“Brilliant way to spend half a day”
Review of l'Atelier Madada

L'Atelier Madada Moroccan Cooking Workshop
Ranked #1 of 7 Food & Drink in Essaouira
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: At the entrance of the old medina, in a former almond warehouse, l'Atelier Madada welcomes you under its stone arches. By small groups (8 persons maximum) and supervised by a professional team (a cook and a trilingual presenter) our hosts discover the secrets of Moroccan gastronomy and are initiated into the delights of one of the best cuisine in the world. In a friendly and casual atmosphere, those half-day workshops teach each participant how to prepare a full traditional meal that one can then easily reproduce at home.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This cookery school was a wonderful experience and well worth the time and money. Mouna was delightfully strict, making sure that the food we prepared was absolutely delicious. And Alison was first class - a great translator and general font of all knowledge. The trip to the spice market while our tagines bubbled away made the course even better and meeting a spice seller that you knew would provide you with quality goods at a reasonable price was really enjoyable. Returning to consume our yummy courgette chermoula and chicken tagine was a treat - as was the time to chat to the others on the course. A really good experience from start to finish.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I went to one of the cooking workshops with a couple of friends last week and we all enjoyed it immensely. Mouna and Alison are great teachers and Mouna in particular keeps a very close - but friendly - eye on what everyone is doing to make sure that all the meals prepared turn out very tasty! Everyone in the group had the chance to make their own lamb tajine with dried fruits that we then enjoyed eating as it was served to us in the restaurant. The trip to the spice market whilst our tajines were simmering away was also very interesting - a chance to enjoy a cup of tea with one of the local spice sellers and discover all of his special spice mixes! I would definitely recommend this workshop if you have half a day to spend and want to a real hands-on Moroccan cooking experience.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We booked the L'Atelier cooking class on the recommendation of our Riad and were delighted with the experience. the facilities were excellent and the chef, although limited English, was a cheeky delight. Our translator was extremely helpful and our trip to the spice market very informative and helpful. We enjoyed the food so much we came back that night to the attached restaurant. An experience fully recommended.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Like everyone else, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this cooking class, including the market visit and spice stall presentation and tea.

The teacher Alison and her sidekick had a great balance between professionalism, friendliness and fun, which made the experience unforgettable. And the food was delicious too!

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I had done a cookery course and it was a great way to get insight to the Moroccan culture. Moroccan cooking is all about taking your time so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to use my new skills Our teachers - Mona and Alison - were friendly, informative and patient in the face of poor chopping. The trip to the spice market was lovely - I wish I could do all my shopping that way: tea in hand having the different spices explained to me.