All reviews orson welles poolside room no air con pool side public areas no elevator room was large ocean view fish market othello bab tiles tortoises
Selected filters
Reviewed September 21, 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I visited this hotel for a week on half board basis. I'll be honest up front, we got a bit of a steal and this review would have been more scathing had it not been for the price we paid.

The best thing about this place is the staff, they are all very friendly, polite and eager to please, they're basically doing all they can with what they're given.

Unfortunately what they're given could use a few hundred thousand pounds of investment.
We didn't notice and sort of went with what we had, we're easy to please, but the place needs painting throughout. The soft furnishings need replacement, and some new linen would really perk the place up.

The food was good, but a little repetitive, I also got the impression that they were toning down a lot of the flavours as nothing really had much of a kick or strong taste to it. The lack of variety on breakfast meant you'd really notice when something wasn't on that day, but in fairness if you asked the staff would soon arrive with a fresh batch of your request.

Showers were brilliant, always hot and plenty of water, cleaning team always returned our room to a clean and tidy state after we'd trudged our sandy selfs through it.

If you're going for kiteboarding please don't be fooled like we were, you can't do it from outside the hotel, it's so gusty we actually nearly got in a nasty mess on the first day, and moved to the far end of the beach. It's probably only a 20 minute walk, but with all your gear and into the wind in the faces on the way back it's not as close as we were led to believe.

Our room was pretty basic, but opened up on to the pool which was nice.

We didn't pay much and were pretty happy because of the effort the staff put in. But the owners would benefit from sticking bit of paint about and investing in some new soft pieces.

Have a joke with Hussain in the restaurant whilst you're there, he really makes meal times a laugh.

Would I go back? If it was cheap enough...

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2017

The office manager Hassan was very accommodating as he Immediately changed a room which we were dissatisfied with and gave us another room which we were satisfied with. No problems no fuss. Great members of staff such as Mustafa who looks after the pool and is cleaning it early in the morning and is always helping guests with sunbeds and genuinely tries to please all guests requests around the pool . Mustafa cares for the pool and the gardens around it and that's why it is such a great place to rest . The cleaners work hard everyday and will make sure the room is cleaned and tidied evryday , Fawziyya is so good that she even cleaned the cups for my tea in my room , fantastic and hard-working . I would suggest that the hotel invests in air conditioning and provide fans in the rooms . However sitting on the porch near the pool is very nice as the natural cooling wind gently flows in and when it's a hot day it's very nice relaxing on the sunbeds with the umbrella providing shades. Kids have so much fun in the pool and it never gets too crowded . Essauria is a place which grows on you so that you will enjoy the friendly nature and this hotel is just outside the walls of the old city and the entrance to the old city through Bab sbaa is just one minute walk from hotel and the beach is 30 seconds away where you can rent a sunbed and relax all day listening to the waves and seeing all people enjoying themselves , lots of vendors selling ice cream, drinks ,popcorn, candy floss, corn on the cob etc .there is a lot of history in essauria and I think hotel Des iles is also part of the history , due to it being old and due to new 5 star hotels being built in essauria , hotel Des iles may get bad reviews but I never had any problems with staff except for the girl on reception who was very rude to me when I said that I didn't have any towels and I said " I haven't seen a hotel like this " she replied " now you see it" which shows she doesn't apply hospitality training codes or customer service skills which she needs to as each person is an ambassador to the hotel . As I said before , Hassan is impeccable and a very good ambassador for the hotel . If you want a five star hotel then probably you may be disappointed here but if you want somewhere to stay so you can investigate and learn about essauria and it's people whilst relaxing then hotel Des iles will be good place for you to stay . My suggestion to the hotel are a/c in rooms, fans in room, update the TV's so more channels available, make sure shower heads are good , change keys so it's not on big wooden holders, and get a good maintenance team in to fix everything bit by bit .

Room tip: Bungalows have porches with sunbed
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank neesackey
Reviewed June 25, 2017

This was the 5th or 6th time I have visited this wonderful old hotel situated just across the road from the beach , Check in was painless and for the first time was allocated a room on the other side of the pool , The room was large comfortable and very clean with a nice little terrace. The staff at this hotel are so welcoming and helpful . Breakfast was adequate and certainly filled me up . I look forward to my next stay .

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank MatthewVH
OUAZZANI-Abdenour, Responsable commercial at Hotel Des Iles, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2017

We appreciate the time you have spent sharing your appreciation about your recent stay at our hotel, we strive to exceed the expectations of our customers, our staff has been repeatedly emphasized for their professionalism and genuine kindness and we assure you that your standpoint is really terrific and our clients passed an enormous time, so hope that you make another visit to leam about all and we will be happy to serve you. another thing is that we are trying to do our best to make our guests feel confortable during their visit. Once again thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay and hope to see you again and to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations on the next occasion and be sure that you are welcome anytime. best regards

Reviewed June 13, 2017

Built in 1947, Hotel des Isles was no doubt grand and refined in its heyday, being the first western-style hotel in Essaouira. It is superbly located just outside the medina walls on the corniche, with ample, convenient and free parking. It’s an elegant building, in neo-colonial style, with a simple and pleasing layout. Staff are generally friendly and helpful. I stayed, just for one night, in a standard room; suites and bungalows by the pool are also available. The pool-side bar was open, although I didn’t try it; the upstairs bar (which looked quite sophisticated) was closed during Ramadan.
Pros:
• Extremely comfortable bed and bedding
• Bath, and good water pressure
• Free wifi
• Easy parking and easy access (quite different from staying inside the medina)
• Quiet (my room was facing the corniche and beach, but there was no intrusive noise)
• Calm atmosphere
• Friendly staff
Cons:
• Past its heyday
• Extremely thin curtains
• Some cheap fittings (toilet seat in particular)
• Riad-style breakfast
• Stairs, no lift (elevator)

I won’t return, because for me two of the cons outweigh the pros. First, the curtains: it gets light in Essaouira shortly after 5:30 (during Ramadan in June, 6:30 otherwise), and so did my room – bright enough to read in. Second, breakfast: bread basket (baguette, Moroccan-style loaf, poor croissant and pain au chocolat, a Danish), a freshly-cooked M’smmen, butter, honey, pot of fruit yoghurt, a cold hard-boiled egg, small plate of cheese & olives, coffee (or tea). Carb-heavy and boring, although the M’smmen was good – no fresh fruit, no choice of eggs, no veg (apart from olives), cheapest pot yoghurt available, waiter sat in the corner watching TV on his phone loud enough to be audible…

In terms of comparison, it was probably 100-150 Dirhams more than an average riad. Possibly worth the difference for the ease of access, parking and location, but not for me. However, usually for about 100 Dirhams more the Atlas Spa is available, which has all of the above pros and none of the cons (and is nudging towards a true 5*), and so for me it’s an easy choice (the Atlas breakfast alone is worth the extra 100 Dirhams to me, although it’s not a match for the one at the Sofitel at 230 Dirhams).

Also important that the hotel is over two floors, and there’s no lift – and the dining room’s on the upper floor. I understand you can have breakfast in your room if you’re in a suite or a bungalow, but otherwise if you can’t handle stairs then it’s a no-go.

If the cons don’t worry you then you’ll enjoy your stay.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
OUAZZANI-Abdenour, Responsable commercial at Hotel Des Iles, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2017

We appreciate the time you have spent sharing your appreciation about your recent stay at our hotel and we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay, concerning your standpoint about the experience with us .we strive to exceed the expectations of our customers and your comments will assist us in this process. We have taken note of your comments on our buffets and sincerely regret not having lived up to your expectations on this occasion, although I would like to take the opportunity to explain to you that our Executive Heads follow a rotation Of 15-day menus, guaranteeing a wide variety of local and international dishes to meet all the food requirements and satisfy all the customers, which is why we are sorry to read that we did not conquer the your and we will not fail to convey your remarks to our team. in the other hand, It is with particular concern that we read your comment about our staff as their service has been repeatedly emphasized for their professionalism and genuine kindness and we assure you that your description is not usual for us. also i don't think that our hotel is like what you have mentioned in the negativities in your description because our clients passed an enormous time in our hotel also i don't think that you are talking about it couse our clients precisely didn't mention all this stuff or you are a competitor , hope that you make another visit to leam about all the services it will be really a great pleasure and we will be delighted to serve you. we hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations at a future visit. best regards

Reviewed May 14, 2017 via mobile

Just got back from another great stay at Hotel Des Iles.
Always feels like coming home when we arrive, the staff are always so welcoming.
If you want a reasonably priced, clean & friendly hotel right opposite the beach & just steps away from the medina then please give this lovely historic hotel a try.
So much history, charm & character. I cannot praise the staff enough for always making our stay enjoyable & memorable.
Do pop upstairs to the Orson Welles Bar to see photos & memorabilia from the time the great man stayed here.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
OUAZZANI-Abdenour, Responsable commercial at Hotel Des Iles, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2017

thank you so much for this terrific comment and we appreciate the time you spent sharing it also about your stay at our hotel. we are trying to do our best to fix any problem that our clients can face it . Once again thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay and hope to see you again and to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations on the next occasion