“Location, Location, Location”
Review of Maison du Sud

Maison du Sud
Ranked #24 of 178 Essaouira B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 6, 2012

A friend and I recently spent two nights here. The location can't be beat! Right in the Medina (and the medina is very easy to navigate). The courtyards and common areas of the hotel and very beautifully decorated and interesting. Our room was on the second floor and had a nice sitting area, a full bed downstairs, a full bed upstairs and a small bathroom. The room was slightly moldy smelling. The bathroom also had some mildew in it. Breakfast was simpler than the other riads we had stayed in (just pastries, tea and jam) The staff was very nice. I do regret that we never made it to rooftop terrace. I image it had stunning views.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Maison du Sud

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed in the Maison du Sud for a week's photography holiday in Essaouria run by Darren Lewey of imagesinthesun.com. A very good course and highly recommended. The riad is in the centre of the Medina, with no cars allowed in the Medina itself.

We arrived late in the evening and we met by very friendly staff. Maison du Sud is very different and very welcoming. Go for Room 13 on the Terrace, which is very light and airy. Good room to have but, as there is a mosque nearby, everyone is woken up at 5.30 a.m. by the call to prayer. Take some earplugs! Also, you have to climb 69 steps to get up to the Terrace!

However, a very enjoyable week at Maison du Sud. The staff were very friendly and service good. Mainly French was spoken, with little English Breakfast each morning was exactly the same - orange juice, coffee and pastries - a change after a week might have been an idea.

All in all, a very good week experiencing the sights, smells and atmosphere of Essaouria.

Room Tip: If you are fit and able to climb the 69 steps to the Terrace, go for Room 13 which is directly on th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a beautuful riad right in the center of essaouira medina. Its beautiful with loads of nooks and crannies and archways and little courtyards. we had a family room which was very spacious, twin beds one end, sofas the other end and a mezzanin floor with a double bed on. The only complaint was the room smelt very damp and fusty and the tiles in the shower were desperate for a scrub as they were stained with black mould. we were on the tail end of a huge storm which had caused major flooding in the area we had come from and perhaps this made the smell worse although there were no windows to the outside only windows leading on to the courtyard which has had glass put over the top to stop the rain and allow the use as seating below (this would normally be open in a traditonal riad)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank antheaskyblue
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My room was not one of the split level rooms. It was on the first floor and rather dark (admittedly due to the closed shutters).
It directly overlooked the street below so it was rather noisy. That said the room had a certain charm and i would stay here for a night or two....maybe not if I intended a longer stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying in this lovely Riad in atmospheric Essaouira. It's location is perfect; step outside into the hustle and bustle of the Souk, step inside for an oasis of calm.
The delightful staff were both helpful and friendly. Unfortunately I was sick for a couple of days, and a member of staff took me to the pharmacy to assist in buying medication and generally ensured that I was looked after - invaluable when you're travelling solo.
My room, located on the roof terrace was spacious, comfortable, spotlessly clean and very quiet, I had no problems whatsoever in sleeping.
There is a good wifi signal in the restaurant, none in the bedrooms.
Breakfast was basic and the same every morning : crepes, croissants, baguette, jam, butter, orange juice and choice of coffee or mint tea. It could have been so much better if varied a little and with the addition of fruit. However, when I asked if it was possible to have some fruit , I was given some. Likewise, when I was unwell I requested natural yogurt, which I was given.

I was staying at this Riad for a week long photography and Moroccan cooking course hosted by Darren Lewey and his wife Naima. Darren was an excellent, patient tutor who showed me the hidden delights of Essaouira which I would never have found otherwise. The delightful Naima is a passionate and enthusiastic cook who made preparing Moroccan food both interesting and fun. I highly recommend this course.

Room Tip: Roof top rooms are quieter, but be aware of the number of stairs to climb!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Denise H
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed at Maison Du Sud as part of a weeklong photography vacation taught by Darren Lewey. It was truly an amazing week. I found the Riad clean, comfortable, safe and centrally located. The staff was very hospitable and accommodating. As some reviewers have mentioned, the rooms overlooking the street can be noisy at night, as one student in our group discovered. She was quickly offered an internal room – no problem. And Darren proved to be a great photographer and tour guide and infinitely patient teacher. He introduced us to unique places we wouldn’t have discovered on our own and helped us memorialize them in beautiful photographs. I highly recommend the experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kristin N
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is a beautiful and charming riad right in the middle of atmospheric Essaouira. The staff are friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good. The shops and restaurants are right outside the front door and the Barbour is a 5 minutes walk away. The rooms are comfortable and spacious and there is a lovely roof terrace where you can enjoy a drink in the evening. We stayed there for 2 nights this year in May and also went on a day trip to Sidi Kaouki, which I have reviewed separately. I have been to Essaouria before and always enjoy going back. First class!

Room Tip: The rooms facing to the street may a bit noisy at night. We had our room to the back and it was very...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends