobster bisque combination, both of which were served lukewarm – lukewarm risotto, blegh), and a level of inconsistency between dishes that was completely incomprehensible – should you order the same dish twice in a row, it was a matter of potluck what you would get. An entrée one day of zucchini with parma ham served with a parmesan curl, when ordered again, somehow came with an entirely different type of “curl” even though the menu still referred to the parmesan curl. And the aforementioned prawn/lobster bisque combination looked very different and pathetically mediocre compared to the same dish that was being served to other diners around me. And all the food tarted up to look 5 stars to justify the 5 star prices that we, the hapless diners, were being charged. And that was just the dinner menu. On the last morning of our stay, there was no hot food at the breakfast buffet because the chef had slept in – well ok then!

There was also complete inconsistency to the room cleaning schedule which meant that we were never sure what time to expect our room to be serviced (which meant a lot of furtive walking past the bungalow throughout the day and sneaking a peek inside to see if the place at been cleaned). One morning shortly into the stay, the cleaning lady knocked on the door at around 8.00am inquiring whether we would like the room cleaned – we were just out of bed and still in our pjs (thank god I at least sleep with my pjs on). I foolishly said that we were having breakfast at 9.00am and could she come back then, which meant that we missed our chance on having our room serviced that morning, and despite requesting at least twice throughout the day for the room to be cleaned, the room wasn’t serviced until around 3.00pm. Even then, drinking glasses that we had used the night before for our G&Ts had not been replaced, and left sitting where we had left them, and the stock of teabags (one of the few non-chargeable luxuries) had not been not replenished (we had to ask at the reception desk). And we were the lucky ones – another couple told us that they regularly didn’t have their room cleaned till late afternoon/early evening. The turn down service was also inconsistent – on the first night, the service took place when we were at dinner, but every night afterwards, they would come around when we already back from dinner and settling in for the night. Inexplicably (or is that laughably), and having had the mosquito net at the head of the bed tied back for the length of our stay and not touched at all by the turn down service, on the very last night, when the turn down service for only the second (and last time) took place when we were at dinner, the mosquito net was untied and artfully arranged around the bed. And positioned quite beautifully in the middle of the bed, was … our bill.

As for the activities, yes the snorkeling in crystal clear water was amazing, especially the piscine naturale which they justifiably promote, but we were also very keen on attending a local dance performance one evening and a weaving workshop the next evening. On both occasion, the activities did not start at the scheduled starting time. The dance performance, which was meant to start at 6.00pm, was winding up when we arrived at 6.00pm. We’re still not sure what happened to the weaving workshop that was advertised as starting at 5.30pm. Of course when we turned up at that time, there was no sign of any activity, so we went back to our room to scoff our duty free gin only to turn up for dinner at 7.30pm to see evidence that a weaving workshop may have taken place (btw, stock up on duty free alcohol – although the expense of the place wasn’t really an issue, it just got to a point however where I was so glad I had brought duty free particularly because half way through the stay, I was trying to minimize my spending as much as possible because I simply felt that I was being taken for a ride by the hotel and not getting anything in return. At the end of the day, I just felt the hotel was being very stingy (eg failure to replenish tea bags in room) and towards the end of the stay, I was of the mind that if I could find a way of cutting down on my expenses to put less money into the corporate coffers then I would try and find a way – maybe it doesn’t make any difference but it made me feel better). On the last night, a local band was meant to start playing at 5.30pm. Of course when we turned up at 5.30pm, they had not yet arrived, and when we made inquires, we got the typical French shoulder shrug and were informed they could be starting at 6.00, maybe 6.30 (the band didn’t start playing till about 6.10pm – not that I was keeping time by then – well perhaps I was).

And on the last night, thinking we would make it a special occasion, the food service reached an all time low (not enough space here to go into the level of dysfunctional service that last night but try sitting there when everybody else around you are being served the obligatory amuse bouche and you’re not – can’t help but feel a little bit of a social pariah).

I don’t blame any of the Island staff – instead, I think the fault lies very much with management. I certainly did not get the impression that the staff was being managed well or even adequately trained and at no time did I get a sense that the place was being managed properly or that there was even a manager on site who I could direct my concerns/queries to.

Don’t get me wrong however, we did have a good time and have very fond memories of the trip (it poured with rain one day, but that was also fine as the bungalow was comfortable enough that we put on a DVD and read books all day – it was one of those truly veg day where once you got over the initial feeling of guilt, it was pure bliss because there was simply nothing else to do – but even then, the rain must’ve affected the air conditioning unit because it started to pump really foul, damp smelling air into the room – that on top of a failure to service the room in a timely manner took the gloss off the place – thank god that was the last day).

At the end of the day, I am disappointed in the place given the cost. Although the environment is truly amazing, I am not sure I would be heading back there anytime soon and if I do recommend it, it would be with the proviso that you visit with your eyes wide open to the flaws and, particularly, don’t expect the 5 star service that you obviously will be forking out for or, alternatively, make sure you demand that service. In my opinion, there needs to be a complete overall in management which is truly long, long, long overdue.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mixie6903
LeMeridienNoumea, Marketing and communication manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2011

Dear guest,
Thank you for your very honest and detailed feedback. We are of course very sorry and disappointed to know that our service did not meet your expectations.
We wish to let you know that we will implement appropriate trainings for our staff and reinforce our management supervision. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future and show you that we can satisfy you.