“Has potential, but not great in off season”

Hotel Ryad Mogador Essaouira
Ranked #68 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
Austin, Texas
“Has potential, but not great in off season”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

The Ryad Mogador in Essaouira is, as other reviewers have mentioned, not in the idea location for exploring one of the more beautiful locations on the Moroccan coast - the "ocean view" is more of an "if you stand on your tiptoes in the parking lot you can kind of see it." You can be on the ocean in minutes, but when we were there (March 2012), they were taking advantage of the low season to rebuild the (unlit) road in front of the hotel. They're building a Label Vie supermarket just up the street a little, which would be a great amenity to have in future.

I think we may have been the only guests in the place. The rooms were perfectly decent and clean (the bathroom was almost unnecessarily large), and the pool was lovely to look at, although it was too cool to use. Breakfast was perfectly passable, but dinner was ... interesting. I'm not sure what kind of cuisine it was supposed to be, but ... well, we all ate it and no one got sick. Most surprisingly, this was the only hotel in Morocco I've visited that was dry -- no beer or wine to be had.

The staff were quite willing to help, but we did have a language barrier--most of them spoke very little English (fortunately, I speak Arabic, but some of my travel companions struggled a bit). I'd love to come back to Essaouira in the high season to see what all the fuss is about, but don't know that I'll be rushing back to the Ryad Mogador.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the pool. Rooms on the second floor are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Khowaga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
NZ
Reviewed February 2, 2012

As a place to lay your head at night, go for a swim in the pool, or generally relax this is good, however the location is difficult and in my opinion you don't get "bang for your buck" There are no views of the sea, or the township. Because of the location the pool is the focus point. At the moment (Jan 2012) the infrastructure replacement taking place makes it a hazardous walk to the coastal walkway or a taxi is required.

The rooms are pleasant and things work, and the main reception area lush and quite traditional.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Chester, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2011

#1. Location sucks. Essarouria is perhaps the most beautiful small coastal town in Morocco and there is no where in this place where you can see it. NADA. .If you want an American style hotel where you could as easily be in Scottsdale as a small town in Morocco, stay at this hotel.

#2. Amenities suck. Birds flying in the restaurant are cute. Birds eating the bread and the cheese and standing on the food are not. Pool is freezing (do they pipe cold water in?). Bugs in room. Plumbing screams whenever anyone has a shower. Internet works only within 20 feet of reception.

#3. Spa is a waste of money. I have bad marks on my back from the Hamman treatment yesterday. Like taking a brillo pad to my skin. She left the door open to the hallway when I was having my massage which left me a) cold and b) exposed to anyone (men) walking down it.

Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ohdoggy

Travelers are raving about these Essaouira hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Stayed in 3 separate hotels on our trip pre March 2010.
This wasn't a patch on the others.
Rooms were comfortable.
Staff seems disinterested although we made an allowance for Ramadan.
Not fantastic food so although we were half-board, we ate out!
Good pool.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Rabat
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I've been to Ryad Mogador Essaouira in October 2010 with my sister, it was outstanding!! 1st, it is located in 2 km from the center so that we were near the beach ( 20 km far from Sidi Kawki Beach, a wonderful place where you can play surf or just enjoy the moment).
The hotel is quiet with a good service, when we were out for the night, we used to come back at 2:00 or 3:00, the door was closed and we needed to knock and wait a moment; But it was really good. The materials in the room were noble, wood, copper, the swimming pool was clean and there were always transat available, no problem. Once I went to the restaurant for breakfast and it was off, they gave eventhough my breakfast even if I was late, So nice!!! The room was OK. All in all it was fantastic, I really enjoyed my stay there. One more thing, the clients of the hotel were very interesting, no old boring people, there were many nationalities, spanish, germa, and moroccan, it was great!!

• Stayed October 2010
Suffolk England
Reviewed January 14, 2011

As this is the first time I have been on this site i ust say I am quite surprised at the negative comments about the ryad mogador Essaouira. Perhaps I should have checked it out before i made my booking but then again I probably would not have booked it! In contrast to some of the reviews i found this riad to be well run and efficient, I can understand that they may not encourage a drinking culture but hey if I wanted that I’d go somewhere else. I found the staff to be polite and courteous and although a little understaffed it did not detract from our enjoyment. For a relaxing break in a beautiful part of Morocco this riad really dots the i’s and crosses the t’s. We booked through luxury-riads.com which was the cheapest price we saw anywhere for theb same accommodation and the firm also arranged the airport transfer for us which was handy. I would recommend this riad to young party goers but I would have no hesitation in suggesting it as a n option for older people and young families. All in all very good value.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Okay, all foreigners are not Satan for wanting to enjoy a nice cold refreshing alcoholic beverage poolside. As an American living in Morocco for the past year and a half, I’ve never felt so shamed by a lack of cross-cultural tolerance.
I live in a small village in morocco where I abide by all the cultural standards, dressing conservatively and being respectful of the culture and religion. When I go to Essaouira this is a vacation spot, not only a vacation spot but I think one of Morocco’s most beautiful destinations.
Having a cold beer/cocktail poolside was one desire shared by my girlfriends and me. NOT AT RIAD MOGADOR!!! As the higher than thou man behind the bar shouted at my friend. “In your room!! In your room!!” My friend hustled her cold beverages back to the room.
Like I mentioned I’ve been in Morocco for over a year and I’ve managed to learn one of the ancient Berber dialects and pick up some Moroccan Arabic for when I travel. Is learning how to say “hello” so difficult? Okay fine I’ll even except a nice friendly, “Bonjour” NO ONE at reception could even manage to great us when walking through or entering the hotel.
We learned half way into our trip (because I finally asked) how much we should be paying for the local petit taxis (the day price 6 durham and 7 dhs for night rates), we were getting ripped off every night! It would have been very helpful to get this correct information from our hotel at the beginning of our stay. Since Riad Mogador is located as far away from the center of town as possible. It was even more appreciated (insert thick thick sarcasm here) when we learned that for the hotel to call a taxi for us to go the small distance to the buss station we will have to pay 20 durhams for the taxi because they called. Ridiculous!
I’ve done a fair bit of traveling and I’m very aware that Americans, generally speaking of course do have high standards when it comes to service, in service industry, hotels, restaurants, etc. I’ve been here long enough that my standard has gone down significantly but simple little courtesies are still nice.
The included breakfast was terrible not to mention a mad house, food not that great but it’s even more difficult to try the terrible food when there are no plates, cups, silverware, etc. The poor restaurant staff were trying to keep up but they were understaffed.
The room was nice (by Moroccan standard). So it needed a paint job and the bathroom was probably infested with black mold but NO bed bugs!
My really only one positive thing to say…the cleaning staff was amazing, our rooms were cleaned daily (not very ‘green’ yes I know but our one luxury…) and one day I forgot my wallet out on the table and one little Moroccan lady could have been a very happy women, but nothing was touched and they were very friendly. Maybe the cleaning ladies could do a little training with the front desk staff.
Riad Mogador is a conservative Islamic families ideal destination. We were woken up with all the fun the children were having in the pool every morning, so if you’re Moroccan with children and don’t want to see a beer bottle by the pool this very well may be your most favorite hotel. Please say hi to my favorite Barista at the bar, you’ll know the one, he’s probably still crying from having to open a fanta for us…cause he knew we were mixing it with VODKA!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends