“Cool to say you've done it - Climbing the hill is tough”

Alter Action Sandboarding
Ranked #6 of 40 Tours in Swakopmund
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer daily sandboarding trips from Swakopmund. Trips depart at 9:30 am and includes transport from your accommodation, equipment, a DVD and a light lunch. We are back in town before 2 pm. Stand up boarding done on snowboards with soft boots and bindings. No experience necessary. 500N$ Lie down boarding zooming head first down the dune reaching speeds of 70kph. 400N$
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 9, 2016

I do not actually know which company we went with, but I would imagine it is a similar experience across the board. Our guide was awesome!! It was really cool to say that we had tried it, however, we really enjoyed quad biking. Climbing up the hill was very tiring. I think the company should join with the quad biking group and take people on quads back up the dunes!

1  Thank karlym577
in 14 reviews
"activity"
"company"

Reviewed January 21, 2016

This is the company to use if you are going to go sand boarding. They have been doing it over 20 years. The staff is amazing. The price is outstanding. They will video and document the whole trip and give you the video at the end. This is all included in the price. They pick you up from your hotel, take you to the dune feed you lunch and drinks and bring you back.

Reviewed November 7, 2015

Once in Swakopmund this is one of those things you probably do not often have the opportunity to do, sandboarding. Either do it standing on a snowboard, (little bit of experience IS required) or do it lying flat down on a slate. I did both and found the sandboarding a little tricky to get a hold of. Needed two runs to get the hang of it, but after this it was great fun! The walking up the dunes is a bit tiring though.

After the standing-up I did the lying down as well and man this is a thrill. You soar down a dune while a guy from alter action films it and one measures the speed. Some of us actually got some air time on our way down and speeds over 70 km/h are easily reached.

The lunch + drinks afterwards are a nice add-on, as well as the free DVD. There is also an option to buy high quality photo's later that day.

Reviewed October 13, 2015

I loved this experience. At $N350 (approx. $26 USD), it was very reasonably priced, especially because the price included lunch, transport to and from the dunes, and a free DVD. The guides were wonderful, and lie-down boarding was easy enough that everyone in our group was able to figure it out. Coming down the dune at 67 km/hr was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life! If you get the chance, you should absolutely go lie-down boarding with Alter Action.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 24, 2015

Had a fantastic time. We were collected from our accommodation and taken to the dunes. Great staff, all friendly and very helpful. I was the first to take a tumble, and had a laugh at myself on the video afterwards. The walks up are tough but are part of the experience and I carried on as best as I could, even though I was always at the back. The views are great. We a fantastic experience that we will forever remember. If you visit Swakopmund it is an experience you must not miss.