“Chems Bleu, a wonderful stay”
Review of Riad Chems Bleu

Riad Chems Bleu
Ranked #16 of 176 Essaouira B&B and Inns
Lazio
“Chems Bleu, a wonderful stay”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed at Riad Chems Bleu just for one night in May 2011 but it was a very good experience. The hotel was very clean and the room big and sunny. The breakfast was fresh and rich. I really advise all the travellers to stay in this riad also for longer periods and I personally hope to go back soon. Furthermore Riad Chems Bleu is located near the city centre, just five minutes walks from the harbour.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank fcapelli_99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Rabat
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I’m a little shocked that this place is listed as #3 in Essaouira. Not because is a horrible place … it’s not … but rather because it wasn’t as spectacular as the previous reviews make it out to be. I’m not sure if that’s because Essaouira has some pretty bad/expensive Riads or if I’ve just been lucky enough to find some real gems in Morocco. But it is a very lovely riad.

The location is great. Don’t be fooled by the map and think it’s too far from the main part of the medina; it’s not. The medina is small and it’s easy to find your way around. You’re not in the heart of the medina … which is only, at most, a 5 minute walk away … and that means it’s quiet. There are no restaurants blaring their music, hawkers yelling “excuse me, just a look”, and no hustle and bustle of tourists under your window. You can get to all of that … but it won’t find you.

The staff was super friendly and helpful. They had recommendations of where to, and where not to, go. Breakfast was incredible … and slightly different each morning. I haven’t found that to be the case in most Riads. It was nice not knowing exactly what to expect.

Just a couple of things to watch out for. The Riad is at the end of a urine-stenched dead alley. While I’m used to walking through the tight, dark streets of medinas, I’m not used to stepping over guys cutting drugs and drinking in alleyways. The staff is aware of this and told us not to worry about them. I’m not sure how much control I expect them to have on who’s outside their premises. And I have to admit, they seemed pretty friendly and innocuous; they move out of our way and didn’t hassle us when we walked by. But it was a little disconcerting.

And when we checked out, the staff wanted to know who we booked through before telling us the final price. It makes me wonder if there is a set price or if they have different prices depending on how you find them.

But overall, I’d go back the next time we’re in Essaouira.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank charli246
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 27, 2011

On our second visit to Essaouira we stayed at Chems Bleu. We would thoroughly recommend this Riad to anyone looking to stay in the Medina, in a riad with excellent light and views and small enough to offer highly personalized service during your stay – and all at a very competitive price.
When owner Annie Menard is not there, the mainstay of the operation is Latifa for whom nothing is too much trouble. Latifa makes all the difference! Our boys suffered a bout of food poisoning and she was quick to fetch some pasta to prepare to help sustain them…
We stayed in the RED room which is surprisingly large and with a mezzanine level with a second bed, and the OCHRE room that has sea views over the Medina wall, and across to the main entrance gate to the Medina.
There is a nice terrace (on top of the OCHRE room) where you take breakfast (which is excellent!) on sunny days and this has wide views over the Medina and to the main beach of Essaouira.
A wonderful place to stay while in Essaouira – highly recommended.

Room Tip: Annie or Latifa will sort out the best option!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank rjbxls
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I stayed here for two weeks in February 2011. It’s a pleasure to stay inside the medina. In fact a privilege to mingle with the Moroccans as they go about their life. Latifa and Sumir and the staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms are very pleasant
I really enjoyed it here and was very glad I stayed inside the walls instead of a hotel. its very central and most of the action is inside the medina. I look forward to returning soon

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Although located within the Medina, once you stepped through the little blue door, you could hardly tell. We were greeted with refreshing mint tea and an orientation of the Medina.

A beautiful and simply decorated Riad equipped with clean and comfortable rooms. The concierge, Sumiyya and Latifa are heaven sent. Fluent in both English and French, they provided us with helpful tips on shopping, restaurants and hammam. We felt well looked after. Latifa personally brought me to the hammam for my scrub down and Sumiyya taught us how to haggle with the vendors. Their hospitality services beat any five star hotel's hands down.

The breakfast provided was scrumptious and more than sufficient. We stayed in both Dunette and Ocre. Both are equally comfortable and clean, equipped with heaters in case you find the evenings chilly. Dunette has a private balcony and Ocre is more spacious room. Both have views of the ocean.

We will got back to Essaouira just to find an excuse to stay at Chems Bleu.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2010

My wife and I stayed for a couple of nights after being in Marrakech. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The room was cosy with a cracking sea view - great for an afternoon chill out. The restaurant Mehdi recommended (M'Riste Jouhar) was excellent as were his tips on places to wander round. They also organised an excellent overnight camel tour for us and let us leave our gear in our room free of charge for the night we were away. Great place. We felt really welcome.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
University Place, Washington
Reviewed October 22, 2010

We relaxed here for a couple of days after a trip to Marrakech, and it was exactly what we needed. The staff could not be more helpful or friendly. Our room was basic, but clean and comfortable, with an unobstructed view of the ocean. Breakfast was simple but tasty, with very flexible hours. The location was perfect! It was a short walk to anywhere you might want, but far enough away from the main square that it was quiet at night. Perfect! This is a lovely place to relax.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple