“Exceeded all expectations”
Review of Riad 'Chez Dar Ma'

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Essaouira
Riad 'Chez Dar Ma'
Ranked #66 of 176 Essaouira B&B and Inns
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Exceeded all expectations”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent Christmas at Chez Dar Ma after deciding to escape for a bit of winter sun. It seemed perfect for our party of 8, and we were absolutely delighted. Allison was a mine of information about the town - a walking guidebook in fact. She gave us tips on everything from restaurants to where to find the best quad bikes. Ever since we've got back we've been trying to work out how we can headhunt Halima to come to the UK - she's wonderful and looked after us so well. If you don't try the tagines and couscous you're missing out. And what a great sense of humour too. Hassan was brilliant as well, turning out every morning to sort out amazing breakfasts of fruit salads, pancakes, orange juice and still-warm fresh bread. All we had to do was sit in the sun on the terrace and enjoy it all - and the wonderful views across the Medina.

It's not a question of "if" we'll be back, more "when". And soon!

Room Tip: They're all good!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Just inside the little Bab Marrakech this was a fantastic place to stay We had, unfortunately, only allowed for one night in Essaouria, but the location meant that everything was on our cute little doorstep. Thanks to Alli and Hassan. Hope to see you again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 17, 2012

It was odd finding a plane ticket from Morocco back to Amsterdam in my bag since during my stay at Riad Dar Ma I had come to believe that this was in fact my new home. I had a front door key and came and went as I pleased, the bed was just as comfy as a bed should be and I loved the colours of the house. I loved the clean white cottons, colourful tiles, warm bright rugs and earthy polished tiles underfoot. There were warm terracotta walls, natural woods and a delightful sunny roof terrace for breakfast. As I ate I would be entertained by the cunning antics of the cat and the gentle persistence of the stowaway tortoise (ask Allison to tell you the bra story) who chomped the offerings from my fruit salad at her prehistoric pace.
It was wonderful to return from the busy, dusty medina streets to a pool of green calm, where Halima had rearranged my belongings into an artful still-life. In short, I felt so at home and welcome that I was momentarily puzzled when a man, proclaiming to be a taxi-driver I had booked, arrived to take me to the airport.
I'll be back soon, insh'allah.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Philippa C
Pescara, Italy
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Me and my best friend spent four days in Essaouira in this lovely B&B.The place where it's situated is easy to find and most of all is near to everything you need!The Riad is well furnished and the breakfast is various and very good!The owner and the people who work there are so nice and helpfull.I hope to come back soon.Absolutely recommended!Annalisa from Italy

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

As I cannot find anything else to add I can only recommend chez Dar ma to whoever wants a great place to stay in the medina. Thank you again and we hope to come and visit again in the future, inch'allah!

• Stayed September 2012
Classified
Reviewed September 30, 2012

At first glance Chez Dar Ma seems a little "out of the way" this actually is ideal. The Riad has a higher terrace then the buildings surrounding it and therefore gets the most beautiful sunsets and is much quieter then the Riads close to the port. Essaouria is not big so everything is a 10 min walk max. Allison is a wonderful host and has great knowledge of the town and hidden resturant gems. The breakfast is prepared at the pre-arrangened time on the roof terrace (make sure to give Jo-Jo your yogurt lids) Out of the half dozen Riads I've stayed at, Chez Dar Ma has been the most welcoming. 5 stars....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We spent 5 nights at Chez Dar Ma and really enjoyed it. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the rooms with en suite bathrooms are very clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated. There are two dining areas, one on the ground floor where there is also a really nice living-room area and the other on the terrace where there is a seriously laid-back 3 sides covered seating area where you eat breakfast. Watch out for the little tortoise that lives there too! There is a small kitchen on the top floor where the staff prepares breakfast and serves it to you on the terrace - your squeezed orange juice couldn't be much fresher! We spent a couple of afternoons up there reading, enjoying the peace and quiet and breathing in the sea air. It was such a pleasure to come back to such a homely place after the hustle and bustle in the medina, or after a hot day lying on the beach. Essaouira is my favourite place in Morocco and I will definitely be returning to Chez Dar Ma on my next trip!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple