“A Moroccan dream in 8 days”

Images in the Sun Tours
Ranked #18 of 64 Tours in Essaouira
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Day Tours from Essaouira every Wednesday & Sunday into the local countryside visiting a country market (souk). Both photography and cooking workshops available.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I booked this particular 8-day photography and cookery course holiday as a treat for my 40th birthday. I've never booked a solo holiday before, so I was feeling trepidatious, however Darren and his wonderful wife Naima really made me feel at ease and in safe hands. I've always wanted to visit the richly colourful Morocco, and Essaouira is a beautiful introduction. I've been an amateur photographer for over 20 years, but Darren subtly challenged my mildly stubborn views and it feels great to be critiqued by a professional. My trip focussed on abstracts, portraits, and landscapes. Afterwards I couldn't help seeing everything in abstract which makes for great original travel photos! The 2 cookery sessions were lovely, though my trip coincided with Ramadan so I felt like I couldn't really 'tuck in' in front of those fasting. A good holiday always makes you feel like you want more. I want more and I want to return!

All reviews
"knowledge"
"photographed"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have just returned from an "Images in the Sun" 8 day family photography and cookery tour (Essaouira and the Atlas) with Darren and Naima, which I would highly recommend to anyone interested in expert photography tuition at all levels, Moroccan cookery and discovering Moroccan culture.

We visited some amazing locations (Essaouira Medina and port, Ait benhaddou, an oasis, the Atlas mountains, Dades valley...) and were privileged to meet and photograph several Moroccan families. Darren is an experienced, funny and patient teacher providing opportunities and tuition for different styles of photography (portrait, reportage, landscape, abstract, black and white...). We all improved throughout the week technically and also discovering our different styles which were interesting to compare in the reviews of our photographs.

The organisation of our tour and attention to detail was excellent. Each of the Hotel/Riads were carefully chosen by Darren and Naima for comfort, location and their warm welcome and the food was always great. It is well worth taking some time in Essaouira to learn Moroccan cookery with Naima who is an excellent cook - we loved the tour of the spice market to buy ingredients for the sweet tagine we made!

Thank you Darren and Naima for a wonderful and memorable week!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was the first time I've been to Morocco, and also my first time doing a photography class in a foreign country. And I have to say - I would do it again! The experience was perfect.

Darren is an insider, and knows very well how to adapt to different skill levels and interests of group members. He gives you enough freedom to explore subjects at your own speed, but enough guidance during your excursions to make sure you learn a lot and improve your skills.

Every day was packed with a different focus (portraits, reportage, landscape, abstract, ...), and
review sessions at the end where the group discussed each other's work. It's amazing, everybody worked in the same places, but the results were so different - I thoroughly enjoyed reviewing the photos made by others. Especially the area of photography (portraits and reportage) I was not so comfortable with I enjoyed a lot.

We booked a combined package - my wife had a cooking class with Darren's wife - so delicious results every day at lunch time were guaranteed! My wife had a great time as well!

We stayed in the Media in a wonderful historic Riad - be prepared to be woken at 5am by the Muezzin :) so either get ready for early morning shots in the old town or bring earplugs. :)

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I would highly recommend this activity especially to those who want to go beyond holiday snapping and experience Morocco with an insider. We got insights into various locations and Moroccan day-to-day life as well as had superb dining experiences every night. From a photography perspective I have learnt extra bits I hadn't paid attention to before and got exposure to a variety of styles used by the rest of the group. We stayed in an 18th century old Riad which had been basic but accommodating. Staff was super helpful and always very friendly. We were lucky to stay on the roof terrace with fab views - bring earplugs against the seagulls though.

1  Thank SK78_06