“Beautiful Place - complete with Camels!”

Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in El Jadida
Florida
“Beautiful Place - complete with Camels!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Million dollar views - with beautifully done new rooms and great food. The pastry chef is amazing, creating gold dusted treasures perfect for gift giving. Huge general pool area, and smaller one for children in separate area. On site horse stables for riding and camel owners come on site to offer camel rides and the ability to see the camel herd up close. Multilingual staff everywhere but cleaning the room - but all are helpful and polite. Casino on site, but not intrusive. Hotel rooms and entire facility was perfectly manicured and very clean - very modern. Right on the Atlantic ocean with round the clock security that is never seen. Great Beach bar on a large dune overlooking beach area. Great place to watch the stable guys run the horses for their exercise. Love it. Top notch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Softsoutherner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had a lovely relaxing week in a lovely hotel, but reading some of the other reviews makes me wonder if people went to the same hotel! Since these nearly put us off booking at all, it might help to deal with some of the issues here.
a) Light switch too far from bed. Suggestion: Ring down to the front desk and have them send someone up to turn it off.
b) Spa not in same building. Perfectly true, it's about 100m away through the immaculate and beautiful (even in January) gardens. Suggestion: Get the front desk to book you a taxi - or a sedan chair?
c) Their English is not good. True, but then how is your Arabic? - or even your French? For the couple who apparently don't even read French I can only say that's their loss.
d) Got lost on way to room. Suggestion: There are these little things on the walls with numbers and arrows on them. If you try following them (up and down as well as left and right) you may not have such a problem.
e) There was no afternoon tea. If you seriously had appetite for even more food, why not liberate the odd macaroon from the buffet? Actually if you ask the staff, they will provide you a little box to do the liberating in.
f) No bath robes or coffee making facilities in rooms. Simply untrue - there are robes AND slippers, coffee and tea.
g) People lose money in the Casino. Really! And here's me thinking Casinos are there to help you pay for your holiday.
h) You have to book to ride the horses, etc. With 1200 guests and 12 horses, may I wonder what the reviewer expected.
i) It's a long way to reception. Yes indeed, it's a very big hotel. You have to walk down beautiful stone and marble corridors sometimes overlooking one of the lovely interior courtyards full of trees and water features.
Of course there are more serious problems. Things don't always work, which is hardly news, but nothing that we found couldn't be quickly fixed by a simple non-confrontational call to the front desk. You're not in New York, or London, or Paris, of course. You're in the middle of Morocco . The staff are uniformly friendly and helpful. The hotel is beautiful - like an Arabian nights fantasy. The food is superb - buffet only on full board, but such choice, and such variety. You can mix Asian, Eastern. Indian, Japanese, Moroccan, Italian - and more. Anything from Sushi to Roast Beef, and exquisite Parisian patisserie to Egyptian bread and butter pudding, taking in magnificent ice-creams (the best I've had outside italy - maybe the best anywhere. They're made by a company run by an Italian). Fresh Fruit and vegetables in abundance. Of course, like all buffets, it has a major drawback - you want to taste everything, and there's just too much.
it may be fair to say that the hotel is not quite sure what it wants to be - Claridges, Gleneagles (for the golf), Butlins (for the family) or just a large cruise liner washed up on the shores of the Atlantic. it would be a major triumph to pull all these off, and there are dangers in trying to please everyone. Just one example: on one night there was a large crowd of oafish and ill-mannered *****ese students in the restaurant. These wouldn't have got past the front steps of any 5 star hotel I know, let alone into its restaurant. Imagine being a member of staff having to be polite and helpful to this lot, when what they really needed was a hard kick up the backside and two weeks on bread and water with only each other for company.
So, just to sum things up, we had a wonderful week. Long walks on the empty beach to work up an appetite for the next delicious meal. Peaceful evenings. But we are a couple nearing their 70s, and that's the sort of thing we enjoy. Finally, the dreaded checkout. I can't answer for the experience of others here, but it took us all of 4 minutes and the bill was absolutely correct.

Room Tip: Don't waste time or money booking sea view. The Riad in principle looks inward, and large exteri...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank incmw
El Jadida, Morocco
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The service is really great espically the morning service in olives restaurant Farid who also works in the atrium and Dunia who works is the kids club is exceptional.
Everyone of the staff in the baby club are brilliant and so amazing with young ones, highly recommended.
I have two twins who are both two years old and Dunia is genuine and really helpful with them which put both of us at ease.
This was the whole idea for us to have a relaxed holiday and all the staff make this place run so efficiently.
Both of us would definitely recommend the Mezagan

Room Tip: If you are a couple with small children the baby club is the way to go and I would recommend the tre...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Zee2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was transferred from the airport to the hotel alone ,great. on arrival 90 min.later the views were splendid ,an arabic castle near the Atlantic .
reception was prompt and off to my room ,1st floor and simple ,clean with views to pool and garden.next day try to find the restaurant ,as there are various ,with incuded and not inclu.in the price . you settle back in and around the hotel .
A walk in a magnificent ground fully landscaped with professional gardeners working to perfection the soil and caring for the environment.
An Arabian dream from Persian Legend of Omar al Kyhyam in the one thousand and one tales,Just Glorious.
Next day The bad story unfold itself with a vengence ,as the heaven open and the weather worsen my room unheated I developed a shiver and a heavy cough ,two days followed in a room miserable and the sun never set eye,rang reception and immediately was transferred to 2nd floor room where the sun can be seen in late aft.to cut it short ,Please do visit this lovely hotel with great food and above all The Moroccan staff who are Great always there to help,But never in the winter .Spring summer and fall should be great ,I am back and feel already much better.

Room Tip: room must be sun orientated with full view of sun rise.very important
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank marbelou88
Southampton, England
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Just got back from a 5 day break there and, sad to say, the weather was a let down. 1 day of sun and the rest was heavy rain showers.. So, no swimming for me it was too cold! Despite having chosen this hotel as it said 'heated pool' that was not my experience - the water temperature was about 18 deg which is not warm enough really unless you like cold swimming.

So, the good points - the beach is beautiful and sandy and pretty deserted (we went in January so clearly it's low season). The hotel is impressive in terms of build and décor and the rooms are large and spacious (we had a pool view which was fine). I did have some issues which agree with some other reviewers on this site. The hotel was overstaffed at this time of year - to the point where waiters were more numerous than guests in the buffet in the evening. This meant your plate was whisked away before you'd had a chance to put your fork down as the staff are keen to look busy. It seems that staff are not paid very much so they deliberately have lots of them - a fact of life in a poor country I guess. Everyone was charming and hospitable though, I could not fault the staff. Where it seems to go wrong is in the attitude of the management.

We had booked half-board but due to a last minute change of flight by our travel company (Fleetway - beware they seem to do this a lot) we missed our first night's meal, arriving too late. When we enquired the next day if we could have a lunch instead (a perfectly reasonable request I think as we've paid for it) we were told no this was not possible. When we questioned why we were told it was a package and couldn't be altered, the prices were different, etc. Not really an answer and to be honest, it made me feel like I didn't want to eat lunch there at all after so they lost out on us spending more money there after that. A shame as they could have offered an option from the lunch menu as people on all-inclusive would have had. A 5-star hotel should bend over backwards to help their customers but they made me feel cheap for asking. They also did not manage to provide a gluten-free breakfast option despite promising to do so by email before we went (my partner is coeliac). I understand this is perhaps not common in Morocco but as they had promised beforehand this was a disappointment. Breakfast was wonderful though and plenty of choice for most diets.

