“Beautiful hotel in a breathtaking location”

Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in El Jadida
Bristol
“Beautiful hotel in a breathtaking location”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I booked the Mazagan via Fleetway travel and it was an amazing experience. We wanted a week of complete relaxation and indulgence, and the Mazagan exceeded our expectations. The service at the hotel is fantastic - they are always on hand to help and ensure you are happy, whereas at the same time they are never pushy or over-bearing. The hotel is large, but this is part of its charm with all the Moroccan lanterns and pathways to the ocean. A huge plus of this hotel, which is a luxury hotel in its size and quality, is that you can wander to the beautiful beach in minutes. The beach is always peaceful and quiet; at the Mazagan you feel hundreds of miles away from the over-crowded/loud beach resorts on the European coastlines. The sea itself is quite rough, but amazing to swim in. They have lifeguards always on hand to put you at ease. We would often relax by the pool in the day (the pool is lovely) and pop down to the beach for a swim in the sea in late afternoon when it wasn't too hot.

The food was incredible, breakfast of freshly made omelettes (to your liking) and fresh coffee with an abundance of fruit and bread was perfect. The lunches served by the pool side were always fresh and beautifully presented. The evening food, served in the Market Place if you are half board, was amazing! I would recommend their salads, sushi, Moroccan cuisine and curries. The desserts were all created by a patisserie chef and were also amazing - especially the pistachio macaroons!

The spa was amazing. The hammam is well worth a visit, which is included in your stay, and the gym/tennis facilities are excellent. I booked in for a aromatherapy massage and it was truly one of the best I've ever had - the therapist asked lots of initial questions about health and what I wanted from the massage.

You can keep an eye on your bill throughout your stay and we did this via the TV in our room. The bill was spot-on at the end of the week, with nothing unexpected added. The transfer from the hotel to the airport was also great. On our way in we were delayed, and I kept them informed via email which worked well. They still sent out a transfer coach at 3am!

Although we went on this trip as a couple, I could see it was a perfect place also for families. We chatted to a few people who were v impressed with the children's clubs and facilities available.

A few niggles (but by no means negative): The hotel casino is fun but a bit smokey and dingy compared to 5*Vegas or other similar hotel/casino complexes. The drinks are vv expensive (£7 for bottled beer, £4 for coke etc) but they have a 2 for 1 deal between 6-8 in main bar which we took advantage of. They also give you complimentary bottles of water in your room. The hotel is in middle of nowhere ( perfect for a relaxing break) but they have no shop at the hotel, so all of your snacks etc have to be bought from the cafes or restaurant, this wasnt a bad thing but could add up if you had children there for 2 weeks. Finally, Air Arabia is a truly budget airline and queuing is common, it made Ryan Air seem luxurious!

In summary, if you want a luxurious & beautiful hotel, access to the beach, hot weather, helpful staff and fab food/wine then you've come to the right place. Book it :)

Room Tip: Request a complimentary upgrade on arrival - we did and got a part- ocean view room which was amazin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank KTBristol83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Gibraltar
Reviewed August 1, 2013

In my opinion, you cannot really give this 5 star hotel, a bad review! You can only give it constructive criticism! A magnificent hotel, beautiful architecture, grounds & facilities, top notch. beautiful beach, fantastic pools, food & service all impeccable. Great hotel for everyone, especially families, staff super friendly & helpful. Very safe environment. Never seen lifeguards so attentive to their work, especially children. Many things to do, if you are not sure of something, just ask, they will go out of their way to help you. Free Shuttle service for everything, but, if out of their schedules, do not be afraid to arrange for a car, it works out really cheap! Be warned smoking is allowed in Morocco, but, hotel has certain arrears that smoking isn't allowed, especially main hotel restaurants, Olive & Market Place, so you can avoid the smoke, but not in the Casino, I am afraid it is smokers paradise in there, but, it is a beautiful Casino open 24 hours, so, if no smokers in there, you can enjoy it. Palm Grill restaurant in there, is superb too!
Lie in the Magnificent sunbeds by the Beach Club, I recommend the Virgin Mojitos, soak in sun, sea & watch the action, camels, a pony called Shakira, horses, people having crazy fun in the sea with the waves, & the poor lifeguard blowing with his whistle, for bathers to stay within the safe arrears. Security on the beach, secures the beach area, Camel keeper, will put on a great show for you, camels in the water, & he rides them standing on their back!Trust me your kids & you will love it! My constructive criticism? More english speaking staff, a no smoking policy, more family entertainment in the evening, harder pillows, & when people book, please advice that if its Ramadam season, explain the changes to restaurant itenaries. i would like to add, this hotel is so clean, that, its private beach, even though they had horses & camels up & down, never saw them poo, nor any of it on the beach, do they train these animals when to poo & all?

Room Tip: if a light sleeper, make sure that they do not give you a room with connecting doors! Noise travels...
4 Thank YaltaPons
Hertfordshire
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My partner and I travelled to Mazagan Resort 13-20th July. We wanted a week away of pure relaxation, nice food & wine and good weather, in a luxury resort. I would certainly say the Mazagan Beach resort met our expectations. The hotel itself is large but once you familiarise yourself with the layout, its easy to find your way around. Our room overlooked the pool area and was spacious (2 double beds) and cleaned daily. The pool area was lovely and we never struggled to find beds (and they were extremely comfortable) and there was always staff around to help move beds/umbrellas etc. The waiter service around the pool was a bit slow and often difficult to attract attention.
We were unaware that it was Ramadan when we booked, not that it had a great impact, but the hotel was generally quieter and some of the restaurants & the nightclub were closed.
RESTAURANTS/BARS - generally very good - the all inclusive buffet "Market Place" had wonderful variety of all types of cuisine from around the world; if you prefer waiter service, we loved "Cheringuitos" (fish restaurant right on beach). The king prawns and calamari were to die for and sitting at the bar later in the afternoon, I had the best mojito I have ever tasted.
We were not too impressed with the Moroccan restaurant - service was slow and food not that great. I was told food at golf club was outstanding, but we did not eat there. One downside with the beach bar was the DJ music which when you are relaxing looking out over the ocean, was not appropriate as Ibiza club type music.
Bars were slightly lacking we felt for a 5 star - for the evening there was really only the main bar lounge if you didn't want to go into the Casino and this hardly ever had piano music and was generally over-run with children sitting at the bar.
DRINK - if like us you like a few glasses of wine or cocktails (or both !) would absolutely recommend that you go all inclusive. It doesnt include all drinks, but most well known cocktails, beers, spirits and fairly decent local wine. The cost of a cocktail is around £15; and local wine around £30 a bottle. It's easy to see how the cost could mount up if you're not all inclusive.
STAFF - we generally found them to be very friendly and welcoming; despite it being Ramadan and I am sure being hungry when serving food to guests !
BILL - as per other comments, would suggest you ask for printout of your bill a day ahead of departure. Because this is not strictly an all inclusive hotel, many people are on different packages and often amounts are added to your bill which are not valid.
GENERAL AMBIANCE - we loved the laid back feel of the hotel, but would say if you are looking for a bit of liveliness in the evening, this hotel is probably not for you (certainly if you go during Ramadan when the nightclub is closed). The beach is lovely and we thoroughly enjoying sitting in the beach restaurant watching the sun go down and camel/horse rides going on.

Overall, we had a lovely time, made all the more special by my boyfriend proposing to me on the beach :-) and we do hope to return to the hotel to marry next year.
Having said that, I wouldn't say I would quite give this hotel a 5* rating, more 4+* I think would be appropriate. However, the mark of a good holiday is whether I would return and yes, I would definitely return to Mazagan Beach.

4 Thank LucyEllen066
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We booked a last minute holiday through Fleetway travel to this 5 * Hotel for £599 pp for one week. Never been to Morroco but wanted to have the 5* experience and relax. This is my experience of the hotel and holiday....

Gatwick airport - never been before and never want to go back. Arrived to check in 3 hours prior to flight as requested and the time the servisair ladies opened and started checking us in was 1 hour/one hour and half before the flight. This meant that we were practically running to the departure gate with no time to have some food or relax. Airline- airarabic, basically easy jet except there Is no alcohol served what so ever.

Transfer from airport was good in minibuses provided by the airport - cant say the same for the early morning return journey as our driver was falling asleep at the wheel !!! not the best way to end a holiday.

Reception was busy but we were lucky to get checked in straight away but they requested a credit card but as we don't have one we were asked to put a 5000 dirham down on our tab and would be refunded any monies left over. We were given room cards which also acted as your debit card for anything purchased during your stay including all meals and drinks.

Rooms we had two with inter connecting doors- just fantastic. Clean, spacious fantastic beds. Couldn't fault and couldn't ask for anything else.

First day it became clear that as it was Ramadan a lot of the information about the hotel was not correct as most of the places were either shut or closed during different times during the day. Had no problems with getting served alcohol given that I have very dark looks. If you did this can be resolved with your passport. You are given an allowance of 290 and 390 dirhams for dinner and lunch.. This can only be used on food does not include drinks. These amounts are very generous and we never used all of it most of the time. The water issue is a bit off a pain as this is included in your full board deal but non of the restaurant staff seem to understand this. The restaurant on the beach front is fantastic and the view is amazing over a nice cold Casablanca beer!!

Most of the staff make out that they understand what you are saying but the majority do not have a clue, and generally fob you off so in the end I just tried to figure things out for myself and luckily for me on check out the lady who worked with us on our bill spoke fluent English which was very helpful as this is the most stressful part of the holiday. I advise you to do this the day before you check out as this took me a good hour. Everything is charged to your room but unlike here they do not seem to have a computer system that would deduct your allowance off automatically. You are given the total bill and once you get over your heart failure you realise that now you have to start negotiating the bill and getting the staff member to manually deduct items that you should not be paying for. We got there in the end but surely there must be a better way!!!!

Pool and beach gorgeous and sunbeds the best I have ever lain on, with towels provided - luxury!! Only negative point why is the pool soo shallow basically deapest point is up to your tummy and im only 5.3, very bizarre. Sea very very choppy so don't go in with the kids I don't think it would be a good idea as it come thick and fast.

But if you look at that the overall deal for this price it is a lovely 5* hotel on a fantastic location, private, food fantastic, hotel so very clean what can you really complain about.......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank danlid
london
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The worst customer service we have ever encountered. One of our phones was stolen the first day of arriving at the Hotel. The management kept making false promises which never materialised.

Be warned who ever is planning to go there to check there bill very carefully as our bill was totally incorrect and we had been charged for all the meals which were included in our deal. We spend one and half hours going through this bill. Although we picked out many mistakes, upon our return we noticed that we had been charged tourist tax for the day we were not even in the hotel. We arrived at the hotel on the 19 July and we have been charged for the 18 July onwards.

If I hadn't have checked our bill, we would have left paying around 7000 dirhams too much. On top of having the phone stolen which is worth more than 7000 dirhams.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank harmeet c
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Spectacular hotel, location,beaches and helpful staff but a little disorganised.

Initially took about 24 hours to get our bearings. Our room is one of the furthest from the amenities but closest to the beach. Going by previous reviews I thought we would have a huge hike to dinner but it only a few minutes stroll. Our room is spacious with 2 queen beds, separate bath and shower.

RESTAURANTS - not every restaurant is open every night and doesn't follow the advertised opening hours. I suggest that you visit the very helpful gentleman at guest services who will find out what the opening days actually are and book in accordingly (a plan of eating will ensure you don't miss out or have the chance to visit a second time). We also found that Morjana was open last night when we were told it wouldn't be - thus my disorganised comment. A sun downer drink at Chiringuito is a must- Hamids Mojito IS the best! surprisingly it gets a bit cool as the sun goes down so you may need a wrap. We are here during Ramadam and found the Market Place buffet manic after sunset. The food was very nice and LOADS of choice but really hectic and drinks slow to come. Morjana is beautiful, with lovely attentive staff. The food was great and loads of it. We couldn't manage desert. Sel de Mer is mainly seafood, absolutely gorgeous! Is a bit more fine dining with beautifully presented plates (main courses on the smaller side but plenty when having 3 courses). Breakfast on the terrace at Olives is lovely but the drinks are a bit slow to be served and it again has a bit of a 'busy'' atmosphere. We have found the Market Place more relaxing with smaller queues for omelettes and pancakes with better drinks service. Lunch at Chiringuito or theBBQ restaurant on the beach are both excellent although the band can be a bit too loud in Chiringuito when playing. If doing the Fleetway all inclusive the 290DMH for lunch and 390DMH for dinner is generous and the house wine is not charged to that (it is free in your drinks allowance separately ). Both Morjana and Sel de Mer have a 3 course menu which is exactly 390 or you can choose from main menu and add up cost.

The gym and spa are lovely. I have just had a traditional Hamman scrub which is a long steam, scrub with an exfoliating mitt which you get to keep, moisturising rub, shampoo and condition with chill in relaxation room afterwards all wrapped up in towels with a magazine. Great value at 200DMH (£15.50) with the 50% all inclusive discount.

Teenage club - our 14 year old is happy to pop in and out as it suits him and has got in involved in the activities of his choice. Some staff have better English than others but as guests are mainly French speaking that is understandable.

ACTIVITIES - the list of activities gives a time table. Some you just turn up at a meeting point for and some you need to book at the activities desk opposite reception.

TV Guide - if you go into the menu on the TV remote it gives you the option of choosing a guide to the hotel facilities and checking your bill which is really helpful. We found we had been charged for a bottle of wine which should have been included but a trip to guest services opposite reception quickly sorted that out

Smoking - the odd person is smoking, not everyone although the casino becomes a bit like lung cancer central later in the evening!

Tipping - we have chosen to tip in cash at the same rate we would pay at home when we think it is appropriate. A trip to the bank in the casino to exchange sterling for DMH and request 5 , 10 and 20 notes allows you to tip as you please.

Beach - is beautiful, REALLY quiet with a nice breeze. The life guard is completely on the ball and in control which is great with the strong current and occasional undertow

Enough for now - off for lunch!

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank fordymacc51
LONDON
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Summary

The hotel is undoubtedly beautiful and has great facilities. On the whole, most of the staff are very helpful and welcoming, he pool is amazing and the beach is large but a bit too choppy for less confident swimmers to enjoy. The food we only considered average but the thing that lets this place down is the management who made our exit unnecessarily difficult leaving a sour taste in our mouth rather than leaving wanting more.

Full Review

You cannot fault the intention of this place. The hotel is clean and beautifully finished - but 5* service - its not quite there yet.

We arrived late (about 3am) with a large group of other people who booked with Fleetway. The check-in took an awful long time due to the sheer number of people trying to check-in but here is where the hotel firsts failure became apparent. No welcome drinks whilst people were waiting and no food waiting in rooms once we did get checked-in - seeing as we had paid for the hotel for the previous day so we could check in as soon as we arrived, we would have expected these touches for a 5* hotel.

Gym is great - beautiful out look and well equipped.

Spa - very professional staff and again really well finished and worth an experience.

Beach - plenty of beds at two different locations on the beach. Only thing which i found a little annoying was having to weave my way through the camel poop to get to the sea as the hotel offers horse and camel rides along the beach - more of an issue if you have kids i suppose. The waiter service on the beach was also very efficient but un-intrusive so that's a plus.

Pool - really spacious with plenty of beds. They give you towels so you don't need to take your own (save yourself some suitcase space). Sun beds were really comfy. The only niggle were the stray cats (they are not hotel cats!) taking a dip in the pool or roaming around in the restaurant.

