“RUDE!!!”

Le Chalet de la Plage
Ranked #49 of 270 Restaurants in Essaouira
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Buit entriely of wood in 1893 by the Farraud familly, the Chalet de la plage has seen four generation of owners in its century in existence. without ever failing to live up to this reputation for excellence. wether run by the De Soto family, ,by the hoisnards or -as nowadays- the "Jeannots", the welcome has always been as warm, the view of the port and the islands as impressive, and the fish, seafood and shellfish as fresh and delicious on your plate. over the years the decor has naturally enough been embellished with a thousand and one souvenirs, and today's clients come from all over the worls - artists, sport enthisiasts, poets, or simply anonymous lovers seduced by the timeless charm of EssaouiraEn 1965, la famille Jeannot a repris ce restaurant ouvert depuis 1893 et en a fait une veritable institution a Essaouira et au Maroc. Situee en bordure de mer, juste au-dessus de la plage aux mouettes et goelands d'Essaouira, la carte propose une cuisine mediterraneenne typique. Crustaces, oursins, gambas, calamars, langoustes et poissons entiers sont a la fete. Les serveurs prodiguent leurs conseils sous l'oeil attentif de Jeannot, le capitaine du Chalet de la Plage. La salle est "non fumeur", pour votre confort.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The "bouncer" at the door would not even let me place my hand on the doorknob and actually pushed me away. I've never been treated so rudely in all of my travels around the world. Left and went to Les Bretons Du Sud where we had a memorable meal where the staff could not do enough to make us happy. Don't even bother with Le Chalet de la Plage.

3  Thank sspie

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Lovely relaxing lunch looking out over the beach. Helpful waiter. Decent local wine. Was adventurous and had our first sea urchins, to be recommended!

1  Thank FootloosePair
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I had dinner at the restaurant on a Monday night. Although the menu and food were very good I thought it was overpriced. My husband had a fruit salad for dessert that consisted of bananas, oranges and pears-that was it. No strawberries even tho they were in season or any creative presentation. Our server was just mediocre and seemed like she was on auto pilot. We were charged for two cocktails when we only had one (one was without alcohol) and when questioned about it she just pointed to the bill and said that was what we received. Would not go to this restaurant again or recommend it.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Our group of ten on a textile tour with Noblejourneys.com decided to have lunch here. With a reservation, we were seated immediately on the terrace facing the beach. Being many, we sampled and shared a large variety of seafood: grilled sardines and rouget, marinated anchovies, mussels mariniere, shrimp, calamari, sole meuniere, fish soup and fresh oysters. All were delicious. There were many customers, so reservations are a good idea.

1  Thank CultureTrips
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is a wooden building right on the beach with spectacular views. You would expect such a location to result in an average tourist diner. Not this one. We arrived without a reservation and were given a lovely table with a view of the beach. We had the best fun waiter who was fun in a very casual way so that it did not wear thin over the course of the meal - very drole humour. We were all there for fish and it was the freshest and most wonderful fish I could wish for. Others had amazing sardines to start and I chose the fish soup with rouille. Well.....first a plate of croutons arrived with a ramekin of rouille in the centre together with a dish of grated gruyere or emmental and an empty soup bowl. The rouille was not pink as is usual in France but a really buttery yellow in colour and was, in effect, an amazing aioli. As there were so many croutons, my companions, with little urging from me, dived into the rouille with gusto. There was just a nice amount left for me by the time our waiter arrived with a tureen (yes a whole tureen) of the deepest russet shellfish soup which he ladled into my bowl, leaving the tureen on the table for me to help myself to more. It was truly the best I have ever had and I would go back for more if ever back in Essaouira. A request for more rouille brought a second ramikin with a smile. Another of the party had prawns for main course - such a large plateful that we were all invited to dip in ... and did so. Needless to say, there was a lot of dipping into the rouille with them as well. What a feast we all had ... and for a song ... and served with gusto and fun. If you like fish, do not miss it.