January is a quiet month to go - some of the restaurants weren't open (despite saying we would have a choice of venues for breakfast we only ever had one option) and getting snacks when you were round the pool was a difficult task as the poolside café is closed. The food is excellent - a great choice so you could have a different meal every night, and very fresh and authentic. Being a buffet though means you do get a little bored after a while eating in the same place with the same range each night and I'd had enough after 4 nights. Beware though drinks are not included. Not a problem for us as we expected to pay but if you go all inclusive it is not always clear which ones are included and you may end up paying for drinks which you thought were free. We witnessed an argument at checkout between other guests and the management over this. If in doubt, check your bill daily - it can be done on the TV in the room and make sure you smooth out any discrepancies before check out. This poor management makes adversaries of good people - guests versus reception staff. Most of this unpleasantness could be avoided if they trained their staff better and had clear instructions.. it was sad to witness.

We did have a couple of heavy downpours which clearly doesn't happen often - water was pouring into the corridor outside our room which I was worried would flood our carpet but luckily it stopped just in time. I feel this is a problem of the drainage in the building presumably as they don't get much rain. The hotel is cold in places - clearly designed for hot weather and not for the low season when evening temperatures fell to 11 or 12 and the wind whipped through the corridors and rain dripped onto shiny tiled floors making it somewhat treacherous. The room could be heated via the air conditioning though so no problem keeping warm once you were in.

Overall this is a good hotel - if falls a little short of 5-star though because of problems with service. It feels churlish to complain when most of the staff did work so hard to make our stay a good one. I wish I'd known before I left how little they earn or I would have been more generous in tipping - we only heard from an Arabic speaking guest on the bus on the way to the airport.. he told us they get a euro and one meal included a day, and 6 days off a month but obviously I can't corroborate this.

Because of the bad weather we did go on two trips - one to Morocco Mall in Casablanca (we didn't want to go to the mall but it's a short taxi ride to the medina and a free trip so it seemed a good idea). Unfortunately, the trip took two hours to get there by which time we were tired and then the heavens opened so we stayed in they dry and did some shopping instead. The next day due to the bad weather (again) we decided to get on the free shuttle to El-Jadida. I have to say it was a major disappointment. It's just a slightly run-down port town with a walled medina (Portuguese) which you are dropped off outside with a pick-up 4 and a half hours later. As one other reviewer has said - an hour would be plenty. To walk around the ramparts takes at best 20 mins (the old town is dilapidated and needs some upkeep - it also smelled a little but there were some good views over the Atlantic). We would have liked to have coffee somewhere but after walking around the main town for nearly an hour were unable to anything that looked welcoming to tourists. There was a nice place in the medina but it looked closed. So, we made our way back to the pick-up point and got the hotel to come and pick us up. We weren't the only ones to have given up - the other people we had travelled with had given up after half an hour!. So, I wouldn't bother to be honest.

Finishing on a good note, the spa was lovely and we both had excellent massages there and spend an afternoon in the hammam (steam rooms). Highly recommended to try that. Anyhow, we had a good few days there, enjoying the food and the rest. With good weather the experience could be very different.

Room Tip: We didn't get a choice - we were told a pool view and that was fine.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank triciaw_10
South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

It's a difficult question - mixed feelings. We have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and I would not rate this as 5*. It's close but not sure that the management structure is able to push for the 'extra' that would get it there.- so, so disappointing as the choice of restaurants was the one reason we chose this resort over Christmas & New Year.

The hotel and facilities are amazing for couples, families and corporate; the service within the hotel is amongst the best we have ever experienced, may not always be swift but you're on holiday so chill. Always a smile, no one passes you without a greeting and happy to help at all times and in every location.

But (and isn't there always) the billing system is a nightmare. We were on all inclusive - easy you would think. Every day the bill was wrong so every day I had to battle with reception to get it sorted. The first person you speak to has to refer to someone else etc etc. Sometimes it could take up to 2 hours and then you might have to go back later while they defered to yet another structure of management. Not how I wanted to spend my holiday and after a few days became just so annoying.. I wasted too much of my time doing this and so much energy arguing the point that it did in the end spoil it for me.

