“Fabulous retreat”

Ranked #17 of 174 Essaouira B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous retreat”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights at Dar Liouba just before Christmas, and the thought of the place still makes me smile a few weeks later, back at my desk at work. It's a beautiful house, tranquil and full of light, run by friendly and accomodating people. We stayed in the Lavande room on the top floor, with expansive views over the Essaouira medina, and a lovely, deep bathtub. We especially appreciated the effort Patricia and her team went to in organising a special dinner on Christmas Eve, complete with a yule log and little gifts.

Essaouira itself is a great town - arty without too much pretension, with a relaxed beachside vibe. A great spot for a romantic break spent drifting up and down beaches and in and out of souks and cobbled alleyways in the old town.

Room Tip: The Lavande room is especially lovely, although the whole house is beautifully decorated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I spent two nights at Dar Liouba in early October, 2011. It's a classic "riad" on a tiny alley in the old medina.The French owners and their staff are warm and hospitable. In addition to a nice stay I had a pleasant and tasty meal there with several other guests, but be sure to reserve in advance if you want to eat in.

Arrival was a novelty since this was my first visit to Morocco. My car pulled up at the city gate and my driver explained that I should hire a boy with a cart to lug my big suitcase since no vehicles are allowed within the medina. I had been told to pay no more than 10 dirham (about a euro). The boy initially wanted more, but eventually agreed to accept 10, although he kept arguing for more during the trip of just a few minutes. The warm greeting at Dar Liouba was much appreciated! After subsequently getting lost in Marrakech, Fez and Meknès I realized that Essaouira's medina is relatively small and easy to get around in, but on my first day I found it labyrinthine and disorienting.

Room Tip: I stayed in Ciel (sky) on the top floor. It was bright and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

A friend and I stayed at Dar Liouba for 5 nights, including Christmas Eve. We were given a friendly and efficient welcome, and Patricia went to much trouble on our behalf - it was really service above and beyond our expectations. Patricia and Fatima were very organised and helpful. Yousef cooked us a beautiful dinner on our first evening, as well as a wonderful Christmas Eve meal, which we shared with other guests, making a very memorable evening. Being in a lovely historic building, with a cosy fire blazing and our tagine cooking in the fireplace, what more could you ask for? Certainly would stay again, but I would save up and book the lavender or the blue rooms next time!

Room Tip: Pourpre and Piment are smaller rooms, and don't have external windows, so if you would like more...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kings Lynn
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Located near where the coach drops you off from Agadir or Marrackech. maybe about a 5 minute walk if that. We found it very easily with the directions sent from the hotel directly (even though we booked through a hotel booking site).

When we arrived we were greeting by Fatima who was very friendly and gave us all the information we needed about the hotel and the Essaouira marking places we should see and places to dine on a map. We were even given complimentary mint tea and biscuits.

The decor of the hotel is magical, it's spacious but it's tall and thin so two rooms on each floor.
The hotel was very clean, the roof terrace (where you can choose to have breakfast) gets optimum sun and is furnished expertly with sun loungers (very comfortable) and sofas (shaded). You also get a very good view from here.

The room was again clean, it smelt fresh as did the covers. The bathroom was also clean and spacious.

The breakfast was continental and consisted of bread, an assortment of jams, tea and coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice, strawberrys and rice pudding. It was served as if it was afternoon tea in the ritz, it felt very relaxing.

We were only there one night but wished we could stay more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Such a beautiful building . Very peaceful .delightful staff who were very helpful . Wish we could have stayed longer. Very clean . A tranquil haven . In an excellent location in the medina with a great roof terrace and lovely breakfasts. We really enjoyed our stay and felt very welcome and at home .

• Stayed November 2012
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was my second time at Dar Lioba and I will definitely be returning. Patricia and Fatima Zahra are so friendly and helpful. The Riad is charming, clean and quiet. Rooms are all done out so beautifully, each one different. Terrace and lounge are both great for relaxing and with a location right in the middle of the medina you can't ask for much more! Look forward to my next visit :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Lovely riad with excellent friendly service. Delightful rooms which are light, airy, spacious and clean. Good breakfast. I recommend that you follow their recommendations for where to eat as they were all on the money. Would happily recommend this riad for an authentic (but very civilised!) taste of Morroco.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple