“Beauty and the Beach”
Review of Riad Imik Imik

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Essaouira
Riad Imik Imik
Ranked #39 of 181 Essaouira B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed for three nights in late September. This place is absolutely gorgeous and Britte is a wonderful host. I had e-mailed about a room earlier in the month but never followed-up. Luckily when I called in the afternoon, she had a room available for that evening. She met my late bus at the SupraTours bus station and walked me back to the riyad. I'm glad she did because I'm not sure I would have found it in the dark, but it turns out that it's very close to a main gate and only two turns off one of the main streets of the medina. She gave me a quick intro to the riad and let me settle into my absolutely gorgeous room. The pictures on trip advisor are accurate and the walls are amazing. Breakfast was delicious and filling - fruit salad, yogurt, bread with homemade jam, eggs, tea/coffee, and juice - and it was served on the lovely roof deck. It's also not far from the vast sandy beach of the town. Spectacular. In the morning she gave me a map and ideas of what to see. Unfortunately, I was very tired from my previous trekking so I napped most of my first day - but what a lovely place to relax. My second day was spent wandering and Britte helped me find a bookstore that sold English language books in preparation for my long trip home. I wish I had arranged to spend another day or two in Essaouira for the activities and the splendid accommodations. Of note, Britte speaks German, French, and English (maybe more).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 24, 2011

After travelling around for 2 weeks in the beautiful Morocco we found the quietness we were looking for during our last week of the holidays. This riad is an oasis of peace, very close to the souks and charming small harbour of Essaouira and the beach. So you are really in the middle of Moroccan life in the medina, combined with good Western comfort. As we rented three rooms and were the only guests, we could use the kitchen to prepare our meals. Great after 2 weeks of eating restaurant food. Once we asked Ghislane to prepare a wonderful pastilla. We loved relaxing at the nice and private roof terrace. The decoration of the riad is very tasteful! As the owner Britta was in Germany, Souad has been a very friendly and helpful hostess. Thanks for this unforgettable stay!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cazo1
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Wohlfühl-Oase in der Medina. Ruhig und zentral gelegen. Die Gastgeberin Britta Lüders hat unseren 3-tägigen Aufenthalt mit viel Herzlichkeit verschönert. Das wunderschön und liebevoll dekorierte Riad mit den geschmackvoll eingerichteten Zimmern ist ein absoluter Geheimtipp. Wir fühlten uns sofort wie zuhause. Die wunderschöne Sonnenterrasse lädt zum Verweilen ein und beim gemütlichen Frühstück wird einem das Wort "Ferien" richtig bewusst. Die vielen Tipps der Gastgeberin (Wellness, Restaurants) waren für uns sehr wertvoll. Wir haben bereits im Juli einen weiteren Kurzaufenthalt gebucht...

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 26, 2011

"Imik imik" is an imitation of a Berber saying meaning keep it easy, slow down, mellow out. The name has been perfectly chosen, for this riad is a relaxed place, from the warm welcome by the hostess Britta to the lovely decorated interior to the delicious breakfast on the roof terrrace.

There are but four rooms - we staid in the blue room and loved the red one, too - , each one with its individual decor and gorgeous furnishing making for a high class, laid-back atmosphere. What's special about this riad are all the charming details which demonstrate the passion and devotion of Britta, like the authentically restored columns from the ancient mellah (Jewish quarter) on the ground floor.

The day starts relaxed on the roof terrace with a terrific breakfast served by the nice and friendly staff. Perfectly happy with Britta's oustanding home-made ginger-fig, apple, and peach jam, potatoe mush, bread, coffee and tea, you lay in the hammock on the terrace to recover.
Once you are back from your short rest and ready to explore the medina (part of the UNESCO World Heritage) do not hesitate to ask Britta for an insider's tip for sights, cultural activities, culinary highlights, trips into the environs, etc.

We loved our stay, and we still wallow in the feeling of sitting in the sun on your terrace. Many thanks for everything, and keep your easy-going way!

Jana & Sebastian, hoping to come back soon ...

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelZap12
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Britta has created the perfect symbiosis between the best of Moroccan flair and the comfort of modern, well-equipped accommodations. The house is a masterpiece of reconstruction tucked into a little alleyway in a quiet part of the old town. Britta herself tops it off with impeccable attention to our traveling needs. Be it a recommended route, or the best source of quality Argan oil, she is a wonderful host.

Particularly in Essaouira, where winds may blow and street life is busy, we always enjoyed returning to Imik Imik, knowing that our own piece of comfort is close-by. We stayed in the first floor Beldi Room and enjoyed its optional twin beds and more spacious setting. We did not have to use the open fireplace, but appreciated looking at it. Breakfast is taken up on the rooftop - which is sunny and fun, but be prepared for the wind. One tip: make sure your car/taxi drops you off at the right city gate - one is just a few hundred meters away, others, as we found out, are a long 10 minute journey.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Nach Besuchen der hektischen Medina konnten meine Freundin und ich bei Britta Lüders (Inhaberin) bestens relaxen.
Das alte Riad ist in einen Top Zustand renoviert worden. Die Räume sind mit viel liebe "modern arabic" eingerichtet und es war das sauberste Hotel unserer Reise.
Auf der wunderschönen Dachterrasse wird das ausgesprochen gute Frühstück serviert.
Hier haben wir uns bei lauen Sommerabenden und einem Glas Wein bestens entspannen können.
Ein klarer Tipp für Reisende, die Individualität mit Herzlichkeit kombinieren möchten.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2011

After staying in Riad Ma'ab in Marrakesh Riad Imik to us was a disappointment. The rooms are nice but not very clean, the bed spread was dusty and so was the floor under the bed. We were asked upon arrival at what time we would like to have breakfast the next morning but it turned out that the lady only arrived around nine o'clock. The continental breakfast on the rooftop was a nice experience, great coffee too. We stayed here for four nights and when, for the last two nights, we moved to a bigger room so did our sheets. In the afternoon and evenings there was no possibility to make a tea or coffee as everything (including the drinking water) had been put away. The riad itself can only be reached after passing smelly alleys and when returning at night no one was considerate enough to leave a light at the door to find the keyhole. If this riad is the number two place to stay in Essaouira I wonder what the other riads are like. Btw, a great place to practise your French as no one spoke English.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple