This is an accomplished and refined hotel. Without really having truly anything remarkable, it delivered a relaxing and luxurious holiday. Our boys, 7 and 4, were very unwilling to leave.
We stayed in a villa beachfront. It was spacious and smart in plantation style. It looked down through some trees to the beach. The view here is lagoon and mangrove thickets rather than a true seascape. Our private pool was beautifully warm. The room team was helpful and flexible. Plenty of water delivered free and - a nice touch - lots of fresh fruit replenished daily.
Assured, friendly and always ready to help. On the beach water is given free and glasses polished. Improved over 10 days as many staff got to know us and our preferences and remembered them. Mehess at the main pool was great.
Variable: some excellent dishes, including local curries and the daily soufflé, some disappointing. The main restaurant probably best, though the floating Barachois should be tried. We did not like the Asian restaurant. Half-board is good value here – the food is expensive. The wine list is extensive and pricey, with some good value new world wines. One big plus – we made plenty of off-menu requests and allmost very time these were accommodated. The one time they did not deliver (our 7-year old requested a tiramisu) they produced the dish specially the next day.
Kids Club was caring and adequate. There did not seem to be the energy of clubs like that of the Reethi Rah say. Still they did fishing, treasure hunts etc. Some of the activities were cancelled due to high winds. Staff in general were kid- oriented - finding beach toys for kids, helping with minor injuries etc.
Our boys made friends and played a lot in the main pool area. They also enjoyed exploring the small islands close offshore.
A haven, with soothing music blending with the sounds of the surf and the wind in the palms. You know the treatments are excellent when even the odd sound of your children playing in the nearby kids club cannot break the spell.
Water sports are almost all free – even if you need someone to give you a lesson. These include kayaks, Hoby cats, Lasers and water skiing. Unfortunately there is no snorkelling off the beach - in fact very little sea life at all. Just offshore the water is murky and the bottom covered in weed and rocks. If you want to snorkel, you have to go out the reef. Their glass-bottomed boat goes out twice daily, but even then it can be hard to snorkel in the currents and wind. Two decent tennis courts with a friendly young pro, Ben. Adults-only lap pool is quiet and pleasant.
Part of our stay was affected by the near miss of Cyclone Imelda, but the East Coast of Mauritius gets the South-East trade winds in any case. This makes snorkelling hard and lowers water visibility. The constant breeze does keep the place cool, though. Depending on the time of year, there can be a lot of rain, but you don’t mind this, as showers and sun alternate and it is always warm.
Other East Coast hotels we visited include Four Seasons, Touessrok and St Geran. In comparison we were very pleased to be at Prince Maurice. The Touessrok and St Geran rooms looked smaller and were certainly more crammed together. Prince Maurice was relatively sheltered from the wind as well. We would consider the Four Seasons as an alternative, where the rooms are all villas and the vibe is livelier and more glam, but if you are going for the Mauritius East Coast, a beachfront villa at the Prince Maurice is probably as good as you’ll get.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the ultimate romantic hideaway, where stunning architectural design meets relaxed luxury. Step into this high functioning deluxe paradise, and choose from one of the 64 Junior suites, 12 Family suites, 12 Villas or the sumptuous Princely Villa. Revel in the intimate and secluded setting, pamper yourself at the renowned Sisley spa and U Spa by Constance, then enjoy the exceptional international cuisine created by our chefs from around the world. Families enjoy the beach-side villas and complimentary children's club 'Constance Kids Club', while golf fans can retreat to our 2, 18-hole championship golf courses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with MrandMrsSmith, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, TravelUp, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Constance Prince Maurice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Constance Le Prince Maurice Hotel Poste De Flacq
- Le Prince Maurice Hotel
- Constance Prince Maurice Mauritius/Pointe De Flacq