“Good food, great hosts”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Visited Safran with my fi
ance for lunch and dinner. A good atmosphere in the Souk de Grain which is a lovely arched square.
Anouar was an excellent and friendly host, with a great grasp of English - enough to make jokes all the time.
The pastilla I had was the best I've tasted so far and I would highly recommend it. All the food was of a high standard and good value for money.
Thanks Safran

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Was introduced to this lovely little restaurant/cafe by a friend. Khalid took really good care of us and nothing was too much trouble. As a vegetarian, I really enjoy all the different tagines that Morocco offers and the Safran did some of the most tasty ones - at a reasonable price too!

A little glass of warm soup before a main meal and a pot of Royal Tea after - what more can you ask for!!!

I visit Essaouira regularly and The Safron will ALWAYS be on my list of places to eat.

The drains and the cats can be a problem at times but the quality of the food and service override it!!!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Located in the central Souk Jedid, in the heart of the Medina in Essaouira, the Safran Restaurant offers exquisite dishes of Moroccan cuisine and beyond. Do not miss the Royal Tea, the best in the whole Esaouira, the fresh goat cheese, sandwiches Provencal and the fish, but everything else is very good. The staff is friendly and smiling and if you are interested in buying the Royal Tea, ask to Juseph, a member of the family owner of the restaurant, which takes care of other family activities, including an herbal medicine shop, you will be able to take home a bit of aromas and flavors of Essaouira. B'slama.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We found this restaurant by accident inside a square in the Medina of Essaouira. They have different menus (combinations of appetizer, main course and dessert) at a very good price. As it is in a open area, the food gets cold very easily if the weather is windy (as it happened to me). The sardine portion is very generous.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The owner of our riad in Marrakech encouraged us to look this place up when we set out for Essaouira, particularly given the good vegan/vegetarian offerings on the menu. It took a little finding (though it’s location obvious when you’ve found it, of course!) but it was by far and away one of the best recommendations we had during our week in Morocco.

It’s a good mix or standard Moroccan fare and some more European twists; a goat’s cheese salad with a sweet taboulet and walnuts drizzled with honey and argan oil, for example, we well executed and a welcome change from food that had become the norm over the past few days. The portion sizes verged on the heroic – much more than I could eat – and the value for money was better than anything, anywhere, we’d eaten during our holiday. I had a three course menu of excellent quality in large amounts for a set price of 65dhms. An incredible price for what I had put in front of me.

The owner/waiter was a joy to talk to and the flurry of friendly cats, who became increasingly friendly at the prospect of being fed titbids of food, made for a very engaging lunch. Seek this place out if you are in Essaouira – you won’t regret it.