I have stayed in numerous 5 Star hotels for both business and pleasure over many years and this hotel falls far short of any 5 star hotels I have stayed in.
1. The common areas are shabby and in need of refurbishment.
2. The breakfasts were abysmal
3. The staff were unhelpful and, in particular, the reception staff were very badly trained and informed.
4.The wi-fi was so poor that my husband had to miss an important international video call. The reason we booked this hotel is because it was supposed to have a good wi-fi connection – this was not the case. My husband was told this was normal for the town – this was not true as we found a very good and fast wi-fi connection in the town just standing outside a riad there.
5. The water was shut off between midnight and 5am on the first night. There was no note posted in the hotel room and we were subsequently informed that a notice had been put on a board in the lobby – this was so unobtrusive that it was easily missed. I had a bad stomach that night and telephoned the reception requesting a bucket of water to flush down the toilet. We waited nearly half an hour and no-one came back to us. They suggested bottles of water – which was a totally inadequate response. We eventually got a bucket of water and a container of water after my husband went down to reception with the waste bin from hotel room and told the staff he would fill this up from the pool to resolve the problem. We should not be resorting to this in a ‘so-called’ 5 star hotel!
On the positive side, the room was comfortable and the bathroom facilities (other than the issue with the lack of water in the toilet) were OK. The town was delightful with the lovely medina and fishing port.
We would not stay in this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reminiscent of a sumptuous Moroccan riad, the facade of the Sofitel Thalassa Essaouira is painted the traditional red of Mogador. Set on the coast, close to the medina, this charming luxury hotel furnished with thuja and lemon wood cabinets, provides direct access to a luxury thalassotherapy centre. Enjoy an unforgettable leisure and fitness break. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel- reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea And Spa - Mgallery Collection
- Accor Thalassa Essaouira
- Sofitel Essaouira
- Essaouira Sofitel