“Amazing”

Elizir
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was sold as soon as we walked through the door as I loved the decor in this place. Thankfully it was followed up with three courses of pure perfection. Without fail the bets meal of the holiday.

1  Thank mambaj

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We found this restaurant on TripAdvisor and were very keen to go - the decor and look of the food was right up our street!
The entire restaurant is decorated beautifully, a really one of a kind place. When we arrived, we were greeted with a very warm welcome and shown our seats. We were brought a selection of dips with freshly baked, warm bread.
The owner of the restaurant was really honest about how filling certain meals may be, recommending we perhaps share a starter to allow enough room for the generously sized main meals.
The food was exquisite - my husband had the fillet steak, rare, and it was cooked to perfection. I had home-made ricotta ravioli. It was absolutely brilliant. We had a chocolate tart each for dessert, served with a variety of extras like pistachio ice cream. It was the best chocolate tart we have ever had!

We loved this restaurant so much, we made another booking to go for our last night in Essaouira. This time we sat by the fire, which was wonderful.
We recommend this place to everyone - but definitely make a reservation. It is a small restaurant, so gets full very quickly and has limited tables.

1  Thank Joeylamb
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Can echo the reviews of many others...this is Essaouira's best restaurant. The menu is small but sublime. First time I could describe gnocchi in almond pesto as a "delicate" dish, but Elizir's was! Best filet yet in Morocco (where do they get their beef?). Wonderful salmon briks as a starter, and who knew that lamb and pears go together? Warm friendly staff, and the equally friendly owner has turned this restaurant into an eclectic lair that welcomes diners to feel at home.

Elizir is really popular -- especially with couples. Reservations are a must, and probably should be made a day or two in advance. Call in the evening as the restaurant is only open for dinner.

1  Thank Anjouan17
Reviewed November 2, 2013

From me, just some key points here to add to the other reviews that people have been kind enough to share:

1) It really is inside an alleyway that you would never in a million years walk down - find it on a map and have faith that you have found the right place; don't worry it al changes once you get inside

2) Some different choices here; French & Moroccan food being the main choices. The risotto with squid ink is a nice choice, but be prepared to be scrubbing your fingers for days afterwards to get the ink of (looked like I'd done a few hours coal-mining on the side for 3 days)

3) Steak - yep, steak. not sure what went through my mind when I ordered it, but it was really good.

4) This restaurant makes you feel like you are either trapped inside a 1950's Japanese Monster B-Movie, in an episode of the Jetson's or round at your crazy Aunties for dinner - don't care - liked it.

5) We ate in a 'private room' which had only two tables in it. Again I really liked that - you might want to ask for that (we were guffawing and rowdy all night, so I'm sure the other guests were pleased - but we felt that we could!!!).

Enjoy.

1  Thank AndyS100
Reviewed October 29, 2013

this is a great restaurant, good service, good food, great decour. we had brilliant service and food.if you are in Essaouira do not miss this place.