“Booked two nights-stayed four”

Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed January 21, 2014

What better way to start the day than breakfast sitting under the palms by the swimming pool, away from the dust and bustle and traffic noise? It's a decent breakfast too, with lots of fresh fruit, pastries, pancakes and hot food if required.
The rooms are large and functional, the bed wide and comfortable, the shower hot and strong.
The staff are charming (apart from one or two on reception, though there was one consistently smiling and profesional lady at reception too) and you can even leave your car securely for free.
We occasionally ate in the beachside restaurant who do very good salads.
The hotel is well situated a short walk from the Medina and just opposite the beach.

For the off season rate that we paid, I felt that this hotel was a bargain.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
FREDERIQUE A, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear cliffordc,

Thank you for this enthusiastic comment,I appreciate that you take time to give us your feed back!

I will not hesitate to share it with the entire team.

I hope to receive you again with us.

Best Regards

There are newer reviews for Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Just staying one night, not enough time to see all facilities. The hotel was on good location, good ocean view and short walking distance to medina. Reception staffs were very friendly and well trained. Room was standard for a good 4-5 stars hotel. Breakfast was buffet with variety of choices. Dinner was excellent although it took so long to serve. From our experience with hotels in many cities in Morocco, this hotel was among the best.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Pairoj T ,

Thank you for your positif comment, i’m going to share it with the entire team of Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea and spa.

we will be pleased to see you again in Essaouira.

Best Regards

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed at the Medina hotel from 11 to 14 January , Very friendly staff and Beauty throughout all parts of the hotel , We have estimated the beautiful words and the net smiles from everyone who work there , we have also estimated to welcome us with fresh towels ( water orange flowers ) with cakes and tea ,It's nice to find the two pieces of chocolate every evening when we comback to room...simply it's the hotel that we was looking for and we will comback as soon is possible .

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
FREDERIQUE A, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Amine & Nela,

Thank you very much for your message,for your nice words.

We appreciate that you take time to give us your positive feed back!

I will transfer your compliments to my staff; it is the biggest reward for their daily effort and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the very near future!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The hotel and rooms were Ok but because we didn't spend any extra they felt the need to add 'room service' and 'Mogador CLUB soir' to our bill as we were in a rush to get away to the airport and told us it was for 'taxes de sejour'. On examination when we returned we discovered they had added to the bill. Disappointing in light of the cost of a 5* hotel! Also some of the rooms were incredibly noisy with drunken guests in the swimming pool at night and what sounded like staff moving furniture around in rooms nearby!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nobby,

First I would like to thank you for choosing Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa
-MGallery Collection-

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback,and I would like to express my sincerest apologies for that.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Very good hotel, nicely located just facing the ocean.
the staff is very polite, kind and helpful.
Rooms are spacious, clean and eqipped with everything necessary to spend good time in Essaouira.
Very good pool protected from the wind (the city is a surfers paradise so very windy).
Definetely a good choice!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
FREDERIQUE A, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear EugeneSH ,

Thank you so much for your comment an d for your nice words,I appreciate that you take time to give us your feed back!

I will not hesitate to share it with the entire team.

I hope to receive you another time in Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa -MGallery Collection-

Reviewed January 4, 2014

This facility is by far not a 5 Star Hotel and you can get much better service for less in Essouira

- my room wanst ready when I arrived so I had to wait one hour (4 pm)
- no information about hotel facilities and every time one tries to talk to the recptionist for some infomation they give you the feeling you are annoying them
- booked a superior double and got a twin bed (justification: we dont have double rooms anymore. no excuse or appologies: nothing)
- food is very expensive (compared to local prices) maximum mid-range (nothing special at all with a tendency to poor)
- waited for over one hour for a salad at the pool (after I asked for it and said I was waiting for one hour: no excuse or appologies)
- the lady in the spa ist disgracefull. There is no sauna here and u only can go to the hamman but are not allowed to scrub yourself (justification: otherwise nobody would book their services) I was going to book many other services but sorry if I dont like other people scrubbing me. So I end up not enjoying the wellness facilities at all.
- the fruits at breakfast look old but if you dont care about fruits than breakfast is ok. Waited over 20 Munites for Coffe

As I said, you can find much better value for money in Essaouira

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear lalalu,

Thank you very much indeed for having taken the time to write your opinion in Tripadvisor.

I' am feeling very sorry for the inconveniences caused in the hotel,I assure you that I will take

the appropriate actions to make sure that no other guests experience those types of regretful.

I hope that this incident will not leave you with a bad impression of the Medina Essaouira Hotel

Thalassa sea & spa, and I hope that i will have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

Please accept our sincere apologies.

Sincerely.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We (two coupes) did travel to Essaouira for spending our New Year night in Morocco and did book a three night stay in the Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection. Once we arrived at the hotel, all four of us did receive a refreshing tissue and we were asked to wait, because the rooms have not yet been ready. Some minutes later, my girlfriend and I did get served a tea and some tasty cakes….great service…however, our friends did not receive the tea…mistakes happen.
Later on, the room was ready for us, the luggage was transported in our rooms, and actually those rooms are very nice, great big television, separate bath room and toilette, nice balcony, big and comfortable bed. Next morning we went for breakfast, which is ok considering Le Medina Essaouira Hotel is a 5star hotel and about 300euros per double room. The afternoon, somebody of the service did knock our door and gave us an invitation for a kind of cocktail welcome reception. Besides delicious drinks, the hotel did serve some finger food.. again a really nice service, however, just we, and not our friends did receive an invitation. No. they are not looking like bummers. Probably, they were just unlucky. Although it was no problem for them as well to join, attentive service is something else.
Next morning, we went for breakfast. We did order two mint teas…after 10min, the waitress did bring hot water. We did mention that we have actually ordered two mint teas. After another 15min of waiting we again asked for two mint teas. After another 10min finally mint tea was served. Ok not two, just one, but little things make happy. Ahhh, almost forgot. The tea came without cup! But we managed to organize some.
Some words to the SPA area. There is a nice pool with normal water, another little one with warm sea water. Furthermore, there is a hamam. All facilities are nice, however, in a five star hotel, one would expect that some flavor or enough towels are available for enjoying the hamam. Never mind.
In the restaurant, it might happen as well that you order a drink and they bill two drinks. So better check for the bill before paying or signing it.
A really disappointing thing happened at the day of our departure. We kindly asked the staff whether it would be possible to order a taxi. They did, but ones we asked for the price, they stated that it will be 40euros. We mentioned that actually the usual price for a taxi to the airport should be 15euros. But they persisted that a usual taxi is 40euros. So we had to cancel the booked taxi and looked on our own for the transportation. Guess how much it was…right…15 euros.
All in all, the hotel is nice. Ok, its not brand new, not really modern, but clean and the rooms are big and comfortable, especially the bed. The service is fine, at least twice a day there is room service, and if you don’t have a problem to wait ones a cleaning lady is busy cleaning your room, there is nothing to complain. However, if you expect kind of special service, then this place it not a “place to be”.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Markus K

Dear Markus,

Thank you very much indeed for having taken the time to write your opinion in Tripadvisor and to express your satisfaction following your stay at Le Médina Essaouira hotel Thalassa sea & spa .

I have taken note of your comments regarding all the issues you have mentioned and would like to express my sincerest apologies.

I hope that this experience will not leave you with a bad impression of the Hotel.I hope that i will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.