“Excellent way to hone your photography skills and enjoy a great week!”

Images in the Sun Tours
Ranked #21 of 54 Tours in Essaouira
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Day Tours from Essaouira every Wednesday & Sunday into the local countryside visiting a country market (souk). Both photography and cooking workshops available.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was the first time I've been to Morocco, and also my first time doing a photography class in a foreign country. And I have to say - I would do it again! The experience was perfect.

Darren is an insider, and knows very well how to adapt to different skill levels and interests of group members. He gives you enough freedom to explore subjects at your own speed, but enough guidance during your excursions to make sure you learn a lot and improve your skills.

Every day was packed with a different focus (portraits, reportage, landscape, abstract, ...), and
review sessions at the end where the group discussed each other's work. It's amazing, everybody worked in the same places, but the results were so different - I thoroughly enjoyed reviewing the photos made by others. Especially the area of photography (portraits and reportage) I was not so comfortable with I enjoyed a lot.

We booked a combined package - my wife had a cooking class with Darren's wife - so delicious results every day at lunch time were guaranteed! My wife had a great time as well!

We stayed in the Media in a wonderful historic Riad - be prepared to be woken at 5am by the Muezzin :) so either get ready for early morning shots in the old town or bring earplugs. :)

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I would highly recommend this activity especially to those who want to go beyond holiday snapping and experience Morocco with an insider. We got insights into various locations and Moroccan day-to-day life as well as had superb dining experiences every night. From a photography perspective I have learnt extra bits I hadn't paid attention to before and got exposure to a variety of styles used by the rest of the group. We stayed in an 18th century old Riad which had been basic but accommodating. Staff was super helpful and always very friendly. We were lucky to stay on the roof terrace with fab views - bring earplugs against the seagulls though.

1  Thank SK78_06
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A week with Darren in Essaouira is truly a week to remember. He knows a lot about photography and how to introduce the subject to photo novices. He showed us the most awsome locations - for shooting and for dining! For me it was a first in Africa - I will come back that's for sure! I can highly recommend the photo tour with darren, even if one is a little bit more advanced in photography.

Roland Vollmar, Kassel, Germany

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Having just bought my first dslr camera I wanted to learn how to use it on the settings and get away from auto...this was achieved very quickly with Darren's expert tuition.
It was a brilliant week we covered so much and I learnt a great deal not only from Darren but from others in the group and seeing their work in our reviews each day.
The locations that we went to were varied and offered lots of photo opportunities and experiences.
I noticed an improvement in my own work as the week went on which was very pleasing.
The group was mixed in age and ability and we all had great fun and lots of laughter too.
The food was excellent because Darren each evening would take us to a different local restaurant that was obviously tried and tested.
The hotel was described as luxurious which I would not quite agree with because the bathrooms were not good. The towels were once white but now were brown. On one occasion the towel was so worn and thin that when I used it it just ripped.
The patio furniture was wrecked but new furniture was delivered while we were there but was only unpacked for use as we were leaving.
The staff at the hotel were first class, everyone was so helpful and friendly.
Some of the rooms overlooked the street and could be noisy. Men seemed to congregate at the kebab stall and talked loudly sometimes until 2am or 4am on occasions which was not good.
Overall I would definitely recommend this holiday for the learning experience and for the enjoyment factor.
Darren is an excellent tutor and makes the holiday interesting and fun.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I spent a week with Darrin in Essaouira in lat March 2013. We were okay snap shooters but were keen to learn more about photography. On top of it, we were curious about Morroco. Images in the Sun was the perfect match for us. Darrin showed how to see the potential for a photograph while teaching us about the technical side of our cameras. We learned so much and gained confidence in our ability to taking interesting photographs. While we have a lot left to learn, we now can understand how our cameras work and are able to plan our shots intelligently while keeping our eyes our minds open for the potential before us. Couple all of this with the tremendous location of Essaouira - its narrow streets, its exotic feel, its dynamism, the harbour - and you have a recipe for a pretty special vacation experience. Darrin is a great host - patient, funny, an experienced teacher, an excellent photographer, a dedicated and congenial guide. We would not hesitate to recommend Darrin and his platform for others who want to combine travel with learning. A wonderful horizon expanding experience. Thanks Darrin!