“Meh”

Ranked #37 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
London, United Kingdom
“Meh”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This place is ok, standard, adequate. The only reason I stayed here is because I was a solo traveller and wanted to taken advantage of the lower cost single rooms. But if I had my time again I would find a friend, split the cost and stay somewhere much nicer.

The rooms are ok, kind of small, look like they do in the photos. The breakfast is standard, the roof terrace is ok. I had a room on the roof terrace with a little table outside of it but I never got to use it as the other guests kept sitting out there. (not sure why given there was about 8 other tables to choose from!) Breakfast times were quite annoying as the other guest kept moving the table directly in front of my door to catch the sun which meant had to interrupt people's breakfast and make them move the table to get in and out of my room. Although this hotel can't be responsible for other people's stupidity they could have moved this table to somewhere else on the terrace that was more appropriate for everyone.

The room security could be improved, the door can only lock with a padlock or a flimsy bolt whilst inside and felt like it could have easily been broken into with any kind of force. There is no backage hold and if you want to leave bags there for the day you have to leave them in reception which is not always staffed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have just completed a 1700 mile tour round Morocco in a 4WD and this hotel was easily the best stay of our trip. The welcome is warm, the decor is tasteful and the rates are reasonable. Some people may find the rooms a little small but if you want en-suite facilities it will take up some space. This is the only hotel we stayed in that managed to hit every single criteria in the bathroom - hot water, toilet paper, soap, and towels all present and cleaned daily. The beds were comfy and the bed linen was clean, the breakfast was extensive and catered to individual needs and the roof terrace was very pleasant. If you want a great hotel inside the medina, look no further!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This Riad was at the outer edges of the Medina and was on a street that had low foot traffic and felt a bit scary at night. The price was quite low but I was expecting something nicer based on the photos posted here. In reality, it is very dim, dank and my room was incredibly small and felt dirty. The door felt like a closet door and I was concerned about the safety of my belongings. I would have paid a bit more for something a bit more comfortable. I did not look forward to coming back to the room at night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I loved this riad! Great location and easy to find! Room are good size and clean! Breakfast was fresh and great to eat up on the terrace! Staff were friendly and helpful.

I didnt expect such great quality for the price! Would 100% recommend!

• Stayed May 2012
Memphis
Reviewed April 10, 2012

My husband and I just came back from Morocco and although he has been here before, it was my first experience in a real medina. We arrived in Essaouira close to midnight, hungry and tired. The man who greeted us, Brahim gave us some local currency (we did not have the time to exchange) so that my husband could get some food.
The hotel was nice and quaint and the staff was super nice and patient with my broken french :) Everyone was helpful for information about renting a car, local eateries, and merchandise. I suppose I enjoyed my stay here because I felt like I was staying in someone's home. It was nice and quiet during the night and the medina is enjoyable during the day. Although a couple of the rooms were small, they are clean, and well decorated with paintings and local art.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2011

We stayed 3 nights in Sept 2011 and had a pretty good experience ; rooms are nice and well decorated also a little small ; the pictures on the website might be misleading , some parts of the hotel are a bit tired - breakfast on the roof top is enjoyable ; staff is friendly and gives good advise ....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Burnley
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This is a great little hotel/riad near the south east walls of the Medina. Only a few minutes walk from the Supratours bus depot and a 5 minute walk to the souks and to the beach where there are plenty of cafes/resturants to suit every budget.
Our room was situated on the roof terrace, and although small (particuarlly the bathroom) it was perfectly adequate. The breakfast of bread, jam and croissants were huge and one was plenty for 2 persons.
My only complaint was that the local children all seemed to congregate under my bedroom window to play football at the end of fast (as it was Ramadam) and we were kept awake til 2-3am every night by thier noise.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple