“Nothing more than average in any respect”
Review of Fanatic

Fanatic
Ranked #137 of 285 Restaurants in Essaouira
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This restaurant located outside the medina on the beach has been recommended by tourists as having delicious seafood and Moroccan tagines. We had excellent and very fresh grilled shrimp as well as great fried calamari.Theme: LocalPrice: 50 + Dh, less than US$15It is right on the beach, and it was lovely dining outside under umbrellas.Directions: Near the Hotel des Iles, near the beach.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We took a day trip from Marrakech to Essaouira and after a look around the old fort and town itself, our driver recommended Fanatic. We explained budget was not an issue and we wanted the best quality food available. We were welcomed promptly and shown to an alfresco table on the waterside deck over looking the inlet. It was a warm sunny day and the seating was pleasant. We ordered breads, salads and seafood from the menu along with accompanying local wines by the glass. Moroccan wines were a real surprise of the trip of this trip and the French influence has left a positive legacy in this regard with the coastal regional whites and reds from Meknez in the north very good.
The service was patchy and we repeatedly had trouble getting the attention of the waiters. We were seated and ready to order a long time ahead of bigger group that was shown to an extended table. Two staff faffed around with that group, taking their large aperitif order and the meals order ahead of us. Eventually we ordered and waited an unreasonbaly long period for our meals. We were on vacation and not in any hurry just relaxing enjoying the coastal breeze and sea-air, however we had long finished our wines and water before the meals arrived. Some venues need to learn not everyone is going to drink to excess at lunchtime - in our case as we had a long drive back to Marrakech. When the meals eventually arrived, the fish greasy, there was dressing on the salads which we had expressly ordered on the side and it contained raw onion which we also expressly said we did not want. So, slow service, poor attention and inability to follow basic order requests left un with an unimpressed opinion. Like all things in Morocco, the only good thing is it was cheap. Not that that matters. We like top quality and willing to pay for it. If our driver reckons this was the best in Essoaouira, he needs to look at TripAdvisor as I see Fanatic doesn't rate that highly and we have learned our lesson for the future.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Located on the beach front but far way from the old town. Beach is just over the walkway which is handy.
There is a private section of the beach associated with the restaurant but you have to pay about 50dhms to use it.

I ordered some grilled sole and my wife ordered a fish tagine.
Food was frankly awful. I had dried and over grilled bits of sole with little to no seasoning.
My wife had reheated and overlooked fish tagine.
It was a real pity as the fish actually was quite fresh, before being cooked.

We endured the food as we were hungry, I guess one saving grace is that we were not unwell afterwards.

Fish was tough and leathery due to either overcooking or reheating.

I happened to see the family next to us and they're food looked quite untouched as well.

Recommend you find a better place to eat.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Came here for lunch during a tour of Essaouira. Fresh fish and seafood, good service and cold beer. Lots of choice. It was a real pleasure to sit outside on the terrace and to watch the ocean, very laid back .Informal and relaxing.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Nice place right in front of the beach, the food is overwhelming compare to other great experience in Morocco but it was ok.
I guess the best is that you have the fresh breeze from the ocean and you can have a relaxing, lay back meal and enjoy the scenery.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We arrived had a nice seat outside looking at the beach. The waiter brought over a tray of fish for you to choose from. He stated smaller ones were 600 DH and the larger ones 700 DH, which makes no sense to me because most fish were 115 to 135 DH.
When he brought us our plates in looked 10 smaller that what he had offered, when I questioned him, he brought me the bones of a fish and told me it was mine. I said really you are bringing the bones!!!!! How am I to tell what fish that is! I would suggest if the restaurant is going to offer they should cook the entire fish and then filet the fish in front of you that way there in no confusion. They did adjust the price of our meal, which was the right thing to do, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

1  Thank Elizabeth S