Riad de la mer
$96
Riad Chbanate(Essaouira)
$138
  • Breakfast included
Palais des Remparts(Essaouira)(Great Value!)
$57
$229
$204
Hotels.com
$349
All reviewsprivate roof terraceevery morningstayed for nightsbreakfast was deliciouspancakesdianefloorriadheartmarrakechjam
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great place to stay, fantastic location 5 minutes from the port. Amazing views from the terrace over the water. Awesome apartments, very clean, high-ceilings, loads of books. Decadant breakfast with very good strong coffee in the morning. Loads of fantastic restaurants nearby. Only downside was other resident who spent hours and hours skyping her friends in England. We could hear every word she said!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank David W
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have been with my wife for four nights. Everything was perfect since the beggining. Diane is a really kind person and she has helped us to arrange everything, even the taxi from Marrakech. Abdul is ready to help you any moment and he is really friendly as his wife.
Breakfast in terrace is something relaxed. It is really good located inside the Medina.
The best I could say: I will come back to Riad de la Mer, because Essaouira is amazing and the Riad is perfect.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

it was wonderful!
We spent two days in this wonderful hotel! The view from our window, I can not forget ever! This crazy sense of the vast ocean. stunning rooftop terrace, we were there alone. Sunbathed and drank Moroccan tea! in the alleys of the old town, we found the fish market! There you can choose the fish and whey can cook it for a little money! seen from any city in Morocco we most loved this place. Breakfast was delicious! I advise all room, overlooking the ocean. This is a fabulous!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This house is really beautifully renovated, with due respect given to the lovely period features and an excellent eye for decoration. The finishes are really a class above those used in most of the other riads I've seen in Essaouira (and I've seen a few!) and the owner, Diane, has a really lovely aesthetic sense. Saida and Abdul Rahman, who take care of the house, are wonderful, patient, and helpful people. They took care of us incredibly well while we were there. I can't recommend this place highly enough! On top of all of that, the location is as good as it gets in Essaouira -- right off the main square, with an amazing view of the port from the terrace. This place is lovely, well cared for, and feels like a home away from home. I'll be back as soon as I can.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2012

After much research I decided to stay at Riad de la Mer and I definately was not disappointed, when I saw our room I wanted to cry as it was so beautiful, I felt like I was in a photo shoot for Elle Decoration!

Diane (the owner) is from the UK, she was quick to respond to our booking enquiry and gave us plenty of useful information about the riad and Essouira in general. We arranged to meet Abdul the caretaker, who took us to the Riad which is near the front of the town down a dark alley/tunnel, I must admit that I felt abit apprehensive as it was so dark, but once inside there is a colourful tiled court yard with several communal rooms such as a kitchen, salon and large dining room. Looking up to the sky there are 3 floors above you which have a separate beautiful apartment on each floor, filled with gorgeous antiques, and nicknacks such as vintage kaftans on the walls and huge gilt mirrors. Each apartment is completely different. We had asked for the salon on the rooftop, which is like a mini apartment separate from the main one, the stairs are very steep, but the climb is well worth it!

Our room was clean and bright in shades of cream and white, there was a cute tiled wet room off the bedroom and separate lounge area with a fireplace (I could imagine that it would be fab to be there in the winter when you could get cosy by the fire) there was a welcolme fridge and kettle in the room. The place was filled with unusual bits and pieces which I loved as it was so homely and very different to anywhere I have stayed before.

There was a large Terrace on the top of the riad which gave you amazing views of the town, this area could do with being done up abit, it could be as amazing as the rest of the house, as so much thought has gone into everything else, it lets the place down ever so slightly (maybe a shaded area and some cushioned daybeds would have been nice).

Saida the maid (and Aduls wife) made us gorgeous breakfasts every morning with freshly squeezed orange juice, lovely coffee and fresh bread with homemade jams etc

This place would be perfect for a large group of friends to stay together but at the same time having the privacy of individual apartments. It would be a great place for a party, or for New Year Eve for example, and the communal areas would be perfect to socialise and eat together.

In all, It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed! I hope that I get to stay there again some day and at £47 a night for our room an absolute bargain.

Room Tip: each room is different, so worth looking at any photos of the riad to see which you would prefer.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple