“A rip off in paradise”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pointe de Flacq
Bicester, United Kingdom
“A rip off in paradise”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I feel I could ramble on about this one, but I'll try to keep it brief.

Came here as a honeymoon couple after an amazing tour of South Africa. On arrival you are hit by an amazing, opulent lobby where you think you're going to be spoilt. We had asked for a suite on stilts a year in advance, however we did not get this, despite a couple booking a few months ago and getting this. First disappointment.

Arrived in the room which was lovely, but the bath had stains on. Again, not great for an allegedly 6* hotel. Housekeeping promptly cleaned this.

Food pretty good but occasionally fell short. Breakast was good but there were birds and stray animals helping themselves to the buffet which was a little gross.

Pool very nice, but on the last day we were told we could not go in the pool in the morning as they were taking publicity shots. Disgusted we were told this, and proceeded to ignore them and went by the pool anyway.

The drink prices were absolutely abhorrent, when you are paying £18 for a gin and tonic you expect it delivered on a rare lotus leaf by trained raccoons. These high prices were prevalent throughout the resort, and meant the bars were empty at night as no one wanted to pay such high prices. Further, I was constantly overcharged or charged twice for drinks, so I felt I constantly had to keep my guard up when paying the bill. For example, I ordered a non-alcoholic cocktail at the beach in the morning, but when I went to pay it was double the price. When I asked why they stated that they put vodka in it. Unbelievable!

You don't expect to be constantly irritated by these kinds of things on your honeymoon, the manager proceeded to treat us to lunch after hearing our complaints as well as knock a marginal amount off the bill, however these memories will stay with us, so overall very disappointing considering the hotel itself is amazing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Juggsy84
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Prince Maurice, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for having chosen our hotel during your stay in Mauritius, in October 2012 and for having spared your valuable time in writing a review on Trip Advisor.

I am very sorry to read that our service level did not meet your expectations at the time of your honeymoon celebration and we acknowledge having received your remarks whilst you were still at the hotel, whereby we did react immediately to the various points raised.

The period you stayed with us followed the re-opening of our hotel, after a major refurbishment held in July and August 2012. We have received many good feedback since and continuous improvements have been made at all levels.

We are now part of the 'Leading Hotels of the World' and we have adhered out operating standards to be in line with theirs to ensure 100% satisfaction from all persons who choose to stay in our property.

We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you once again.

I shall request you to contact me personally in order to follow-up your reservation, grant you an upgrade depending on the period and insure you do spend a memorable vacations at 'Constance Le Prince Maurice'
With my kindest regards,

Christophe Plantier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Literally couldn't rave about it more! You will never have experienced such fantastic and thorough service in your life until you visit here. The hotel itself is immaculate and the views in and around the hotel are like something from a fantasy! Everything is so well organised and the team here goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome and cater to your needs. Everyone is friendly. The opportunities for the things you can do here are hugely varied and you can even do a cookery course in Mauritian style food, which the whole family can enjoy when you try your creation for lunch. In summary, well worth a visit!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lyn W
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Prince Maurice, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Madam,

First of all, I wish to thank you for having chosen to stay in our hotel together with your family during your recent trip in Mauritius.

I am very happy to see that everybody in your family did take good advantage of the different services offered.

I am happy to have had the pleasure of welcoming you at 'Constance Le Prince Maurice' and ensure that you spend a very special holiday with us.

I do hope to welcome you again for another memorable experience in the near future.

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

The best hotel every thing you will found here in Constance le Prince Maurice comfortable place nice food and the best service you will found it here nice people realy if I come again this is my hotel Constance Le Prince

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for having spared your valuable time to write a review on this site.

I am happy to know that you did enjoy your stay and do hope that you will consider 'Constance Le Prince Maurice' for a return trip.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case you wish to come back in any 'Constance' hotels and I shall be most delighted to assist.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

What a fabulous hotel. Everything was done to make our stay wonderful. The service was excellent and the food outstanding. We have visited Mauritius many times and always enjoyed our stays but the Prince Maurice is a cut above the rest. The golf at Belle Mare was enjoyable as usual.
Hopefully we will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

I am very happy to read these kind comments on your stay at 'Constance Le Prince Maurice' and I wish to thank you for sharing this holiday experience to other potential travelers.

Great to know that you managed to balance a relaxing holiday together with some rounds of golf at the Links and Legends courses.

I will look forward to your return trip in the near future.

London, UK
Reviewed July 20, 2013

On every level it is hard to beat. The service is understated yet intuitive, the food particularly at Barachois is the best I've ever tasted, our beach front villa was exquisite, the materials used, the design it will not date it will just 'age' as a hotel. This is not a big resort but just the right size for friends and family if you want time to together to relax. When was the last time you found bar snacks memorable ? That is the sort of place this is. Love it love it, better than Anan resorts. This must be the hidden jewel crown in the crown of the Constance group. I now feel like we should visit the new resorts in the Seychelles and Maldives. If you want timeless elegance, outstanding food, amazing service, stunning rooms and a real slice of franco-mauritian style, then this is the place for you. Enjoy !!

Room Tip: Beach front !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having spared your valuable time in writing this review on Trip Advisor.

Your remarks demonstrates your high level of satisfaction and I do hope to welcome you back for a return trip in the near future.

Of course, we shall be happy to welcome you in any Constance Hotels, whether in Seychelles and Maldives as well.

Kind regards,
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had the chance to stay the second time at this fantastic hotel – as soon as arrived we felt like arriving home. The hotel is top but people makes the difference, they are all tremendous, are trying to read wishes before you had the chance to express them – it’s not only training and culture, they love what they do. The new wine cellar is impressive and in the Asian food restaurant we had the best Sushi’s we ever had. I can only recommend to visitors of this site to take the opportunity for a stay at Le Prince Maurice and congratulate the hotel team for all what they do - no doubt we will be back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carlo W
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your holiday experience on 'Trip Advisor' following your second visit with us.

Our mission is to 'turn guest's dreams into emotional experiences' and I am very happy to read your review where you highlight the special attention of our team members and their continuous effort to go the 'extra mile'. I must say that our staff does stand apart in their professionalism and many guests refer to the 'Princely touch' in our service delivery.

I am happy to see that you did visit the new wine cellar and did have the opportunity of tasting the sushi at the new Asian restaurant.

I sincerely hope that you will consider 'Constance Le Prince Maurice' for a third visit in the near future.

Yours,
nice
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I loved every second of my stay at Le Prince Maurice, from the glass of champagne every morning we had with breakfast, to lazy lunches on the beach, to having an invigorating waterski (included which is rare!), hopping on the glass bottom boat for some snorkelling with Jean- Michel, doing a spot of putting (very badly and unbeknown to me the guy next to me was the in-house golf pro!) and and then dining under the stars at the beautiful Barachois restaurant (you have to try the chocolate coconut dessert).

Our room, situated overlooking the lagoon was beautiful and very peaceful and it was difficult getting out of bed in the morning as the bed was the most comfortable I have ever stayed in.

Nothing is too much for any of the hotel team, service was impeccable (although having my plate taken from my every morning at the breakfast buffet and carried to the table so I could walk unimpeded is not something I usually require :D) and you were always met by a smile.

The hotel is not very busy at this time of year, which personally I loved as I felt we had the whole place to ourselves and it was exactly what I needed to unwind. You might want to go later on in the year though if you prefer more of hustle and bustle.

This trip has definitely turned me into a Constance Hotel fan and I hope that I will be able to holiday at some of their other resorts in the future.

Thank you for making our holiday so great!

Room Tip: We had Suite 12 overlooking the lagoon which we loved, but the ones directly on the beach looked eve...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Prince Maurice, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for having chosen 'Constance Le Prince Maurice Hotel' during your recent trip in Mauritius.

Hope you did have a safe trip back home and that you did not have much trouble in adapting back to normal life back home.

Our service standards have been devised in a way to make the stay of our guest be 'hassle-free' and treat him like royalty. I am happy to note that these little touches did somehow make you feel special.

Thank you for the different holiday tips that you highlighted in the different service outlets that can only help the guest in experiencing a memorable time with us.

I will be very happy to welcome you back for another stay in our hotel.

With kind regards,
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel
Shanti Maurice - A Nira Resort
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Constance Prince Maurice? Share your experiences!