Restaurants - we tried as many as we could so reviews set out below:

- oasis pool bar - pasta pizza and salad by the pool - easy food for lunch
- olives - we only had brekkie here but a good hot and cold selection
- sal de mer - more formal dining french fish restaurant - tasty but our food came to us cold :-/
- morjana - the oriental restaurant with moroccan/lebanese menu??! slightly confused and average tasting food
- beach bbq - our fav - the bbq menu which was super tasty and most reasonably priced
- chiringuito - fish restaurant - good tasty food with a nice relaxed Marbella type vibe.
- market place - lots of variety so you will find something to eat.

Unfortunately, many of the restaurants were not open, or open at odd times because it was ramadam so we did not get to go to them all. But one of the nice things was there were live performances by different bands intermittently which was a nice touch.

Drinks - are super duper expensive - even the non-alcoholic drinks (approx £4 for a can coke). The happy hour isn't quite so happy once they explain you have to order two drinks per person and it has to be the same drinks in order for it to be free - so you can end up with two drinks you dont like!

Casino - we went once - no great vibe and high minimum bids.

Nightclub - wasn't open over ramadam - slightly odd as the casino was?!

Service - was fine on the whole. We didn't use room service so cannot comment. Our biggest issue was when we wanted to settle our bill before checking out (let me just say, we were lucky we checked out the night before as the we had an early leaving slot the following today).

We went on the full board option. Others were all inclusive or half board. For the staff there was no way to know the different board basis guests were staying on (no wristbands for example). A number of times we asked staff if things were included in our package (i.e. water) to which we were given incorrect information.

Our initial check-out bill came to over 3800 moroccan dirhams (about £380). We had to go through this with a fine toothcomb which took over 40 minutes. Things were added to our bill from the mini bar which we did not use. The water which was meant to be free hadn't been taken off the bill. Some of our meals were not taken off the bill even though we were full board. At one point a dessert had been left on which we queried to which we were told that desserts were not included in our package (??!!) but not to worry it will be taken off the bill. I asked how i am meant to know what is included in the package to which Halima (the most unhelpful front desk staff i have ever encountered) said the restaurant would have informed me - very odd seeing as she took every other dessert we ate off.

And here within lies the issue - she manually removed things off our bill which meant 1. it took ages and 2. there were mistakes. By the time we eventually finished checking our bill (it had to be printed 3 times and was originally 2 full sides of items) the total bill was 2700 dirhams and one side of items. If we had not taken our time to check our bill, we would have left the hotel £100 lighter! Every time i queried something on the bill was an inconvenience for Halima and she got annoyed when i asked a question on our bill and muttered to herself under her breath - bad bad customer service for a 5* hotel!

This also wasn't the first time we encountered bad and somewhat aggressive service. When we signed up to use the casino, we were given some vouchers including 25% off food. The vouchers were written in french which neither of us read. We asked a waitress in the market place whether we could use this on drinks. She said we could - so we ordered a bottle of wine. Then our bill came! the waitress said the voucher was just for food and not drinks. We explained that one o the waitresses had informed us we could use this on drinks also so she went to get a cashier. The cashier said the same thing again we explained we only ordered drinks because we were informed we can use it on drinks - to which the cashier decided he would call the manager. The manager came over repeated the same thing, shoved the vouchers in our face noting it is just for food - YES but we don't read french that's why we asked your staff. He just could not understand this simple concept and got very aggressive. He said the person who gave us the voucher should have explained what we can use the voucher but we had received it a number of days earlier. Round and round in circles until he said he would dock the waitresses wages for the amount because she gave incorrect information. To which we just said forget it.

When we checked out early morning on our last day, they had not ordered enough shuttles (!) so we had to wait for 25 minutes until a car eventually came to drop us - just poor planning really.

If this was a one-off i think we would just call ourselves unlucky - but a number of guests we spoke to encountered similar issues checking out. Things added from the mini bar, wrong information, managers who just would not accept and reimburse you for the hotels mistakes - it just got draining.

I will therefore, reluctantly (as the resort is lovely) not be returning or recommending this place.

7 Thank GkCLondon