All reviews rooftop terrace the owner pancakes where breakfast is served family suite ten minute walk third floor comfortable beds fresh orange juice wonderful stay lovely riad jerome karol heart medina morocco hosts
Selected filters
Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

A few days before our check-in date, I indicated on Booking.com the time at which that I would be checking-in at Riad Lyon-Mogador, which was 8-9pm. The reason for that was because I was making my way to Essaouira from the desert and I surely was not going make it by 7pm. According to Jerome, the owner of the Riad, the deadline for check-in is no later than 7pm. On our way from the desert, as soon as I had some cellular coverage, I quickly called Jerome informing him of our arrival. His lack of hospitality, arrogance and highly condescending tone could be sensed immediately. A successful manager in the hospital and hotel industry must be aware that not everyone can make it to check-in time at 7pm. So what if that is the case? Where should travellers go that miss the 7pm deadline, especially when their credit cards have fully been charged for the room? This is absolutely ridiculous and goes beyond Moroccan hospitality.
At the time of check-in, I could sense that we were bothering him and that he wasn’t happy about us showing up at all. There was no understanding or empathy about the fact that we were driving the whole day. His passive-aggressive humour made us feel utterly uncomfortable and guilty. We almost felt like we were intruders. On the other hand, admittedly, the main area inside the Riad was well decorated, the rooftop view was great and the place looked clean and well taken care of. But isn’t hospitality a HUGE part of the Moroccan experience?
To further exemplify Jerome’s extreme lack of hospitality, my friends and I were served breakfast on the rooftop and my friend decided to have an extra egg. After asking a member of the staff, Jerome hears the conversation from his unit. He immediately informs my friend that he will NOT provide an extra egg because breakfasts come with 1 egg only. I could not believe what I was hearing!!! There were evidently so many ways that a successful manager can deal with a such a situation, such as charging for the egg for instance. But to completely shut my friend down and tell her that he will not give her an extra egg boggles my mind and speaks particularly to the utter lack of Moroccan experience.
I can continue speaking about a few more incidents that occurred during our stay, such as false advertising and micro rooms with no windows. I hope that my fellow travellers are fully cognizant of what kind of treatment awaits them at Riad Lyon-Mogador. And if you are not fully convinced, please read Jerome’s response to travelers who felt like I do today.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
5  Thank karim298
Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

As you can see by the owner’s comment on the review below, you can see the kind of attitude you get at this place.
His passive aggressive attitude did not make me feel welcome at this Riad.

After traveling Morocco for 12 days, this is the worst hospitality I’ve received from an owner.
At breakfast, my friend kindly asked for an extra egg, and she was rudely informed the limit was one egg per person. That would NOT happen anywhere in Morocco. They could have, at least, explained in an educated matter, provided an alternative or opened an exception for that occasion.
After breakfast, at around 11:30am, the staff asked me to leave the room because they had to clean it, which I understand but I felt rushed to get out. I felt like an intruder and afraid to approach the owner and staff for anything.

The rooms were small without windows or space to leave our luggage. There was no division between the shower and washroom so the entire floor would get soaked after taking showers.

The location is good and rooftop was cute and spacious. But this is not the breaking factor for me to choose a place.
Some other friends stayed at a Moroccan owned Riad, and I will surely do that next time.

The owner can argue feedback but he can’t argue the way we felt during our stay.

Will not come back, as per my experience AND the owner’s advice.

Date of stay: July 2018
4  Thank Elisa M
Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

After reading amazing reviews we decided to book Ryad Lyon-Mogador, at the time of booking had received the notice that a pre payment which is misleading because it’s a full payment.
On the day of our arrival we called to get directions to the closest parking, since we were coming from the desert this call was around 8pm and we had estimated to arrive at 9pm, his comment of our late arrival was that normally we would loose our reservation if we didn’t check in at 7pm which I found to be a useless comment since it was obviously past 7pm and also he had charged EUR768.00 to my card for the full stay. How does someone dare to say I will loose my room after paying for it 14 days ahead.

At the point of our arrival, we had been traveling around Morocco for over a week and stayed at local Riads and had an idea of Moroccan hospitality, which was not what I experienced at check in, we were greeted by the owner (Jerome) and he assisted with the check in, it was cold and felt like a transaction and not like a welcome.
The lobby was nicely decorated, and same as the rooms, with a comfortable bed and pillows.
In the room we had a window that faced hallway, and only 2 small windows close to the bathroom ceiling, which meant that to get fresh air into the bedroom, we had to keep the bathroom doors open.
In the bathroom, the button to flush the toilet was getting stuck and kept the water running, I would’ve reported it, however, I tried to report an issue to the management and we were told “this is strange, this never happened before”
There were a few remarks from management that made us feel very unwelcome.
I could possibly write a few instances when we were made felt like intruders and not welcomed during our stay. But this is not the intent, the intent is to share my overall experience

Trip type: Traveled with friends
5  Thank Hector N
lyonmogador, Propriétaire at Ryad Lyon-Mogador, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2018

Dear Hector,
Thank you for your comments.
We are very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay at the Riad, although it is absolutely not what you told us when you were with us...
Let us try to answer your points :
- As soon as you booked, we sent you a message of acknowledgement, saying thanks for the booking and please come back to us if you need any information. You never answered.
- One day prior to your arrival, we sent you another message, asking you your approximate arrival time, and pointing out our check-in hours (2pm to 7pm). Again, you never answered.
- You gave us wrong credit card details and we had to ask the OTA to contact you about it
- You did call on the night of your arrival, and we gave you full details for parking and coming to us; we just mentioned incidentally that check-in hours were already past.
- Upon arrival, it was more than difficult to find a smiling face on any of you; you might have been exhausted by your trip, but it had nothing to do with us and to be frank, we saw grim faces during the whole of your stay, and our staff shared that impression with us several times... You never interacted with over guests, barely said "hello" when we greeted you every morning, and to tell you the truth, were quite noisy at night even though we had other people sleeping.
- The problem with the flushing toilet was solved within minutes of your reporting, it is untrue to say nothing was done, and you never mentioned it again. When you left, it was working perfectly well, so we guess you had no further problem.
So thank you for sharing your experience, we always take guests' remarks into consideration.
But we also were very disappointed, this is not what we expect from our job as a guest house, we and all our staff felt like being badly considered despite our efforts, and used like any impersonal hotel in the world.
Thank god, as you can read, most of our guests have a different point of you.
No need to come back, of course.
Best regards

Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

Such a wonderful place to stay in Essaouira. The highlights: Jerome and staff’s hospitality, well-appointed and designed rooms, the room cleanliness, the amazing freshly bought and prepared breakfast on the rooftop terrace with beautiful ocean view. As a solo traveler it was also great to meet the other friendly guests staying here.

Jerome helped me organize a taxi to Marrakech in order to see the goats in trees along the way.

Essaouira is a magical place, the ocean breezes are a great respite from the heat of the summertime. Thank you and I hope to come back again!

Trip type: Traveled solo
lyonmogador, Propriétaire at Ryad Lyon-Mogador, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2018

Thanks very much Darren for such an enthusiastic and comprehensive review !
We're glad you enjoyed the Riad, even for such a short stay, and hope to see you again, this time longer and with your family ?
Best regards, and have a safe trip home !

Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

We had an amazing stay at this place. Very kind and helpful staff, clean rooms, comfortable beds, and then the breakfasts.. awesome! Fresh orange juice, pancakes, croissant, fruitsalad, yoghurt..
You should go here!!!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
lyonmogador, Propriétaire at Ryad Lyon-Mogador, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2018

Thank you Marion, first for staying with us, and also for your very kind review.
We're happy you enjoyed the Riad and hope to see you again !