“A fantastic holiday in a great Riad”
Review of Maison du Sud

Maison du Sud
Ranked #23 of 180 Essaouira B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I signed up for a photography holiday with Darren Lewey and the accomodation was in this gorgeous Riad. Located in the heart of the medina and close to the port, it is in an ideal location and the staff are attentive and kind. I had a lovely rooftop terrace room which was spacious and cleaned every day. The photography course was one of the best things I have ever done. Darren is a great teacher and somehow managed to get me taking the photographs that I had always dreamed of taking but never thought I could! The town is beautiful, so relaxed and the people generous and open. I would recommend the Riad for a holiday, the photography course for anyone wishing to progress with digital photography and Essaouira itself for a releaxing break away from the rush of Marrakesh!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed July 23, 2011

Perfectly located in the old walled city, Maison de Sud has lots of nooks to explore plus a roof terrace. My room had a loft where the bed was, and was warm enough , even in January.
The bath was a bit dark and moldy, but hey, this is right at the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, and moldy wood and stone are part of Essaouira´s charm. The blue and green painted doors are just gorgeous throughout the medina.
Maison has blue Mediterranean type shutters which are easy to spot when you arrive.

The front desk staff was quite informative, even down to some details about special cotton curtains they have in the rooms.
The breakfast is upscale continental, strong flavorful cafe au lait, and the restaurant has a menu of the evening for a good price that proved to be delicious, candles everywhere around low tables and sofas for reclining, making this a favorite romantic evening meeting place fit for any caliph.

Room Tip: Just ask if your room could be improved upon; there are 3 floors and the roof terrace.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mexdoc
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I booked this riad after reading reviews on Trip advisor and was very pleased with my decision. The riad is bang in the middle of the souk, about 5 mins walk to the beach. It is beautifully decorated and rooms are very large. Some rooms face the street and can be quite noisy during the night so avoid if your a light sleeper. The breakfast is delicious with something new each day. Staff are friendly and helpful willing to provide information and tips. The shower in our bathroom was broken and was replaced within 10-15 mins of reporting to reception. A porter was also sent to collect us from the Supratour bus station as we were unsure of the location.

Overall, this is a very good riad with fantastic service and a lot cheaper than some of the other riads of similiar standards. Free wifi connection is also available. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Fuz27
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We stayed here two nights in May and enjoyed our stay very much. The riad is in the heart of Essaouira and very convenient to all the city has to offer. It is an easy walk to all of the major sights.

The riad was very nice and clean and the staff was very helpful. I asked them to make one dinner reservation for us, which they promptly did, which was a help.

Our room was reasonably spacious and actually had a sitting room area which was a plus. The view from the roof was quite nice and afforded a very nice view across Essaouira.

We enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I signed up for a photography holiday - one week long - staying in Maison du Sud and being tutored by Darren Lewey

I have had a good camera for years, but while I understood how to use it, my pictures were unremittingly dull. Darren has managed to combine the fun and relaxation of a holiday with a complete course in all the elements of the photography. We have toured the Moroccan countryside, visited souks, stood atop waterfalls, and walked the ramparts of fortified towns. Often we were the only Europeans in sight. From the technical to the artistic, we have covered everything, and have done so at my pace (thanks Darren). I left the holiday feeling that, at last, I could compose an image which would not embarrass my camera. While the accommodation was superb, the food great, and the town lovely the real highlight was that this course did what it said on the tin – I left a much better photographer than I was when I arrived.

The photography course is on http://www.imagesinthesun.com/

Craig May 2011

Room Tip: Do go outside the Medina into the area beyond the.
Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank UAETravellers067
Reviewed May 30, 2011

very nice, characterful hotel, some bedrooms a little dark but spacious, we asked to be moved and with no hestitation we were offered a lovley bedroom, lounge and bathroom on the roof terrace. Extremly helpful and friendly reception staff who made our trip , it was a good location altough essouria is only small, it felt very safe and was spacious comunal areas. My only comment would be there was no bathroom soaps etc - shampoo or shower gel, and I would have prefered another option at breakfast other than the very carb pancakes and bread.

Room Tip: ask for a room that isnt too dark.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Excellent location and very comfortable accommodation. The furnishings are stylish, staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was plentiful. We loved the cool and tranquil interior but also made use of the sunny roof terrace. A great place.

Room Tip: Have change ready for the luggage porter.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends