“AMAZING”

Alter Action Sandboarding
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer daily sandboarding trips from Swakopmund. Trips depart at 9:30 am and includes transport from your accommodation, equipment, a DVD and a light lunch. We are back in town before 2 pm. Stand up boarding done on snowboards with soft boots and bindings. No experience necessary. 500N$ Lie down boarding zooming head first down the dune reaching speeds of 70kph. 400N$
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was the most amazing experience ever! I did the standing up boarding and then the laying down. It is hard work as you have to climb up the dunes after you go down but it is 100% worth is as the views are amazing and the feeling when you are going down on the board! When I did the laying down the speed we went was ridiculous!! I would defiantly do this again! Don't worry if you have never had any experience with this as I had never even been skiing, the teachers show you exactly how to do it and they are so lovely and experienced!

There are newer reviews for Alter Action Sandboarding

Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Went on a sandboarding Trip recently with Alter Action. We had so much fun. Obviously the walk up was brutal, but the view was so amazing, when we got up to the top of the dune. The guides where Fun and very funny. It was Good to get a fair share of exercise. The guys from Alter Action are great, the Beer at the end of the Trip was a blessing. What was nice about the Trip, is that you get a Video of the Hard work you did that Day. From Kick Sand Production. Best activity to do in Swakopmund!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had an awesome time thanks to Bambo and his crew. Our youngest child (5 years old) boarded down the slope on their back and then on most ocassions was piggy backed back up to the top. It is hard enough work climbing back up the dunes yourself let alone carrying someone else up, but this was no problem to them. They were exceptional with kids and very laid back and easy going. We would highly recommend them if you want a fun time especially with children.

2  Thank Sandra H
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We did the sandboarding excursion last month in Swakop and it seemed like it would be a lot of fun. We hiked the brutal 90 m high dune and lugging the helmet and pads and very large and heavy sled, just felt like it wasn't worth all the work to do more than a couple of runs. I've heard that other outfits will take you up the dune so if you're looking for a relaxing vacation activity, I'd find one of them. In addition to the rigor of the activity (which isn't a deal breaker but wasn't what we were hoping for), I felt that the staff working for Alter-Action were unprepared, irresponsible and immature. First of all, they brought only a couple of bottles of water for the group of 30 people. It was insufficient supplies and everyone was forced to share. I'm far from a germaphobe but I think that this is just a dummy decision if you're concerned at all about public health. The lunch wasn't great but that's ok as long as there is water in the hot desert to go with lunch. Sodas and beer only and the staff were pressuring people to drink beer since most people were asking for water and going for soda when that wasn't an option. Another thing, people got tired of hiking up the dunes just to board down and wanted to take a break but there was nowhere shady to rest. I think that they should bring one of those easy to put up temporary shades with them when they go out so people don't have to be out in the direct sun the whole time. Also, when people wanted to rest or take a break the staff would come over and put a lot of pressure on them to keep going. It was awkward and unprofessional. Finally, the lead of the staff at one point started yelling at a couple who wanted to get down the hill to rest when they were burned out because they forgot to carry their sleds. It was also very awkward, for the CLIENTS to get yelled at in front of everyone and then she started to yell at her staff about it. Pretty ghetto experience if you ask me. I'd def go sandboarding again, just would def also find another company to use.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I spent the afternoon sandboarding with Swakop Sandboarding (African Style) and then went with them the following day on a township tour. Sandboarding (in fact nearly all outdoors adventures in Swakop) is usually done in the morning as the wind picks up in the afternoon, but they took us out at late notice for an afternoon from about 2.30 till 5. Our guide Costa was a great teacher and photographer and very interesting to chat to about life in Namibia.

The following day we went with his colleague Bambo on a tour of the Mondessa township which lasted from 3pm till 7pm. He was an extremely knowledgeable guide and it was a real insight into the racial segregation that is more or less hidden from tourists. We were able to visit families from each of the 4 main tribal groups and even had a lesson in the "click"languages before finishing off with a couple of beers and some food at one of the shabeens. Well worth it if you want to find out a little bit more about life in Namibia.

1  Thank Damarg