I think one of the main reasons for all the errors was two fold - staff not sure how the all inclusive system worked and the system is too complicated to handle the large number of guests on various packages.

I would not go there on an all inclusive basis again - whilst good value it certainly did not fullfil our expectations of a 5* package. Eating in a huge buffet style restaurant with little ones running all over the place in total chaos is not how I would choose to have an evening meal with my husband. It was a bit grubby around the edges and showing signs of wear & tear. Totally the wrong sort of environment for us. The choice of food however was superb - faultless.

We did have the option of eating some meals in the a la carte restaurants but they were not always open and the choice for all inclusive was very limited - not the full a la carte menu offered. These limited menu's did not change at all for the 9 days we were there.

It is not possible to get a drink or cup of coffee/tea if you sit by the pool or in the hotel lobby at any time and no food is available after 3pm and before the restaurants open for the evening if on all inclusive - it is certainly not always convenient when sitting in a bikini to get dressed and walk either up to the golf club house or to the back of a very smokey & dingy casino restaurant to get a snack or drink. When my husband finished his game of golf at say 3pm and met me down by the pool he could not even get a coffee & cake - there was nowhere at all in the whole of this resort where on an all inclusive basis we could get that. Equally if you want to eat late the only restaurant available is at the casino and you have to pay for that as we had to when our flight delay caused a late arrival. No mention of any of this in the 'small print'. There is coffee shop in the foyer but that is payable as was the late night casino restaurant. Quite bizzare for 5*.

The resort is about 4 years old and begining to show signs of wear & tear all round - it is an amazing place but unless they keep well on top of the maintenance it is going to look very shabby indeed in another 4 years. The quality of fittings etc is not brilliant which is why it is starting to look a little frayed at the edges.

Location right by the beautiful beach is perfect and really no need to go out from there at all. Golf, archery, go-carting, horse riding, gym,, kids club and pool just wonderful and the staff at all these options were terrific.

We went for a massage at the Hamman and the service there was not quite 5* eithr. We were shown to a room and just left having no idea what to do or where to go etc - when we did get to our treatment it was great but not a very good start.

Rooms all have a view - we went for sea option which was stunning - only comment is the sound proofing not brilliant and if you have noisy neighbours could be a problem. Large rooms a little basic - not stunning - but clean and more than adequate.

Our transfer from airport to hotel was included in the price paid - what Fleetway or the Hotel omitted to point out was this was only when the hotel shuttle operated - if your flight was after 11.00pm and before 8.30am you had to pay for a car @ 1000dhs each way - we are still trying to get this refunded.

What needs to change is;
- the management strucure where currently no-one appears to be have the authority to amend errors.
- the all inclusive option is just too limited - you do feel like a second class guest
- reduce the buffet restaurants to much smaller speciality ones and just one where children are not allowed
- be very sure what your package does and doesn't include - I sent dozens of emails to Fleetway & the hotel to establish before we went - so many conflicting bits of information that was not as we thought and not what we thought we had paid for.

there. They get one chance to make a first impression and after a dreadfully delayed and tedious flight to be told that the only place we could eat was at the back of a dingy casino and we would have to pay for it was possibly not the impression they were wanting to make.

It is such a shame as they have the making of a brilliant resort with superb staff but 5* it is not quite

Rowy Buitekant

Room Tip: Go for the Atlantic View - amazing to go to sleep hearing the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Rowy123456
Warsaw, Warszawa, Poland
Reviewed January 8, 2014

to much to write everything in details. We spent 2 weeks there and it was the worst experience ever. I'm traveling all over the world a lot. Staying in different types of hotels but it is not like 'it didin't meet our expectation' but it was every day struggle to enforce our basic needs like hot water, cleaning (not just mop and smudge but clean!), and a loot of more. Most of the stuff was very friendly and welcome though.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family