“Photo Delights”

Images in the Sun Tours
Ranked #19 of 66 Tours in Essaouira
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Day Tours from Essaouira every Wednesday & Sunday into the local countryside visiting a country market (souk). Both photography and cooking workshops available.
Reviewed January 14, 2015

One of the other reviews here put it really well and succinctly: "if you want to improve your photography in a fantastic location with a great teacher at a very reasonable cost, look no further". For me too, this says it all. Essaouira is an amazing and exotic location and one with so many images to feast the eye; Darren is a really excellent and generous teacher of photography, both on the technicalities of getting the best out of the camera and also on inspiring and stimulating creativity. Maison du Sud is a delightful choice for accommodation, full of colour and charming nooks and crannies, located right in the centre of the old Medina.

1  Thank msemdee
in 5 reviews
"exposure"

Reviewed November 14, 2014

Darren,

Thank you for a wonderful trip. While I have been on various other photographic tours, I had no idea what to expect in Morocco. This was by far the most exotic and unique place I've been. Not only was the scenery exciting and different, but the people we photographed were amazing. The experience of photographing people in their homes, eating with them, meeting their children, going to market with them and watching them work as we visited with them made this trip very special. I think that I understand the culture as more than just a tourist.
And, of course, the photographs of these experiences are a treasure. As this was a photographic tour, I need to say that you were an amazing instructor. You were able to take each of us from where we are photographically and help us to reach a higher level. Since our group was only three, we each received far more individual guidance than I have ever received before. But your hiking over the dunes back to the vehicle to get me a fresh battery was definitely beyond anything I expected! In a very relaxed and laid back atmosphere, I learned to
handle the light that is characteristic of this part of the world and so different from at home. And we seemed to arrive at each location just when the light was at its best.

The hotels we stayed at were wonderful. While they were traditionally Moroccan, they were all beautiful, charming and very well run. (And in addition to the Moroccan hospitality, they had all the modern amenities we could want!) The hotels added to my feeling of being in a different
place and the architecture reminded me of the history of Morocco--from the traditional tile work of the Riad to the French Auberge.

The food was terrific and Naima was a big help in deciphering the menus. Her little "cooking lesson" the last evening and her guidance in selecting spices in the market were a real highlight. I have prepared Tagines twice now. The first time just for us and the second I invited
friends to share. I had hoped to be able to share our photos with them also, but I am not finished reviewing them. However, they have offered to come back for the photos and another Moroccan dinner.

Willa
Virginia, USA

P.S I have plenty of good shots--but had to share this one. Ahmed took it. I'm not sure but I think I traded his two camels for my camera. We did have fun with him.

2  Thank Willa5514
Reviewed October 23, 2014

I have just spent an excellent 10 days in Morocco on Darren's photo tour in southern Morocco which runs from Marrakech. In company with his delightful wife Naima, Darren organised a very full itinerary of magnificent photogenic venues combined with very comfortable accommodation in a variety of small hotels and auberges.

Darren's patient assistance and coaching helped me to capture some of the best photos that I have taken and really helped me get so much more out of my Canon 70D. Between Darren and Naima, they organised some superb face-to-face location shoots of delightful Moroccan folks which added a whole extra dimension to in-country photo shoots.

The entire tour covered some 2000 kms (?) which were easily eaten up in the comfort of Darren's Land Cruiser - now complete with some very chunky new tyres!

A totally great experience that I wholeheartedly recommend to any photographer (or spouse) seeking an unusual and spectacularly beautiful location for furthering their photographic skills.

Reviewed October 21, 2014

If you want to improve your photography in a fantastic location with a great teacher at a very reasonable cost. look no further. You are located in a historic Riad in the heart of the Medina surrounded by photographic possibilities. Essaouira is much more laid back that usual tourist Morocco. Darren is an excellent teacher who provides pragmatic advice and useful non threatening feedback. The included nightly dinners include 3 courses of whatever you want from the menu. As well as taking better pictures from portraits throught to abstracts you also learn to make some sense of you work and develop themes. Optional cookery classes icluding shopping for ingredients in the market are another highlight.. 5* + Some images from the holiday are included below

1  Thank Charles A
See more reviews
Reviewed August 30, 2014

I have just got back from a week in Morocco on this course. I have attended a variety of day courses and meet ups in London, but the week with Darren was by far the most useful tuition I have ever had. There were some very challenging moments, but I think we all improved precisely BECAUSE we were taken out of our comfort zone. Darren gave us so much technical and creative guidance and I really felt that I knew what I was doing with my camera by the end of the week. The approach of a different focus each day made me look at things around me in a whole new light, and I can't wait to get out with my camera and put my skills to further use now I am home. The Riad we stayed in was great, and Darren organised a different restaurant for each night. He was a great source of information on Moroccan lifestyles, culture, food etc. We went to places and met people we would never have done on our own. He was great at organising additional activities such as Hammam and cooking classes. Essaouira is a lovely place too - it is very relaxed, very friendly, and wonderful for the summer as the strong breezes keep the temperature down. I stayed on for a few days at the end in a Riad down by the beach, and it is also a lovely place for sunbathing by the pool, trying kite surfing, camel rides etc. I really can't recommend this course enough. It was great to spend time with other enthusiasts and I think we all got a lot out of each other's feedback, as well as Darren's. I would love to go back to do another trip with him!